Oklahoma Oklahoma members

If I can finish it by then, I am in! My buddy was working on dropping my upper link mounts into the truss today. Need to get lower CG. Hard to do it with a tank underneath and a 14B.

Reactions: gasiorv
Hey guys! I'm looking at taking a trip up to OK around April 7th-12th. Hoping to hit a few different parks, starting with Crossbar in Davis and moving East to Clayton - I just heard about Green Acres not too long ago, and then found RMR while researching.

I'm in a Rubicon on 33's, tucked, locked, and skidded. From what I can tell, I'll be able to do a lot at Crossbar and a decent amount at Green Acres. I'm shying away from RMR though, being 7+ hrs away from home. Looks like it's geared for the buggy crowd and I'd be asking for something to break.

However, I do enjoy the technical stuff and more difficult trails. Thoughts? @gasiorv

Hey guys! I'm looking at taking a trip up to OK around April 7th-12th. Hoping to hit a few different parks, starting with Crossbar in Davis and moving East to Clayton - I just heard about Green Acres not too long ago, and then found RMR while researching.

I'm in a Rubicon on 33's, tucked, locked, and skidded. From what I can tell, I'll be able to do a lot at Crossbar and a decent amount at Green Acres. I'm shying away from RMR though, being 7+ hrs away from home. Looks like it's geared for the buggy crowd and I'd be asking for something to break.

However, I do enjoy the technical stuff and more difficult trails. Thoughts? @gasiorv

I have buddies that go to RMR and Green Acres. They are all 42’s and bigger tires. I hear it’s hardcore.

If you care about your jeeps appearance and are driving to the trails (not trailering) I would not recommend 33's at Green Acres. It is one of my favorite places, but on 35s it is very difficult (which is what makes it fun). On 33s you will pretty much be just doing access roads which can still be enjoyable , but not really worth the drive there. Green acre access roads are like 2's and 3's at other parks, but there just isn't enough there to make it worth the drive.

@Mrholland
could probably recommend more parks and areas to wheel in OK.

Reactions: Tob
^^^Agree with the above, green acres is a buggy place. I love wheeling there Lol.

I've only been to RMR once and took a beating, can't wait to go back. 24hrs to hell and back did a video there, linked earlier in this thread. I spent all day on prob 2 trails there

Been a while since crossbar, IIRC, mostly sxs, but the last time I was there they were opening up/widening lots of trails. Idk how it looks today, but it had a few rocky trails, creeks and a rock face, the rest was steep loose rock/gravel climbs. Could very well be different now.

Disney, on grand lake. Its pretty much a free for all with a lil bit of everything, Wooded trails, rock garden, few waterfalls and open areas. Rocks are sharp and will cut up tires if you're aggressive, but there is lots of traction.

Camp Gruber muskogee. Half - full day park. Within the last couple of years that park has been improved. Trails, steps/ledges, dirt/rocky climbs, creeks and an awesome technical section, prob 1/3 of a mile and takes me 1.5/2hrs to complete.

Robbers caves, smaller park, camping areas. I was there with my stock LJ once or twice, quickly out grew it.

Twin mountain off road park south of Quinton. I have a day trip planned in a couple of weeks. Never been, but looks pretty good!

Prob can Google/YouTube these places and get an idea.

If I'm riding 33s, locked front and rear on a 4in spring, I'm prob thinking

Crossbar
Disney
Gruber
Maybe Robbers Cave, but its small and fairly easy. Beautiful area though, and if you're camping....

I don't from which direction you're travelling, but Cass Arkansas, 3B in Eureka Springs and Hot Springs could also be options.

Any questions, don't hesitate!

Reactions: Posthvman and Tob
I'm down to jump in for 8th and or 9th for any venue within 3 hours or so. can't swing the Friday as we have a high vis guest coming in at work.

Vid on twin mountain.

I'll try to find this trail when we go

Reactions: Tob
I appreciate the advice, guys. Sounds like I’ll be sticking to Crossbar for the most part. We won’t be venturing any further north than Davis since that is already over 7 hrs. Maybe we will scoot over east to hot springs for a day before we come back home - I’ve got some unfinished business there 🙂. Last trip to HS my day was cut short by a broken stub shaft, but I want to go back and finish out the list of 5s I was working down. We’re gonna pass on spring break and hold out for better weather in May after school’s out.

Reactions: freedom_in_4low
Let's try to nail something down. What does April 21, 22, 23 look like for everyone? That gives Andrew time to get his rig together and test it and it is probably the latest that I would want to take a trip of this magnitude before I head to Moab in June (need time to fix if something breaks). GA is no joke and I never been to RMR but I have been warned by some pretty hardcore wheelers. In addition to these places just being very rocky, April is going to be wet so we will be searching for traction.

Clayton is approx 6 hrs for me so I will probably drive over Thursday night after work. We can then wheel GA on Friday and RMR on Saturday (or vice versa).

I don't think GA has any open/close times, you just pull up and pay at the drop box. RMR just changed owners, I sent them an email to see if there is any closures, etc.....

Another option would be SMORR or Hot Springs which would be a little further drive for the OK folks but more variance in trails. I know Hot Springs very well and a Jeep on 35s with lockers can do a lot there, 33s with lockers and a tummy tuck can also be do most trails with a few bypasses. SMORR is the same, 35s and lockers and you can wheel a lot.

We threw out Apr 21-23 as a possible Clayton trip. I have NOT mentioned this to my wife yet AND don't plan on getting myself in trouble by mentioning it to her if this date doesn't work anymore. For me, it is actually the only weekend we don't have something going on over the next few months so it wouldn't bother me to reschedule to later in the year; but if we can get a group together I also wouldn't mind going.

Let me know if a SMORR trip is in the plans. Hoping to get in a shakedown run in late April. Maybe the weekend of the 22nd if I can get parts back from the powder coater in time.

Reactions: gasiorv
OK. I think AMS417 and MRHolland were the only two tentative for clayton that weekend, so I am going to postpone that trip to later in the year.

@AMS417, I have been watching your build, once you get it done and ready to shake down I will be interested in joining you at SMORR for a shakedown. My son is graduating in May and we have a bunch of family coming in etc... so my weekends through May are strapped, but if I can get a way to wheel, I will!

Reactions: AMS417
We have my kids 8th birthday party that weekend so I would have been out.

Don't postpone too long though, the guy that runs Green Acres has been posting some grim stuff on their facebook page in the last few weeks. Sounds like traffic has been way down at the park and he's not making enough money to support the improvements he had planned and is having to scale back. Hope it doesn't result in the closure of the park. I'm sure their reputation as a "buggy place" isn't helping bring in the milder wheelers.

Reactions: AMS417
OK. I think AMS417 and MRHolland were the only two tentative for clayton that weekend, so I am going to postpone that trip to later in the year.

@AMS417, I have been watching your build, once you get it done and ready to shake down I will be interested in joining you at SMORR for a shakedown. My son is graduating in May and we have a bunch of family coming in etc... so my weekends through May are strapped, but if I can get a way to wheel, I will!

I’ll be busting ass to get it on the trail in April. I have a vacation April 29th so the 22nd will be my goal.

One more question for you OK folks! How many days' worth of trails are there at Crossbar if you hit everything up to the more difficult trails? I'm trying to plan out how many days to give myself to hit most of the park.

Been a while, 4-5yrs, but Id say a day. Personally, if it cones down to it, Id rather cut my visit short than have it go long. Leaving and wanting more means I get to come back!

Hopefully someone that's been there more recently chimes in

Reactions: nolander