New guy with a TJ6

I haven't pulled it out of the garage yet. I just picked up a battery this morning (the other one was dead from sitting so long) and will be putting on the hood and intake tomorrow then will drive it. Something always comes up that pulls me from getting it finished.

I haven't pulled it out of the garage yet. I just picked up a battery this morning (the other one was dead from sitting so long) and will be putting on the hood and intake tomorrow then will drive it. Something always comes up that pulls me from getting it finished.

I hear ya. My stroker is still in boxes. I'm hoping your results will get me motivated.

Quick update. I hooked up the stock exhaust manifolds which isn't the way to go. I have exhaust leaks so I ordered the Banks header and will get it in about a week. FiDI will be sitting until hopefully next weekend when I can out it in. I also talked to Russ and he recommends the Banks as well.

Reactions: Brianj5600
Quick update. I hooked up the stock exhaust manifolds which isn't the way to go. I have exhaust leaks so I ordered the Banks header and will get it in about a week. FiDI will be sitting until hopefully next weekend when I can out it in. I also talked to Russ and he recommends the Banks as well.
Stoked to her how the Stroker does!

Reactions: Ephry73
Put the Banks torque tube on yesterday. What a pain to get the lower bolts tightened. I'm glad it's over with. No more exhaust leak. I have a fuel leak somewhere that I need to find but I think I'm nearly done.

20210703_112803.jpg

Fuel leak caused by a damaged o-ring on the #4 injector. Replaced it and the leak is gone.

I'm getting a loud squeak from a bearing on and idler pulls but I can't tell if it's from the belt tensioner or the other one. Could be the new water pump (hope it isn't). I had replaced all of them already so one of them isn't happy.

I also found a leak from the power steering pump so I ordered a new one as well. I use a WJ pump.

I'm also replacing my bumper with a more minimalized one. One of the nuts in the frame broke loose while I was removing the old one (had to be removed for the engine hoist) so I had to cut off the bolt. I will weld in a new nut when I get ready to I stall the new bumper.

I've also had a leaky driver side axle since I broke the stub shaft over a year ago. I've replaced the inner seal since then but still have the leak. I'm suspecting a bent inner shaft. I didn't notice it before but it looks like I need to pull it out to check. It's a PITA since I'm running a Dana 60 and the hub lock and hub needs to be removed.

Fuel leak caused by a damaged o-ring on the #4 injector. Replaced it and the leak is gone.

I'm getting a loud squeak from a bearing on and idler pulls but I can't tell if it's from the belt tensioner or the other one. Could be the new water pump (hope it isn't). I had replaced all of them already so one of them isn't happy.

I also found a leak from the power steering pump so I ordered a new one as well. I use a WJ pump.

I'm also replacing my bumper with a more minimalized one. One of the nuts in the frame broke loose while I was removing the old one (had to be removed for the engine hoist) so I had to cut off the bolt. I will weld in a new nut when I get ready to I stall the new bumper.

I've also had a leaky driver side axle since I broke the stub shaft over a year ago. I've replaced the inner seal since then but still have the leak. I'm suspecting a bent inner shaft. I didn't notice it before but it looks like I need to pull it out to check. It's a PITA since I'm running a Dana 60 and the hub lock and hub needs to be removed.
Shitty deal, even minor annoyances add up to a headache!

Turns out one of the new idler pulleys was the culprit. Of course it had to be the one on the tensioner which required me to remove the alternator and mount. I should get the power steering pump on Thursday. I also ordered a chromoly inner shaft for the front axle in case it's bent and will install it within a week. If the shaft doesn't fix the weep then I'll need to pull both shafts and the carrier to replace the seal, again.

I still haven't taken the Jeep on the freeway to test the stroker yet. Probably take it out this weekend. I might do a Cleghorn run in a couple of weeks to shake everything out.

I was able to get out to a few drives around town and I can definitely feel the difference. It's not a rocket but I think the build will give me what I wanted. It's running really well.

Reactions: reddvltj
Think I found the cause of my vibration. After the Johnson Valley trip last year I developed a vibration. I thought I had bent something. I didn't see anything that would cause it so I was going to pull the driveshaft to get it balanced. Turns out the bolts between the driveshaft and transfer case yoke were a little loose. Put some thread locker on them and tightened them down and now I need to take it out for a test drive.

Sounds like I'm not being diligent enough after these trips. I need to go through all of the major nuts and bolts after a day in the rocks. Probably need to get some marking paint to make it easier to check for movement.

Reactions: reddvltj
Although I haven't been up to the Big Bear yet I have to say that I'm impressed with the way the stroker made the Jeep feel. After fixing the vibration it drives like a beast. Obviously not a V8 but the power difference is significant. I used to struggle a bit to get up to speed (65-70) and then maintain it. I just did a quick test and I had it to 80 and it was still pulling. Looks like this 4.7 is going to work out great.

Sort of ugly really. I'm about $7K in it with the donor, machine work. parts, and incidentals. It doesn't include labor since I built the stroker myself and installed it.

You have a very nice stroker. Do you know what the compression ratio is? What did Russ say about octane requirement?

I'm running 91 at this point. I don't drive it enough to be concerned with the cost so my compression is high enough to require it. The TJ is basically a toy for me and if I follow along with my other toys (dirt bikes) I always run 91 octane. At least that's my justification.

Awesome build. How did you find donor sheet metal to use for the top rail section of the tub? (The 15” additional section the top seats onto.) I’m gonna assume a wrecked Jeep, but seems kind of hard to find one to cut up. It’s awesome what you’ve done with it all.

As you can guess, the top rail is very difficult to replicate and I wasn't going to try. I reached out to SGTJeep (a Jeep dismantler in Rosamond, CA) to see if they could help. He was able to send me a couple of sections out of 2 different tubs.

I also got my donor motor for the stroker build through him.

Had to get the TJ smogged for the first after building and installing the stroker. I have a couple of CARB stickers under the hood (one for the TB and one for the header) which is probably good since I get forced to a STAR testing location. Visual and smog testing passed without issue.