California NorCal Jeep adventures!

I forgot to mention my experience at the bottom of 12. @Thunderhead and @tomtaylz heard it at lunch but when I was set up to go up 12 the guy that spotted me came up to me and went through his checklist.
1. Spotter: Is your jeep in 4low?..Me: Yes
2. Spotter: Does your jeep have lockers and if so are they locked?... Me: Yes and yes.
3. Spotter: Are you disconnected?... Me: No. I have an Antirock. Spotter: But did you disconnect the Antirock? Me: You don't disconnect an antirock that is why you buy one. Spotter: Yes but you still need to twist that switch to get it to unlock. Me: No you don't. I'm not changing my answer and at this point just have to ask are you fucking with me? Spotter: blankly stares at the women next to him who then proceeds to tell me "he is a cal4wheel drive member and to ignore him"
:risas3: What does this mean about me since I signed up also lol

Oh and once again thank you @bobthetj03 for the use of your hammer. Defiantly going to add that to my trail bag.

I forgot to mention my experience at the bottom of 12. @Thunderhead and @tomtaylz heard it at lunch but when I was set up to go up 12 the guy that spotted me came up to me and went through his checklist.
2. Spotter: Does your jeep have lockers and if so are they locked?... Me: Yes and yes.
3. Spotter: Are you disconnect?... Me: No. I have an Antirock. Spotter: But did you disconnect the Antirock? Me: You don't disconnect an antirock that is why you buy one. Spotter: Yes but you still need to twist that switch to get it to unlock. Me: No you don't. I'm not changing my answer and at this point just have to ask are you fucking with me? Spotter: blankly stares at the women next to him who then proceeds to tell me "he is an cal4wheel drive member and to ignore him"
:risas3:

Oh and once again thank you @bobthetj03 for the use of your hammer. Defiantly going to add that to my trail bag.
Exactly my fear. And that guy is going to spot for you? LOL. “Get out of the way for your own sake, idiot!”

Exactly my fear. And that guy is going to spot for you? LOL. “Get out of the way for your own sake, idiot!”

Credit where credit is due they were fairly helpful and they were all volunteering their time so props there.

They also had 10 minutes left and had some Cherokee with open diffs spend half an hour trying to get up, having to be reversed down, so I think they were a bit apprehensive about letting people try it hah

Last edited:
Reactions: JMT and Alex01
3. Spotter: Are you disconnected?... Me: No. I have an Antirock. Spotter: But did you disconnect the Antirock? Me: You don't disconnect an antirock that is why you buy one. Spotter: Yes but you still need to twist that switch to get it to unlock. Me: No you don't. I'm not changing my answer and at this point just have to ask are you fucking with me? Spotter: blankly stares at the women next to him who then proceeds to tell me "he is a cal4wheel drive member and to ignore him"
:risas3: What does this mean about me since I signed up also lol

I hear you on the Cal4wheel thing. Cal4wheel has and is doing great things for us here in California to keep our trails open and to work with US Forest Service and BLM to mention a few. Back in the 70s I belonged to Cal4wheel when I had my CJ-5.
About 4 or 5 years ago my wife and I decided to go on the Cal4wheel "Winter Fun Fest" in Grass Valley. What a joke. We signed up for a trail on Saturday and one Sunday. They said there were going to be alot of venders and raffle prizes.
There was one vender there. When they were selling raffle tickets, they had all the raffle prizes blocked by tables so you couldn't see what there was to try to win. Why buy a bunch of raffle tickets if you don't know what the prizes are and they wouldn't let us go back and look?
Most of the prizes I found out while sitting through the raffle was a free car wash in GV. A free crab feed for one in GV a lot of gift baskets. The best prize was actually 4 wheel drive related... A set of 4 tires.
Then Saturday morning for the Jeep safety inspection by Cal4wheel...was pretty much a comment like..."you can drive it can't you" and never looked at any of the Jeeps. Then they told our group that was signed up for this particular trail to drive from Grass Valley out 20 miles to some location to meet the trail leader. We did....no one was there. Drove all around then back again and just waiting wondering if we were in the right place. Trail leader was late and finally showed up. I don't even want to talk about the Sunday run. This is too long already. In a nut shell, it was a total cluster f-—.
Was pretty disappointed in Cal4wheel. Even E-mailed them with a couple of suggestions.... and never head back from them. Apparently they don't care.

Reactions: Alex01
I signed up as a member purely to support them with keeping land open and maintaining what we do have. I have never ran an event with them so I can't say anything good or bad. I have been tempted by a few but then I think that when I get there I will see 200 jeeps and just be in a slow line the whole day. I'm sure I will make it out to an event one day and hopefully they are more on top of it by then.

I signed up as a member purely to support them with keeping land open and maintaining what we do have. I have never ran an event with them so I can't say anything good or bad. I have been tempted by a few but then I think that when I get there I will see 200 jeeps and just be in a slow line the whole day. I'm sure I will make it out to an event one day and hopefully they are more on top of it by then.
As a Texan, I have to say at this juncture, that one thing that I do not like bigger, is a bigger group of Jeeps on the trail. When we went last Saturday there were two events going on at the OHV, so there were literally hundreds of Jeeps (CJ's, YJ's, TJ's, LJ's, JK's, JKU's, JL's, JLU's and a few Nissan's or Yota's). Most of the day we saw none of them because we did a long trail that is off the beaten path. But when we did get into the more populated portions of the park, they were just sitting there in a big line. BORING

Someone new is running the event this year, so maybe she will do a better job. Small groups are better, which is why we have this thread. We just need to find a member that lives in the area and knows the trails up there, and is willing to lead a group.

Someone new is running the event this year, so maybe she will do a better job. Small groups are better, which is why we have this thread. We just need to find a member that lives in the area and knows the trails up there, and is willing to lead a group.
I was looking at the Winter Fun Festival until I saw that they are expecting 600 participants this year.

Oh man so glad I got the antirock. A little more body roll, on the 2nd looses setting, but I think my favorite part of it is turning from a flat surface into a dipped driveway or uneven surface. Man so smooth. No more jarring impacts