JKs: Things you dislike about them

If they are built correctly I love the JK.
Here's a picture of my father in laws Jeep, he started off with a 1980 CJ5 at I think 16. He still has it
91faff0d60190834abe6efcb0e91d979.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Reactions: MikeM
I mainly just don't like the larger size and 4 doors on the unlimited...
In my opinion I just think Wranglers should only have 2 doors. Its like having a 4 door Porsche....:facepalm: just wrong !!

Reactions: JMT
This is completely unrelated to the subject but I don't think it needs a specific thread. Is the entire grille from a 06 TJ the same as a 97 TJ? Like the bolt holes are all the same and whatnot throughout all years of TJ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't read all 9 pages to get here, so please forgive me if I am duplicating, but I bought a brand new JK in 2010. It was a v6 duh with a 6 speed manual trans and factory 3.73 gears. I used it to tow my street bikes to the track on a super light weight Kendon trailer, but the problem I had was at 45 miles an hour if I hit the clutch the RPM's didn't go down immediately, so if I was shifting from 3d to 4rth at that speed the trans would grind. The problem was if I waited the 3 seconds it took for the RPM's to go down, It would be way to slow for 4rth gear. This wasn't normally a problem unless I was towing really, but I was doing that every weekend.

I took it to the dealer multiple times to see if they could change the fuel map or do something for me, but they all agreed that it was a problem, but wouldn't do anything for me. I asked the aftermarket chip companies if they could build a fuel map for me, and they said that I wasn't enough audience for them to R&D it. So I decided that it was way underpowered and sold it.

Honestly I liked the JK other than that. I really believe it is underpowered, and mine was a 2 door, I am not sure what they are doing with the 4 doors, but now I drive a 98 Tj with a 4.0 5sp and 3.73, and it has way more power. and the fuel map is much better.

So to break it all down I like that there are more possibilities with the TJ, and it seems like it is a lot lighter and definitely has a better fuel map; that said maybe the JK does better for the emissions (I don't know) but it is a deal breaker for me.

Underpowered and bad fuel map with less options to change.

Now that said this was 2010, Maybe now in 2017 things have changed, but I don't really care because I am perfectly happy with my 98 TJ.

That is my .02

Reactions: MikeM and JMT
Found something that I dont necessarily dislike but I dont think shows the whole jeep spirit. Just today (and i have had this sort of issue before) i passed two jks in my tj and i waved but neither of them did. I have never had an issue with other tjs or yjs waving. I guess people are buying jks more as cool utility vehicles and suvs more than for being jeeps.

It's not JK's, it's the people.
View attachment 20471

This is so true. Only two bros would attempt the Titanic in the back of a JKU.

The JK is a fine machine. It's the people who drive them that irk me.

And I don't mean all JK owners are like this, it just seems to me that the majority are.

My sister-in-law is selling her '16 JKU and is looking at a '98 SE.
Hers was the only JKU I've driven, and when her son told us that it was a "real Jeep" I laughed, said it was a Fiat, and pointed at my XJ. "That's the only real Jeep I see."

I didn't read all 9 pages to get here, so please forgive me if I am duplicating, but I bought a brand new JK in 2010. It was a v6 duh with a 6 speed manual trans and factory 3.73 gears. I used it to tow my street bikes to the track on a super light weight Kendon trailer, but the problem I had was at 45 miles an hour if I hit the clutch the RPM's didn't go down immediately, so if I was shifting from 3d to 4rth at that speed the trans would grind. The problem was if I waited the 3 seconds it took for the RPM's to go down, It would be way to slow for 4rth gear. This wasn't normally a problem unless I was towing really, but I was doing that every weekend.

I took it to the dealer multiple times to see if they could change the fuel map or do something for me, but they all agreed that it was a problem, but wouldn't do anything for me. I asked the aftermarket chip companies if they could build a fuel map for me, and they said that I wasn't enough audience for them to R&D it. So I decided that it was way underpowered and sold it.

Honestly I liked the JK other than that. I really believe it is underpowered, and mine was a 2 door, I am not sure what they are doing with the 4 doors, but now I drive a 98 Tj with a 4.0 5sp and 3.73, and it has way more power. and the fuel map is much better.

So to break it all down I like that there are more possibilities with the TJ, and it seems like it is a lot lighter and definitely has a better fuel map; that said maybe the JK does better for the emissions (I don't know) but it is a deal breaker for me.

Underpowered and bad fuel map with less options to change.

Now that said this was 2010, Maybe now in 2017 things have changed, but I don't really care because I am perfectly happy with my 98 TJ.

That is my .02

The whole 'drive by wire', or electronic sensing computer interface from the accelerator pedal to the engine only added to the under powered feel. It was way more apparent on the 3.8L than on the newer 3.6L, but still there. It took a long time to get used to that. Makes the TJ accelerator seem way more responsive.

The fkn price. I shopped around for a JK 2 Door after I sold my 2005 TJ and I couldnt believe the prices. Stock Sports with almost no extras were going for 24k but a 4 year old one with 50k miles for 22k!? Gimme a break. I ended up with another TJ. May try again later when the 2018s force the price of the 2012s to go down.

Reactions: Chris
The fkn price. I shopped around for a JK 2 Door after I sold my 2005 TJ and I couldnt believe the prices. Stock Sports with almost no extras were going for 24k but a 4 year old one with 50k miles for 22k!? Gimme a break. I ended up with another TJ. May try again later when the 2018s force the price of the 2012s to go down.

Not trying to bash, but just to calrify, you think it is a bad thing that the JK's hold thier value?

Were you comparing apples to apples when comparing the new stripped basic for $24k with the JK for $22k? Did they have the same options and engine? If so, I think that would be considered a good thing.

Last edited:
Not trying to bash, but just to calrify, you think it is a bad think that the JK's holds thier value?

Where you comparing apples to apples when comparing the new stripped basic for $24k with thr same optioned JK for $22k? If so, I think that would be considered a good thing.
I love it when I hear about how expensive used Jeeps are. Everyone who owns one should as well. Its a good thing when your hobby/daily driver does not depreciate much, wouldn't be even better if they appreciated in value?

Last edited:
Reactions: Fouledplugs
Reactions: Chris