How to remove flexplate mounting bolts

H_E_H

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
How do I remove this six bolts on the flexplate. I have a second person up front, holding the engine from turning as I attempt to loosen the bolts, but I'm having no luck.
Should I spray a lubricant a few days before attempting to loosen them? Thanks for any insight.

PPxANIY.jpg

Sometimes a quick strong pull on a long breaker bar will get them going too. Yeah screwdriver, but it needs to be a big one so you don’t snap it off. (Or at least a decent quality one)

Reactions: H_E_H
Dude get yourself a frigging impact..harbor freight and Walmart even carry them now. Im not saying go buy one right now but definitely put it on your Christmas list

I don't even own an air compressor. Just a growing collection of the basic tools. I'll consider it though!

Sometimes a quick strong pull on a long breaker bar will get them going too. Yeah screwdriver, but it needs to be a big one so you don’t snap it off. (Or at least a decent quality one)

And if you don’t have an impact, wedge a screwdriver in the teeth to hold it in place

I'm not understanding this approach. I wedge the screwdriver in the teeth of the flexplate, but what is the screwdriver propped against to keep it from moving? Thanks

Shove a long screwdriver through a torque converter bolt hole to wedge the flex plate against the engine block.

I feel so spoiled from power tools after seeing this post, I zap them on and off all the time. Brap!!

I don't even own an air compressor. Just a growing collection of the basic tools. I'll consider it though!

The battery powered are what I use, and I have a large compressor and all the air tools. The Craftsman V20 battery impact does everything I need

• Wow
Reactions: H_E_H
Thanks for the pic.,
The battery powered are what I use, and I have a large compressor and all the air tools. The Craftsman V20 battery impact does everything I need

Dude. If there are battery-powered can do it, I may just make that purchase. Thanks

Reactions: TJ Jim
Harbor Freight Tools has a few inexpensive battery powered impact wrenches. They're too inexpensive to not acquire one and they're decent quality. I have one of their Bauer battery powered drills and it has been surprisingly good over several years now.

This is a 1/2" but they have 3/8" too which likely would be enough for bolt sizes like those. https://www.harborfreight.com/20v-cordless-12-in-impact-wrench-tool-only-63629.html Personally I use inexpensive air tools but a proper air compressor is not cheap.

Shove a long screwdriver through a torque converter bolt hole to wedge the flex plate against the engine block.

I feel so spoiled from power tools after seeing this post, I zap them on and off all the time. Brap!!

I have tried that, but the screwdriver was up against the side of the oil pan...? and had absolutely no leverage. I'll try again. Thanks

Harbor Freight Tools has a few inexpensive battery powered impact wrenches. They're too inexpensive to not acquire one and they're decent quality. I have one of their Bauer battery powered drills and it has been surprisingly good over several years now.

This is a 1/2" but they have 3/8" too which likely would be enough for bolt sizes like those. https://www.harborfreight.com/20v-cordless-12-in-impact-wrench-tool-only-63629.html Personally I use inexpensive air tools but a proper air compressor is not cheap.

Thanks, Jerry! Yeah, Most of my stuff is 3/8", so that's good to know. I'll probably make a trip to HF today. Thank you!

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Pneumatic tools are so yesterday...like Jerry said go to harbor freight and buy an impact gun they are a game changer

Reactions: Ticks