Ideal setup for 33 inch tires?

I have another question for you, i was curiously looking at your mod list and noticed that you did a 1" spacer in the front, was it the front only? and why. Did you do the heavy duty OME springs and how do you like them?
I have 1” of spacer in the front and 10mm spacer in the rear. I did this to level out the Jeep somewhat. Now my doors don’t fly forward when I get out of the Jeep.

I do have the OME HD springs (2933/2942). They work well for my situation. I’m particularly setting up for 33’s with a tummy tuck. I am exactly where I want to be right now. 4.25” in the front and 3.75” in the rear.

Reactions: D M
Ran OME 2” for years with 33” (285/75/r16) on Rubicon wheels. A little tire rub on PS at full left turn lock. Never really wheeled but I’m certain it would not be adequate.

I have the 2” OME with ranchos, a 1.25”BL and 295/75r16s and do wheel it. I eventually want 4” springs, but this thing is pretty capable as is. Under flex I’ll get some rubbing on the Antirock (hopefully Santa brings wheel spacers for now ).

I have 1” of spacer in the front and 10mm spacer in the rear. I did this to level out the Jeep somewhat. Now my doors don’t fly forward when I get out of the Jeep.
Why did you do less in the rear? was it for evening out full doors and hard top or something? do you remember the brands (links if you can ;)

I do have the OME HD springs (2933/2942). They work well for my situation. I’m particularly setting up for 33’s with a tummy tuck. I am exactly where I want to be right now. 4.25” in the front and 3.75” in the rear.
I plan to basically do this exact setup because i probably won't go 35s as I am still young and it is my daily. 33s, tummy tuck with an open Dana 30 locked Dana 44 is my ideal setup

Last edited:
Why did you do less in the rear? do you remember the brands (links if you can ;)

I plan to basically do this exact setup because i probably won't go 35s as I am still young and it is my daily. 33s, tummy tuck with an open Dana 30 locked Dana 44 is my ideal setup
In the front I actually have a 10mm OME spacer and a 3/4” Daystar spacer. It works out to about 1 1/16”. Probably not the best way, but I did not find any 1” spacers at the time. Before I added the 3/4” Daystar I considered a couple of other springs; 2941, which I believe is a ZJ spring IIRC, and JKS 3”. I could never get entirely happy with the prospect so I did the spacer. If I end up being happy at 3” for the long haul, I will switch the fronts out for some longer springs with lower spring rate.

In the rear I have a 10mm OME spacer

I think 33’s with around 4” of total lift and a tummy tuck is an amazing and very capable rig when you lock both axles. 😜

EDIT: I will be doing highlines in the front/rear, im going with the poison spyder defender XCs with the 3" flare for up front, rear will have the full aluminum armor with 3" flare, and a tummy tuck

I'd urge you to rethink the defender XCs up front. They're 3/16" steel and they are heavy. Stock is somewhere around 18lbs a piece, and PS are 32. You are going to add 30+lbs up front. If I could do it over again, I would have saved and gotten the Genright aluminum highlines for another couple hundred bucks.

Reactions: JMT and rasband
Somethin’ like this...I didn’t have it in me to post a TJ with that stance!

View attachment 127456
Now you got me rethinking my 3” coil swap I ordered to replace 2” + 0.75 spacer....argh
But this rake though....bleh

C0733291-FEA1-4AB7-8EF5-622D020BDFEE.jpeg

Reactions: JMT
I think 33’s with around 4” of total lift and a tummy tuck is an amazing and very capable rig when you lock both axles. 😜

I’m pretty happy with mine and this setup. There’s some fine tuning to do, but it works for most of what I want until I jump to 4” springs.

I think @tworley and @jjvw suggested a build around Chinaman will get you around most of the Colorado trails - and mine handled that pretty nicely (though I couldn’t do a couple of the larger obstacles :'()

X2. Capable than most, but still a driver challenge on the harder trails. Every now and then I have this crazy regret going to 35s and wish I would have stuck with 33s.

I’m pretty happy with mine and this setup. There’s some fine tuning to do, but it works for most of what I want until I jump to 4” springs.

I think @tworley and @jjvw suggested a build around Chinaman will get you around most of the Colorado trails - and mine handled that pretty nicely (though I couldn’t do a couple of the larger obstacles :'()

Since first running Chinaman's in 2015, it has changed quite a bit. A lot harder than it used to be due to the buggy's running it and erosion. I think the minimum requirements need to be upped a bit, having lockers is certainly helpful.

Reactions: rasband
Now you got me rethinking my 3” coil swap I ordered to replace 2” + 0.75 spacer....argh

View attachment 127486
I wouldn't be too concerned. Jeep in my PFP has the 3"/2" setup and it's damn near perfectly level, even with passengers or gear in the back. I have a relatively heavy front bumper and it looks like yours may be stock, I can't tell. That may make a small difference but I wouldn't be too concerned.

Reactions: jazngab
OME 933/942/RS5000X combo here, with 1" spacers up front, 0.75" spacers in the rear, .050" BL, 1" MML. Not the most ideal setup for 33's, but it does fairly well for me. The 942 rear springs do a pretty good job of keeping the ass squat to a minimum. I put 240lbs. of concrete in the back the other day and barely could tell. I keep it pretty light most of the time, as it's my daily. The 3" JKS springs are intriguing though.

