California NorCal Jeep adventures!

For you NorCal guys who want to do something to repair/restore our trails after this year's wildfires, you may be interested in this event on October 19-21:

Chappie-Shasta OHV Recovery Work Weekend - October 19, 20, 21
Just 10 miles northwest of Redding, the Chappie-Shasta Off-Highway Vehicle area offers over 200 miles of roads and trails on approximately 52,000 acres for off-road enthusiasts. Elevation within this area ranges from 600 to 5000 feet with a wide variety of topography, soil, and vegetation types. The southeastern portions offer rocky and challenging terrain, while the more remote northwestern portions offer scenic views of Mt. Shasta, Lake Shasta, and the Trinity Alps.

43016105_10215107725400874_2845158633778446336_n.jpg

Details

Inaugural PWORA work weekend, Redding, CA area, near Shasta Dam, recovering infrastructure of Chappie-Shasta OHV Area. Teams will be needed for: Barrier Construction; Signage; Cooking/Serving; Erosion Control; General Trail Repairs; and more. Main work day Saturday, all day. Chow that night (if we can get it set up). Sunday optional for those that can stay. Friday night check in at the OHV staging area. Will need "paperwork" help as well with sign in and documentation. Lots of options. Sign up if you think you can make it. Camping for tents, trailers and even RV's right at the staging areas. Post up what you might be interested in helping with. We will be working in conjunction (and for) the Bureau of Land Management (BLM).

Schedule

Friday, October 19, 2018

3:00 PM
Camping Open, Staging Areas

5:00 PM - 8:00 PM
Check In

Saturday, October 20, 2018

7:30 AM - 8:30 AM
Check In, More Arrivals

8:30 AM - 9:00 AM
Briefing, Job Assignments

https://www.facebook.com/events/2137665943165143/

l plan to attend, as do members of local offroading clubs such as the Black Sheep 4WD Club, Rat Pack 4WD Club, NorCal Jeeps and the Redding Dirt Riders.

Hope to see you there.

Reactions: bobthetj03
The Hemsted address is the BLM office. The true meeting place is the staging area at the OHV park, which I confirmed with the organizer, Del Albright. My post lists the check-in times.
So you'll be at the staging area on Friday afternoon? They will be there then? How did you get ahold of Del?

Even if you don't get a response - just show up. Your participation and help will be much appreciated.
I did get a response back this morning and Kent R. said that he will give me more information after he gets back from a Rally. But he did tell me that I can't bring my chain saws to help with if I'm not "Certified by the US Forest Service" to use them. My Dad was a logger, I grew up in the woods and have used chain saws most of my life....clearing roads, cutting and selling firewood. I guess you can thank all the lawyers for that. I don't think I have been "Certified by the US Forest" to use a shovel either.

Who is "Kent R." and is he authorized to speak for Del Albright?

The USFS requires a chainsaw certification for organized/sponsored trail cleanup and maintenance projects on USFS land. The project at Chappie-Shasta OHV park isn't USFS and the BLM may have different requirements. Since you don't use Faceplant would you like me to forward a specific question to Del Albright? If so, what are all the questions you would like answered so that I can ask all of them at once?

FYI - if you read the recent editions of In Gear, the Cal4Wheel bi-monthly magazine, there are a number of articles regarding chainsaw certification and organized trail projects conducted in conjunction with the USFS, etc. Peety Woll, the Cal4Wheel North District Vice-President, is deeply involved in the chainsaw certification issue.

https://cal4wheel.com/

Download this month's edition here: https://cal4wheel.com/phocadownload/in-gears/in-gear-oct-nov-18-web.pdf

To @lowranger :

I had the opportunity to ask Del Albright about bringing chainsaws to the Chappie-Shasta OHV Park Recovery Work Weekend Oct. 19-21. This was his response:

The feds are all over certs and quals these days. Just bring their strong back and willingness to work.

Hope to see you there, even without a chainsaw. :)

Whoop ! Got the Jeep all “cleaned” up. Removed the rear tube bumper and full receiver hitch. Lost like 40 lbs.
See y’all in the am !

View attachment 58751
That should save you atleast .01 mpg depending on the amount of ice and drinks you bring :p

See you there. Im shooting for 10-10:15

I’ll be there bright and early. Maybe try and rope you guys into help with some stuff after if anyone is game hah :D I won’t bring too many parts I swear!

I was trying to attach the bolt for my front bump stops today and there is next to no space between the coils. It was a PITA, I got my screws to grab a bit (using socket hex cap and a hand held hex key) but can’t get anything in there hah. I have other options too with bolts and whatnot.

Last edited:
I’ll be there bright and early. Maybe try and rope you guys into help with some stuff after if anyone is game hah :D I won’t bring too many parts I swear!

I was trying to attach the bolt for my front bump stops today and there is next to no space between the coils. It was a PITA, I got my screws to grab a bit (using socket hex cap and a hand held hex key) but can’t get anything in there hah. I have other options too with bolts and whatnot.
Dude, did you drill and tap a hole? There is only a dimple from the factory. Or am I not following?