How to change your OPDA

My 05 had this happen and it was under warranty (it happened back in 06....) but my question is, what did they replace it with? Did they just put the same poorly engineered part back in?
Chances are they put the same type back in...my recollection is they discovered it being a bigger issue than originally thought later than 06, but I could be wrong. There's also the chance that your replacement might never have any issues. There were a lot of TJs made in 05-06 which don't have an issue.

Does the 05-06 OPDA in question look physically different from the earlier year TJ ones that don't have the oil-starvation issue?

Good question. I've never compared them side-by-side, but I'd sure like to see it. I guess anything can fail on any model of vehicle, regardless of year, engine, etc. But for the most part it's the 05-06s models that seem to have the most reported issue of OPDA failure (at least from what I've read online).

My 2002 4.0L has about 145k on the clock. Would you guys recommend replacing it with the Crown unit proactively, or are your experiences to wait until you hear that howling and then do it?

RC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

This will open a can 'o worms.

As someone who has just changed the OPDA, it appears there is some confusion with the recall for the oil pump drive gear and the squeal from the oil pump drive assembly where the top brass bush runs dry and eventually squeals and wears itself out.

I've found this recall letter on Wrangler forums, the issue the letter talks about is what will cause possible engine failure. It talks about the oil pump drive gear on approx. 16,000 vehicles.

The squealing you get from the OPDA where the top brass bush runs dry will not cause engine failure by itself (although I suppose if you kept running with the thing going nuts it would either flog out the bushes causing further issues or seize).

E05 MAR 2005 Campaign - Engine Oil Pump Drive Gear/Cam Replacement .

Revised June 2005

Dealer Service Instructions for:

Customer Satisfaction Notification E05
Oil Pump Drive Gear

A revised drive gear parts package has been released. The second roll pin hole must be drilled in the revised drive gear.

2005 (TJ) Jeep(R) Wrangler

NOTE : This notification applies only to the above vehicles equipped with a 4.0L eligible ("S" in the 8th VIN position) and an engine build code between 902944 (October 20, 2004) and 900325 (February 1, 2005).

IMPORTANT : Some of the involved vehicles may be in dealer vehicle inventory. Dealers should complete this repair on these vehicles before retail delivery. Dealers should also perform this repair on vehicles in for service. Involved vehicles can be determined by using the VIP inquiry process.

Subject

The oil pump drive gear on about 16,000 of the above vehicles may wear out prematurely and cause engine failure due to a loss of oil pressure.

Repair

The camshaft position sensor/oil pump drive assembly date code label must be inspected. Units within a specific date code range must have the drive gear replaced.

All unsold vehicles must have the oil pump drive gear replaced prior to retail delivery to eliminate the risk of engine failure due to premature oil pump drive gear wear. On sold vehicles, the cam/crank angle must also be checked with the DRB III scan tool. Engines found with excessive cam/crank angle must have the oil pump drive gear and the engine camshaft replaced.

Alternate Transportation

Dealers should attempt to minimize customer inconvenience by placing the owner in a loaner vehicle if inspection determines that an engine camshaft is required and the vehicle must be held overnight.

Parts Information

Special Tools

The Special Tools may be required to perform this service procedure.

Completion Reporting and Reimbursement

Claims for vehicles that have been serviced must be submitted on the DealerCONNECT Claim Entry Screen located on the Service tab. Claims submitted will be used by DaimlerChrysler to record Customer Satisfaction Notification service completions and provide dealer payments.

Use one of the labor operation numbers and time allowances shown.

Add the cost of the parts package plus applicable dealer allowance to your claim.

NOTE : See the Warranty Administration Manual, Recall Claim Processing Section, for complete claim processing instructions.

Dealer Notification

All dealers will receive a copy of this dealer notification letter by mail. Two additional copies will be sent through the DCMMS. This notification can be viewed on DealerCONNECT by selecting "Global Recall System" on the Service tab, then clicking on the description of this notification.

Owner Notification and Service Scheduling

All involved vehicle owners known to DaimlerChrysler are being notified of the service requirement by mail. They are requested to schedule appointments for this service with their dealers. A generic copy of the owner letter is included.

Enclosed with each owner letter is an Owner Notification postcard to allow owners to update our records if applicable.

Vehicle lists, Global Recall System, VIP and Dealer Follow UP

All involved vehicles have been entered into the DealerCONNECT Global Recall System (GRS) and Vehicle Information Plus (VIP) for dealer inquiry as needed.

GRS provides involved dealers with an updated VIN list of their incomplete vehicles. The owner's name, address and phone number are listed if known. Completed vehicles are removed from GRS within several days of repair claim submission.

To use this system, click on the "Service" tab and then click on "Global Recall System." Your dealer's VIN list for each recall displayed can be sorted by: those vehicles that were unsold at recall launch, those with a phone number, city, zip code, or VIN sequence.

Dealers should perform this repair on all unsold vehicles before retail delivery.

Dealers should also use the VIN list to follow up with all owners to schedule appointments for this repair.

VIN lists may contain confidential, restricted owner name and address information that was obtained from the Department of Motor Vehicles of various states. Use of this information is permitted for this notification only and is strictly prohibited from all other use.