Reactions: rasband and jazngab
I'd urge you to rethink the defender XCs up front. They're 3/16" steel and they are heavy. Stock is somewhere around 18lbs a piece, and PS are 32. You are going to add 30+lbs up front. If I could do it over again, I would have saved and gotten the Genright aluminum highlines for another couple hundred bucks.
even the aluminum XCs? wow that is heavy, Thanks, I will reconsider

OME 933/942/RS5000X combo here, with 1" spacers up front, 0.75" spacers in the rear, .050" BL, 1" MML. Not the most ideal setup for 33's, but it does fairly well for me. The 942 rear springs do a pretty good job of keeping the ass squat to a minimum. I put 240lbs. of concrete in the back the other day and barely could tell. I keep it pretty light most of the time, as it's my daily. The 3" JKS springs are intriguing though.
did you buy the ranchos for 0-2 inches of lift or ones for 2-3

did you buy the ranchos for 0-2 inches of lift or ones for 2-3

RS55239/RS55241 for 2-3" lift. This will be a bit of a slippery slope for you. I went with this shock selection because I had to add 2" of additional bump stop to keep my 33's from rubbing the inner fenders. You will need to cycle your suspension and determine how much bump you will need to add to 1, keep your tires out of the fender wells, and 2, keep your shocks from bottoming out at full compression. You may find that the 0-2" lift shock option may be better suited to your setup.

Reactions: D M

View attachment 127486
It will be interesting to see what happens with the 3" springs. What brand did you go with? JKS? Savvy? Procomp? Are you planning to replace the fronts first and then take a look at the rake? I think that would be interesting. Also, what's your true lift now up front? Rear?

Are you running a back seat? It's hard to tell with the soft top window.

Love the Jeep color and wheel combo. I can see what you mean with the rake though.

Reactions: rasband and jazngab
Every now and then I have this crazy regret going to 35s and wish I would have stuck with 33s.
I agree 33's have that driver challenge factor. But I still wouldn't mind a trail dedicated rig with 35's! It would be fun to tackle a few harder obstacles that still challenge driving skill. As a DD though, I think I am happy at 33's. For an LJ things would be different.

It will be interesting to see what happens with the 3" springs. What brand did you go with? JKS? Savvy? Procomp? Are you planning to replace the fronts first and then take a look at the rake? I think that would be interesting. Also, what's your true lift now up front? Rear?

Are you running a back seat? It's hard to tell with the soft top window.

Love the Jeep color and wheel combo. I can see what you mean with the rake though.
Thanks! Currently 2” BDS springs. 0.75” spacer in the front. Winch with stock bumper. To be fair, I believe that pic was taken when I got back from tire mount and I didn’t have the back seat in. I also don’t plan to run my hardtop anymore as I’m currently trying to sell it. The 3” front BDS springs should be here Thursday. Apparently some of those who run BDS springs do the 3”/2” combo and it levels it out nicely. I just finished installing my Savvy BL just now so I’m curious to see what it looks like prior to the front springs swap.

Reactions: JMT and 2006TJ1
Thanks! Currently 2” BDS springs. 0.75” spacer in the front. Winch with stock bumper. To be fair, I believe that pic was taken when I got back from tire mount and I didn’t have the back seat in. I also don’t plan to run my hardtop anymore as I’m currently trying to sell it. The 3” front BDS springs should be here Thursday. Apparently some of those who run BDS springs do the 3”/2” combo and it levels it out nicely. I just finished installing my Savvy BL just now so I’m curious to see what it looks like prior to the front springs swap.
In reference to my comment earlier about running the 3"/2" combo in my own Jeep, they are in fact BDS coils.

Steel stubby front bumper, no winch, full sized spare, rear seat, soft top.
IMG_20190622_200854.jpg

That was right after I put the springs in, they settled a little but the settling was about even front and rear, so no change in rake.

In reference to my comment earlier about running the 3"/2" combo in my own Jeep, they are in fact BDS coils.

Steel stubby front bumper, no winch, full sized spare, rear seat, soft top. View attachment 127534
That was right after I put the springs in, they settled a little but the settling was about even front and rear, so no change in rake.
Did you go 3”/2” right off the bat? No spacers?

Reactions: 2006TJ1
Did you go 3”/2” right off the bat? No spacers?
No spacers. I was on a 2" budget boost from the PO previously. I already had put in longer RS5000X because I couldn't handle the shitty Skyjackers from the PO, but I wasn't sure what I wanted to do for springs yet. After doing some research and talking to some people here, I decided to just go for it.

My philosophy that if I ever want to up the lift an inch or so, I can probably just get away with spacers front and rear, for a while at least. With shorter springs up front I would be stacking spacers or the like which I want to avoid.

Here is a picture of the Jeep on the 2" budget boost on top of super saggy stock springs. In both pictures a Savvy 1.25" body lift is also already installed.

IMG_20190620_143502.jpg