Picking up where I left off

Status
Not open for further replies.
I figured that’s what you probably did.

Blaine mentioned the rear calipers and brake assemblies were rusted so bad that there is barely any good metal to weld to. Any idea why that is? The rest of the frame didn’t seem to have any rust other than surface rust in very few places.
AZ won’t develop anymore rust so that’s good.

Bump stop cups are installer error. The calipers were very rusty at one point and got the rust painted over. No idea when or who.

The cup part is so the spring retainer goes over the stock dimple in the spring perch. Then the urethane bumper sits on the flat lower part. View attachment 231119
Bump stop cups are installer error. The calipers were very rusty at one point and got the rust painted over. No idea when or who.

The cup part is so the spring retainer goes over the stock dimple in the spring perch. Then the urethane bumper sits on the flat lower part. View attachment 231119
Gotta love attention to detail, well done as expected on your part. Just out of curiosity, have you had a chance to look over the rest of the rig and wondered your thoughts? It always worked well for me but I’m far from a fabricator and have nowhere near the knowledge to pick up on things like this so its nice to see it explained right for an untrained eye.

Gotta love attention to detail, well done as expected on your part. Just out of curiosity, have you had a chance to look over the rest of the rig and wondered your thoughts? It always worked well for me but I’m far from a fabricator and have nowhere near the knowledge to pick up on things like this so its nice to see it explained right for an untrained eye.
We start at the back and move forward so we haven't got past the rear calipers much other than just cursory glance type stuff. The install of the UA so far looks like an owner did it. Not a fan of the locker pump location due to where Chris plays. They will have be moved.

Reactions: ToddK
We start at the back and move forward so we haven't got past the rear calipers much other than just cursory glance type stuff. The install of the UA so far looks like an owner did it. Not a fan of the locker pump location due to where Chris plays. They will have be moved.
Locker pump location sucks and was always my gripe because removal of skids meant removal of pumps which was huge pita IMO. I’m lucky I never ripped them off but it was just a matter of time once you get in the big rocks. Looking forward to everything else you do to it and seeing where this goes once complete.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris
Locker pump location sucks and was always my gripe because removal of skids meant removal of pumps which was huge pita IMO. I’m lucky I never ripped them off but it was just a matter of time once you get in the big rocks. Looking forward to everything else you find and seeing where this goes once complete.
For the folks that aren't in the big rocks, we mount the base plate to the back of the skid. That way if you have to drop the skid, just remove the base plate and let it hang from the hoses and harness.

As many of you know my rig is now at Blaine's and he is doing a bunch of stuff to it.

This is the finished result of him raising the rear frame. This will of course eliminate the body lift pucks in the rear (no more crack) which he is doing in combination with raising the body lift mounts on the side as well. Ground clearance will also be increased and the departure angle will be slightly improved as well.

If you didn't know what you were looking for you'd think this was factory:

View attachment 230865

View attachment 230866

View attachment 230868

View attachment 230869

View attachment 230867

View attachment 230870
Correcting the upper coils mounts at the same time too?

Outboard towers and relocated spring perches:

03EF840F-D6BD-4E9A-B404-36B969E43808.jpeg
0D5DE5CC-C934-403A-9234-B1156A8A5330.jpeg
0826B1B9-CE9F-46D5-82D3-8E09CCFD70D4.jpeg
3677CEB2-34F9-4EF1-9C6E-A29615EBF496.jpeg
C35B75B5-2847-4C64-B034-EFE4ABD02ED4.jpeg
1FE0D5E0-7616-4D8D-BC6B-E47626F30A9B.jpeg

WOW that looks great Chris & kudos to Blaine for doing his ALWAYS awesome work.

Reactions: Chris
Status
Not open for further replies.