Mikes LJR

I was on that thread but those actually fastened to the body mounts. OPs are frame mounted which could be a different brand.
What do they attach to on the frame or how for the matter? Utilize the OEM step mounts?

Oh you’re right, I didn’t look too deep into them. The frame is definitely better. Though I’d still prefer the body nutserts given the choice, of course that depends on what you’re doing with the Jeep on what terrain!

I was on that thread but those actually fastened to the body mounts. OPs are frame mounted which could be a different brand.
What do they attach to on the frame or how for the matter? Utilize the OEM step mounts?
Unfortunately the are fastened directly to the side of the frame. I guess that is better than body mounts but I wanted to remove the factory rocker guards for general cleaning and maintenance and they won't come off without removing the tubular steps. The PO said they are self tapping bolts into the frame so I dont want to weaken that connection by removing the bolts temporarily.

Got my audio upgrade finished this weekend. I already had a Sony double DIN touchscreen radio with Apple Car Play that I moved from the TJ. I installed all new kicker speakers in stock locations including subwoofer.

Of course Crutchfield said only 5 1/4 inch speakers would fit in the sound bar. I fit 6 3/4 Kickers in. They rest on the lip of the pod rather than on the recessed mounting flange. They make 6 1/2 in the same line of speakers that may have actually fit into the recess area but the grill would not have.

A pic of the 5 1/4 inch speakers that were actually installed in the dash sitting in the stock location. I did not go this route, just showing that 5 1/4 will fit without mods.
IMG_5442.jpeg

The 6 3/4 in the speaker pod.
IMG_5446.jpeg

Front speakers, one is mounted on the adapter supplied by crutchfield. I added baffles after I took this picture.
IMG_5447.jpeg

Front 5 1/4 installed in dash with baffle.
IMG_5477.jpeg

My 6 3/4 Kickers for sound bar next to the factory 5 1/4
IMG_5450.jpeg

Kicker 5 1/4 next to factory front pod.
IMG_5451.jpeg

Here are the factory subwoofer, the Quadratec replacement, and the Kicker sub. The Quadratec is a direct fit but I went with the Kicker and had to trim some plastic inside the factory sub enclosure
IMG_5452.jpeg

IMG_5455.jpeg

IMG_5448.jpeg

IMG_5442.jpeg

IMG_5447.jpeg

Not sure how I feel about those wheels, but the rig looks great! Probably sweating your ass off in Florida about now ;)

Reactions: Viking Jeeper
Also got my JKS rear sway bar links and Savvy lower control arms in before the trip to the beach yesterday. Still need to install the uppers.

On many vehicles the opener is always hot. I did not want that for my Jeep for when I park outside so I used a fuse tap and added it to the radio circuit behind the glove box. The key needs to be in the ACC or RUN position for the opener to work.

Reactions: rasband
I was going to ask about your rock sliders too, but read that they came with the Jeep.

I think they are these. https://white-knuckleoffroad.com/product/jeep-wrangler-lj-2004-2006-rock-sliders/

There are not many options out there for LJs unless you want to drill into the body. These run from ~$450 bare metal and $610 powder coated depending on the tube you choose.

If you're worried about the drill and tap, take them off an run the long drill bit through the holes to the other side of the frame, then put a grade 8 bolt through the frame and fasten it to both sides with large and lock washers If you have plate laying around you could even put a reinforcing plate on it if you plan on hard bashing. Though the more you reinforce the frame, the more force gets transferred to it and the more likely it is to bend under extreme load. I learned in pipe support design that sometimes more rigid structures aren't necessary better than more flexible structures. Loads go to the most rigid point unless something breaks before the load gets there.

I was going to ask about your rock sliders too, but read that they came with the Jeep.

I think they are these. https://white-knuckleoffroad.com/product/jeep-wrangler-lj-2004-2006-rock-sliders/

There are not many options out there for LJs unless you want to drill into the body. These run from ~$450 bare metal and $610 powder coated depending on the tube you choose.

If you're worried about the drill and tap, take them off an run the long drill bit through the holes to the other side of the frame, then put a grade 8 bolt through the frame and fasten it to both sides with large and lock washers If you have plate laying around you could even put a reinforcing plate on it if you plan on hard bashing. Though the more you reinforce the frame, the more force gets transferred to it and the more likely it is to bend under extreme load. I learned in pipe support design that sometimes more rigid structures aren't necessary better than more flexible structures. Loads go to the most rigid point unless something breaks before the load gets there.

Those certainly look like it. One difference I think I see in the pictures is that mine have three round supports along the length of the round tube to square tube plus the ends. The ones pictured have four.

My only thought on the self tapping bolts was that if I take them off and put them back on a few times it could loosen the tapped hole. I'll leave them on as long as I can, I do like them.

IMG_5653.jpeg

Reactions: InOmaha
Those certainly look like it. One difference I think I see in the pictures is that mine have three round supports along the length of the round tube to square tube plus the ends. The ones pictured have four.

My only thought on the self tapping bolts was that if I take them off and put them back on a few times it could loosen the tapped hole. I'll leave them on as long as I can, I do like them.

View attachment 179100

And it's not this one because it has 2 connections and I think it bolts to the 3 body mounts on each side using their bolts. That's why I kept looking. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000NOZMCE/?tag=wranglerorg-20

They weigh 20lbs a piece less than the ones I linked to before so they are much lighter material.

I may ask around at a custom weld shop. I have a set I of heavy rock rails found for really cheap. I cleaned and painted them, but they are for a regular TJ. I might see if a shop could modify them to add the extra length or build new using them as a template. I should be able to flip what I found.

By the way, nice LJR. I'll stop derailing. 😀

Moved over from the other thread..... Yeah, here's my rock sliders that attach to frame.....I really would like to know who made them...

Like you, I wanted to removed the diamond plate body rocker guards, but can't get them off without taking the sliders off. I too don't want to loosen up the mounting as they are "ROCK" solid. Not sure if there are nutserts in frame or just self tappers.

IMG_0296.JPG

Reactions: Viking Jeeper