Rocky Mountain Billy Goat Build

The liners didn't even register.

PXL_20211117_013744362.jpg

PXL_20211117_013638289.jpg

I missed it, my bad.

What are you doing for color? Or did I miss that too?
I think I'll leave them black, they have a nice coating on the fenders and liners. But I'll have to see how it looks on. Eventually I'll have flak armor on the sides so other than that they'll look a lot like my MCEs do now.

Reactions: Alex01 and tworley
As an example of one thing I didn't know until too late, both my drive shafts have boots. I shredded one last summer and have been needing to fix it. However for rock crawling they recommend the X style (bootless).

Converting is pretty simple, you get the new dust cap and have to drill a new zerk. Be sure to mark the shaft first to not turn it at all while reinstalling, messing up the balance.

I'll get to the rear shaft eventually too.

PXL_20211121_171307998.jpg

Looking at your picture again I just have to say, the savvy sliders are designed so much better than the GenRight ones with that meaty backing plate. They just need a mini-boatside variant!
Why did the Genright mini boatsides win you over? If you had the choice again, which would you choose?

Why did the Genright mini boatsides win you over? If you had the choice again, which would you choose?
They seemed like a good deal locally, new never installed. The boat side portion really is great, however to leverage that I'm going to have to hack them up because the bars/step are too far out and too low. They're too expensive to need to be modified after the fact.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alex01
Agree. I've been looking at them pretty hard. I think they'd be better if there were no bar at all (and less expensive).
They weren't supposed to have a step. GR added it because of public pressure that thinks there needs to be a step.

I'm debating what I'm going to do with mine, either no bar or a smaller tighter bar (maybe a semicircle) toward the top.
I would still run a bar along the top of the slider panel to pivot on and keep the door way away from rocks. I’d think about doing aluminum flat bar like this if it was mine.
608E5A7C-0644-4D79-A98F-9572E0DD3FCA.jpeg

Agree. I've been looking at them pretty hard. I think they'd be better if there were no bar at all (and less expensive).
I tried to convince them to send me ones that the bar hadn't been welded on yet. No dice. I'm going to run it as is for now. If they get hung up too often, (and I doubt they will) its trivial to cut them off.

Reactions: nathanotis
I tried to convince them to send me ones that the bar hadn't been welded on yet. No dice. I'm going to run it as is for now. If they get hung up too often, (and I doubt they will) its trivial to cut them off.
I don't know what you run, but mine definitely have been hung up pretty regularly. They'll be coming off when I finish the fender swap, since the bar will be in the way of where I need to cut for the new back wall of my fender.

Reactions: nathanotis