Additional Information

If you have any questions or need assistance in completing this action, please contact your Service and Parts District Manager.

Customer Services Field Operations
DaimlerChrysler Corporation

Reactions: Chris and cruzcode
This will open a can 'o worms.

As someone who has just changed the OPDA, it appears there is some confusion with the recall for the oil pump drive gear and the squeal from the oil pump drive assembly where the top brass bush runs dry and eventually squeals and wears itself out.

I've found this recall letter on Wrangler forums, the issue the letter talks about is what will cause possible engine failure. It talks about the oil pump drive gear on approx. 16,000 vehicles.

The squealing you get from the OPDA where the top brass bush runs dry will not cause engine failure by itself (although I suppose if you kept running with the thing going nuts it would either flog out the bushes causing further issues or seize).

Super helpful. Thanks man.

RC

My 05 had this happen and it was under warranty (it happened back in 06....) but my question is, what did they replace it with? Did they just put the same poorly engineered part back in?

They put in a new opda with a hole drilled into some shaft. I dont remember the details, but it is outlined in the TSB.

Reactions: FireJeep
My 2002 4.0L has about 145k on the clock. Would you guys recommend replacing it with the Crown unit proactively, or are your experiences to wait until you hear that howling and then do it?

RC

I am also wondering if my 2000 TJ 4.0 is a candidate for the same exact replacement part, that is being discussed on 04-05'?

I am also wondering if my 2000 TJ 4.0 is a candidate for the same exact replacement part, that is being discussed on 04-05'?

I personally listened for symptoms.. then made the change at 118k.

I think lifter ticking could be a sign as well... after I added mmo and changed my opda.. my lifter ticking was significantly reduced.. pretty much gone.

Maybe a bad opda equates to reduced oil flow and pressure.. idk.

Reactions: Sierra96

Per the recall letter posted above:

NOTE : This notification applies only to the above vehicles equipped with a 4.0L eligible ("S" in the 8th VIN position) and an engine build code between 902944 (October 20, 2004) and 900325 (February 1, 2005).

Went for a small drive today in my new to me Jeep, and had the CEL on (kind of pissed considering I literally just got it a week ago, but whatever). The code was P 0016, and when I looked it up it said it could be the OPDA, but I don’t have any screeching monkeys or anything like that. Should I still go ahead and replace it?

Now I get P 0344 as well. Could it be due to the cold?

Can you snap a picture of the OPDA to see if it’s stock or a replacement? If it’s a replacement and the PO didn’t use the mopar sensor that’s a common issue, as the aftermarket sensors are known to be rubbish.

Reactions: Carter6

@Carter6 that definitely appears to be the original OPDA, but I can't tell on the sensor itself. Mine threw a code and went into limp mode when it was outside in the crazy cold (5F-15F) for a few days, but it's been better since temps got up a little. I am not sure if my sensor is OEM or not with POs and some issues I had last fall that I foolishly took to a shop. Though I have one in my garage to put in. I think if you search the forum a few other people found that code with strange fixes (like O2 sensors and such).

@Carter6 that definitely appears to be the original OPDA, but I can't tell on the sensor itself. Mine threw a code and went into limp mode when it was outside in the crazy cold (5F-15F) for a few days, but it's been better since temps got up a little. I am not sure if my sensor is OEM or not with POs and some issues I had last fall that I foolishly took to a shop. Though I have one in my garage to put in. I think if you search the forum a few other people found that code with strange fixes (like O2 sensors and such).
It hasn’t been terribly terribly cold, but it has been below freezing. I’ll switch out the OPDA some time next week and see what happens.

It hasn’t been terribly terribly cold, but it has been below freezing. I’ll switch out the OPDA some time next week and see what happens.

It’s defintiely a good thing to do sooner than later to at least check the gear wear, it gave me a lot of peace of mind.

I had problems with throwing codes in cold weather after replacing the OPDA on my '05. Several different new sensors, including Mopar brand had the same issue. I found a used OEM OPDA on ebay with the original sensor and bought it. Swapped in the old OEM sensor and problem has been fixed through most of 2 winter seasons. I found another and bought it to have a spare.

I would have just used my original sensor but the housing was so corroded, I could not get it out without breaking it.

I think sellers have caught on to the scarcity and value of the original sensors and used OPDAs seem to be going for bigger $$ now on eBay.

I am really curious why all of the new sensors have issues in the cold. My best guess is that the specs provided by Mopar must be off and the original supplier knew how they should really be built but who knows.

I had problems with throwing codes in cold weather after replacing the OPDA on my '05. Several different new sensors, including Mopar brand had the same issue. I found a used OEM OPDA on ebay with the original sensor and bought it. Swapped in the old OEM sensor and problem has been fixed through most of 2 winter seasons. I found another and bought it to have a spare.

I would have just used my original sensor but the housing was so corroded, I could not get it out without breaking it.

I think sellers have caught on to the scarcity and value of the original sensors and used OPDAs seem to be going for bigger $$ now on eBay.

I am really curious why all of the new sensors have issues in the cold. My best guess is that the specs provided by Mopar must be off and the original supplier knew how they should really be built but who knows.
Interesting, so it may be the cold after all? I’m not sure if the sensor I have is OEM or not. Is there a way to tell?