How to change your OPDA

After viewing the video, I replaced my failing OPDA last night. Installation was a snap. Had to pull the battery cable to clear the CEL. Many kudos for posting this!
Wowee
Mine started tshirping and I got rid of it by spraying penetrating fluid with a modified nozzle onto the upper portion without pulling the OPDA
- at the time I didn’t know of this issue ,but I’ll get a new coming ASAP

Thx for the post !!!

Not sure if anyone still watches this thread but I just replaced the OPDA in my 06 because I got a p0016 and a p0300. So far the codes have gone away but there’s a ticking coming from the new crown opda. I can put my hand on it and clearly feel the ticking coming from the opda. Did I just get a lemon?
I am trying to diagnose an engine tick and my 06 OPDA has a loud tick. I have been trying to pinpoint it and after putting my hand on the OPDA cover there is a clear vibration that mimics the tick under the cover. Did you ever fix this?

I am trying to diagnose an engine tick and my 06 OPDA has a loud tick. I have been trying to pinpoint it and after putting my hand on the OPDA cover there is a clear vibration that mimics the tick under the cover. Did you ever fix this?
Nope, I'm living with it. I bought all the parts to replace the camshaft but have just been waiting till things get worse and i'm forced to do it since I really hate the fact I have to pay someone to evacuate the freon and then pay them to put it back. Also, I plan on replacing my heater core at the same time and i'm going OEM so I'm just waiting for a little more funds to hit my bank account since it's also gift giving time. From what I understand, because of the old OPDA and it's problems, it wore my camshaft gear out and the new OPDA is like running new brake pads and old rotors therefore causing the ticking due to different wear patterns. I believe nothing will happen to the motor if the camshaft eventually fails at the OPDA since it's just that one gear part. So, once shit goes south i'll be replacing it. The annoying part is i'll have to buy ANOTHER opda to wear properly with the new camshaft. I'll also be replacing the lifters obviously.

Nope, I'm living with it. I bought all the parts to replace the camshaft but have just been waiting till things get worse and i'm forced to do it since I really hate the fact I have to pay someone to evacuate the freon and then pay them to put it back. Also, I plan on replacing my heater core at the same time and i'm going OEM so I'm just waiting for a little more funds to hit my bank account since it's also gift giving time. From what I understand, because of the old OPDA and it's problems, it wore my camshaft gear out and the new OPDA is like running new brake pads and old rotors therefore causing the ticking due to different wear patterns. I believe nothing will happen to the motor if the camshaft eventually fails at the OPDA since it's just that one gear part. So, once shit goes south i'll be replacing it. The annoying part is i'll have to buy ANOTHER opda to wear properly with the new camshaft. I'll also be replacing the lifters obviously.
Why would you have to evacuate freon to go at the OPDA? Unless you are talking about the heater core project you're saving for. I've seen some write-ups that mention bearings in the OPDA getting chewed up and pieces break away and is the rattle you hear inside of the cover. Also if you unplug the cam sensor and wiggle the shaft there should be no play in it at all. Either way, mine has only been ticking for about a 6 months constantly (before it was just intermittently) and I would have piece of mind replacing it just because of what I hear it can cause to the engine.

Why would you have to evacuate freon to go at the OPDA? Unless you are talking about the heater core project you're saving for. I've seen some write-ups that mention bearings in the OPDA getting chewed up and pieces break away and is the rattle you hear inside of the cover. Also if you unplug the cam sensor and wiggle the shaft there should be no play in it at all. Either way, mine has only been ticking for about a 6 months constantly (before it was just intermittently) and I would have piece of mind replacing it just because of what I hear it can cause to the engine.
Because i’ll be replacing my camshaft with the motor still in the jeep. I’ll need to remove the radiator, condenser, and front grill to pull it out. I already replaced my OPDA and that’s why it’s ticking. I didn’t have a tick before that.

Reactions: isaac2098
Because i’ll be replacing my camshaft with the motor still in the jeep. I’ll need to remove the radiator, condenser, and front grill to pull it out. I already replaced my OPDA and that’s why it’s ticking. I didn’t have a tick before that.
I see, very odd stuff. Good luck

I see, very odd stuff. Good luck
If yours is ticking and you have those codes and haven’t replaced your OPDA with a crown unit yet, your camshaft is probably shot. I hope it isn’t but more than likely it is. Depending on your production date there was a recall for it. Mine was produced like 2-3 months are the end of the recall so supposedly it was “fixed” but it wasn’t.

