Project "Frankentrailer"

How is Franky coming along?

Pretty slow. Been so hot out, and with it in the welding shop, I'm having a hard time finding motivation to work on it. But, I had a plan yesterday to move it, so I've done some cleaning and opened up a spot that might work better.

Reactions: lowranger
Whatcha think @lowranger ? Cleaned up an area in the breezeway. Now I have to look at Franky every time I come to work or go home. Maybe that will motivate me. Much cooler here too than the welding shop. I was trying to think of a convenient way to drill some holes to mount the rear stabilizer jack.
20200807_101709.jpg

Whatcha think @lowranger ? Cleaned up an area in the breezeway. Now I have to look at Franky every time I come to work or go home. Maybe that will motivate me. Much cooler here too than the welding shop. I was trying to think of a convenient way to drill some holes to mount the rear stabilizer jack.
View attachment 182101
Rear bumper with a Dual hitch receiver should work for the stabilizer jacks. Or if you get fancy, something like two of these jacks inside the trailer and use a cordless drill to bring them up and down.
Jacks

Reactions: bobthetj03
I had one of these laying around doing nothing productive with its life, so I drilled/tapped some threads and bolted it on the back. I forgot how much fun drilling thru 1/4" wall box is, not!
20200807_125756.jpg

Unfortunately, the jacks aren't long enough to get the tub level, so I'll fab up some risers with some 3/4" plywood for a base and a piece of 2x4. I only need 2.25" to get it level. It'll work for now until I figure out a more elegant solution for a rear bumper/receiver.

Wife's home with the pup today, so I made a little progress and remove most everything in prep for paint.
View attachment 183828View attachment 183829View attachment 183830
Poor Bella Boo!
View attachment 183831
She's getting around better now, but I have to wait another week before they remove the staples.
Making progress on the trailer... Good!
I can take the staples out of your dog..:). I use to put them in and take them out of my dogs when I was pig hunting.

Trying to make some progress. A body man I am not, but the sides needed some attention. Got some more sanding to do, but it's looking better. I'm going to cheat a little and spray some Raptor liner above the top of the rail to the transition line to hide some sin.
View attachment 184890View attachment 184891

Lookin great. I am excited for some trailer trips!

Trying to make some progress. A body man I am not, but the sides needed some attention. Got some more sanding to do, but it's looking better. I'm going to cheat a little and spray some Raptor liner above the top of the rail to the transition line to hide some sin.
View attachment 184890View attachment 184891

Looking good and there's nothing wrong with hiding sins. When I had the bed of my Comanche sprayed at Linex I was all set to weld, grind, metal finish, etc. all of the screw holes (30+) that were needed when the OEM plastic bed liner was installed. They said "don't bother". They put down roughly 1" squares of aluminum heating duct tape (very thin and tough) over each hole and then sprayed my bed. It worked perfectly. If you have any holes I'm sure it work under Raptor liner.

What paint top coat are you going with? I just sprayed a trailer of mine with single stage enamel (Tremclad - a Rustoleum product) and am happy with the results. Next up is my Jeep!

Last edited:
Looking good and there's nothing wrong with hiding sins. When I had the bed of my Comanche sprayed at Linex I was all set to weld, grind, metal finish, etc. all of the screw holes (30+) that were needed when the OEM plastic bed liner was installed. They said "don't bother". They put down roughly 1" squares of aluminum heating duct tape (very thin and tough) over each hole and than sprayed my bed. It worked perfectly. If you have any holes I'm sure it work under Raptor liner.

What paint top coat are you going with? I just sprayed a trailer of mine with single stage enamel (Tremclad - a Rustoleum product) and am happy with the results. Next up is my Jeep!

Good idea on the heating tape! I'll be spraying with Nason Acrylic Urethane single stage, then I'll tape off the rail for the Raptor. Might do the flares in Raptor too. They are a bit rough and would save me some clean up time.