A few pages back, I had mentioned a little GPW that my business partner had picked up. Well, after a year or so, he lost interest, and I purchased this little Ford GPW from him. With title in hand, this little jeep is mine.

PXL_20211020_163043258.jpg

You know, because I had too much spare time and money on my hands.

PXL_20211020_160500197.jpg

PXL_20211023_173543022.jpg

Last edited:
What are your plans for it? Restore it or?
Get it running with all original equipment, them see what it can conquer. I'm resisting the urge to do a 4 link front and rear with tiny 8" coil overs. Once it's running reliably I'll address the body, but it's not getting a full show room restoration. Fix any rust. Straighten what I can. I little body filler and some tan paint with Red wheels.

Last edited:
Reactions: WSS and Wildman
I think I've got it right, First I had to define full bump for me. I kept cycling the axle up and articulating until it would hit something, then I would move or modify that something. First was the rear passenger footwell, which I massaged with a hammer (a few pages back) Then it was the body and tire. Since I'm going 37's a lot of metal had to be trimmed off. Right up to the wheel well. I defined this as the hard limit to up-travel for me. Tires and suspension would not be allowed into the passenger compartment. So I took the tire all the way to the bottom of the wheel well at full flex... And I located the shock tower from this position. As luck would have it, the shock towers from Poly performance are the exact height needed for this. coincidence?

The front of the wheel arch I intentionally squared off slightly instead of a circle or oval. I thought it was more in line with the original shape of the flares for a TJ and looked nice.
PXL_20211030_154845496.jpg

PXL_20211030_154917438.jpg
PXL_20211030_154855271.jpg
PXL_20211030_154934948.jpg

Those big ole 37's tuck in there nicely.

I've already mocked up the 4 link.

PXL_20211028_202327721.jpg

All I had to do was use two grinders, 6 cutting wheels, 2 flappy discs and about 4 hours and the old brackets came right off!

PXL_20211025_202306575.jpg

PXL_20211025_202312128.jpg

I fabricated the upper truss mounts, the ones from Artec just weren't working. I wanted a little less separation on the axle side to keep the anti-squat and roll center a little lower. Vertical separation at the axle is 8" and separation at the frame is 6.5".

And if anyone is looking for a Ford 8.8 for a build, let me know.

Its got a C clip eliminator with Chromoly shafts so it's 1/2" wider than a Dana 44.
4:10 Gears, open carrier.
Artec Truss but NO brackets of any kind. The axle is smooth.
Black magic parking brake adapters.
Black magic brake pads

DM if intrested.

**Sold**

Last edited:
I ordered The Jjoints through Northridge, and the brackets, bungs, and DOM through Artec

Thanks, I'll need that to. I'm currently looking at prices for the joints though and just seen polypermance has them for $68 something per one joint kit.
Check Summit Racing, Parts Mike and you might want to see what Robert Kobal can do at RWKHaus. Robert usually has better than shown pricing.

Thanks, I'll need that to. I'm currently looking at prices for the joints though and just seen polypermance has them for $68 something per one joint kit.
Barnes has reasonable prices on their enduro joints. I have zero experience with them but have heard positive reviews.

Reactions: TJ Starting
Barnes has reasonable prices on their enduro joints. I have zero experience with them but have heard positive reviews.
Well I'd really prefer just to go straight to JJs if I'm going to spend the money but at $68 I'm gonna be in over $1000. 🤡

• Sad
Reactions: Apparition
I'm resisting the urge to do a 4 link front and rear with tiny 8" coil overs.
Dude this is exactly what i want to do for my kids first vehicle. Almost rat rod with no power and maybe Jk axles.

Dude this is exactly what i want to do for my kids first vehicle. Almost rat rod with no power and maybe Jk axles.
I thought this was about the coolest thing ever...I kinda want to build one for ME, so I quit beating up on my nice jeep! If my link didn't catch the right time, check it out at about 10:26