If yours is ticking and you have those codes and haven’t replaced your OPDA with a crown unit yet, your camshaft is probably shot. I hope it isn’t but more than likely it is. Depending on your production date there was a recall for it. Mine was produced like 2-3 months are the end of the recall so supposedly it was “fixed” but it wasn’t.
I have the crown unit ordered but my Jeep is not giving me any codes at all and it’s not the “barrel of monkeys” sound, just ticking under the cap. I’m switching it out next week when it comes in so I’ll update here.

One of the most common issues with the 4.0 engine in the later model Wrangler TJs is the OPDA (oil pump drive assembly). The factory OPDA is designed with two oil impregnated bronze bushings separated by an oil seal. The upper bushing is cut off from lubrication by that seal, resulting in premature failure. Over time, radial movement develops in the shaft. Eventually, the complete assembly and camshaft will fail.

Jeep / Chrysler is well aware of the OPDA issue with these cars as they issued the E05 recall for some of the 2005 model 4.0 engines due to premature oil pump drive gear wear. This recall involved engines that were built between 10/20/2004 and 02/01/2005. However, don't be fooled by the recall dates as there are many owners of 2006 models (and even the years prior to 2005) that have experienced OPDA issues, including complete failure.

A worn oil pump drive assembly will show symptoms, such as a check engine light or a squeaking noise coming from the oil pump drive assembly itself (some people describe the noise as a loud screeching sound or something similar to a laughing barrel of monkeys).

The fact of the matter however is this is no laughing matter. Ignoring a bad OPDA can and will result in catastrophic engine failure which will put you in the hole for thousands of dollars. On the contrary, a replacement OPDA is only a bit more than $100, and it's a very easy thing to change out as well.

If you recently purchased a used Wrangler TJ one of the first things you should think about doing is to change out the OPDA with the redesigned Crown Automotive OPDA, regardless of what year your Wrangler TJ is.

The reengineered Crown OPDA moves the seal above the upper bushings, allowing oil to lubricate it. An oil channel was also added to the shaft to increase overall lubrication to the area.

You can purchase the Crown OPDA here.

The video below perfectly demonstrates step-by-step how to change out the OPDA.

Will this issue also affects a 2004 Wrangler TJ (X)? I have heard a screeching sound also. Not frequent but yes.

Last edited:
Will this issue also affects a 2004 Wrangler TJ (X)? I have heard a screeching sound also. Not frequent but yes.
The 04 doesn’t have an OPDA, but it still has something similar that can fail, yes.

Question for the OPDA gurus... I replaced mine yesterday. Ticking noise is gone!. While doing a post-mortem on the old part, I noticed wear in the hilicoidal gear, what I consider excesive play in the wheel that caused it to rub against the sensor, and wear on one side of the bottom part. I believe it was just miles away from a larger failure. Im intrigued by the wear on the lower portion. Where does it engages to, what could cause this wear?. I`m attaching a pic as a reference. (in this pic, the lower portion I`m talking about is on top right corner of the image...)

IMG_0624.jpg

Question for the OPDA gurus... I replaced mine yesterday. Ticking noise is gone!. While doing a post-mortem on the old part, I noticed wear in the hilicoidal gear, what I consider excesive play in the wheel that caused it to rub against the sensor, and wear on one side of the bottom part. I believe it was just miles away from a larger failure. Im intrigued by the wear on the lower portion. Where does it engages to, what could cause this wear?. I`m attaching a pic as a reference. (in this pic, the lower portion I`m talking about is on top right corner of the image...)

View attachment 216585
To the oil pump.

Reactions: H_Nunez
I'm glad you found it useful. I was trying to consolidate what I found on other forums that were basically 50+ pages of people talking about how to address their OPDA issues. You had to read through page after page of crap just to find an answer.

Hopefully this thread will give people a straight forward answer for years to come!
Hi, is there a way to see on my newly acquired 05 LJ if the OPDA was already changed out? thanks!

Hi, is there a way to see on my newly acquired 05 LJ if the OPDA was already changed out? thanks!
AS far as ID, the original had a shiny gear and the crown had a black gear...not sure if its always been that way...BUT...IMO if its got corrosion or looks old, replace it anyway..I just went through this. The prior owner had the recall done (documented) in 2006, but that meant it still had a Mopar ODPA in it....and the surface of the unit looked old...BTW, It was hard to find a Crown, many places on backorder, but I found one at Jegs last week (Jegs also has a Military/Veteran discount BTW). Mine had the Mopar sensor thank goodness (discontinued by Mopar!!), I kept the Crown sensor as a backup...

Anyone doing a camshaft re-learn after
Anyone doing a camshaft re-learn after replacing?
I just reached my opda this evening. Took about 1 hour. Once complete, I hooked up my Snap On Ethos diagnostic tool and very slowly turned the opda until I got a 0° cam/crank correlation reading. Took it for a test drive, and no more limp mode. I would post a screenshot if I knew how.