Rough ride

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I looked up Rancho rear shocks for my Jeep: RS 55241…extended length 21.67”. I Cut the red plastic boot off and measured. 2 3/4” exposed rod on the driverside shock and 2 7/8” on the passenger side. To acheive a 50/50 ratio there should be about ( 8.16 travel lengthdivided by 2= 4.08 minus 2.75= 1.33”… so I need about another 1.33 inches of shock rod exposed to achieve the 50/50 ratio of uptravel to downtravel….probably why the rear is bottoming out

View attachment 369936

View attachment 369937

Yep. You can use the zip tie trick to confirm but the math says you need to be taller or use the RS55240 shock which is a touch shorter.

There is one way you can fix this with springs. 🤫

That’s what I thought. Also relevant since the stock springs seem to have squatted about an inch over the last 17 years. What springs would bring my ride height up 1.5”. From the current 7” or maybe 2”????

Since the shock has squatted…maybe time for new slightly slightly taller shocks.

Shorter shocks to better fit the ride height or a taller ride height to fit the shocks.

Reactions: JMT
I'm now realizing I can no longer keep up with this thread! o_O

ox7f1fvapxv1bxafpbz6o1yrkb9y5xyy90c376uf&rid=giphy.gif

I've been through more OME coils and spacers than most here. If there was ever a difference in ride, it was exceedingly minor if it even existed to begin with.

@Irun has a post earlier in this thread with similar conclusions. Take a look and comment on it.

I have also done the shock work and have had the tuning to know first hand that shocks have an enormous affect on the ride quality. Right now, I can adjust my shocks to be excessively soft and cloud like or harsh and jittery. I have used many different springs, and never had the difference in ride quality between them that a change in shock can do.

A full tank of gas is about 90lbs, btw. That's about 45lbs difference for one of the rear springs to react against. On a stockish rate pair of coils, this translates to about a 3/8" difference in ride height. If your clients can't tell the difference if a 3/8" change in ride height by adding 90lbs of fuel, they aren't perceiving a change in ride quality after a 20lb x2 change in spring rate. If it exists, it isn't coming from the spring rate.

I never said shocks don't affect ride quality. They absolutely do. I do take issue with your comment about using more OME coils and spacers than most here.
If this was true, you'd be in agreement with me.

I never said shocks don't affect ride quality. They absolutely do. I do take issue with your comment about using more OME coils and spacers than most here.
If this was true, you'd be in agreement with me.

Really? This is getting very close to being a science vs religion debate. If only I had more faith in this thing you can't provide evidence of.

I don't need to touch the fire 1000 times to know it's hot. I can understand it from other people's experiences equally well. It's not the case always and there are things for which direct experience helps more than inferred knowledge, but this situation with springs is not one of those.

If you can, please clearly explain what it is about OME springs that are very special, other than the fact that they are offered in multiple rates and different lengths. I have already postulated that they are not different than offerings any other manufacturer except in terms of the very exact numbers they offer and I stand by it.

And a question for you - how many jeeps have you worked with that had tuned shocks, good or bad? And yes, this is absolutely one of those situations where direct experience will teach more than inferred knowledge. I know because I have experienced it, and I know others that have experienced the same.

If you have not experienced it, it'll will be very useful for you to find a Jeep amidst the many you may know in the community and go experience how much difference changing the shock tune (note: I did not say changing the shock - I said changing only the tune in the shock) makes by itself. Then please come back and tell us if you still think spring rates in the range that we can get for our TJs for any given height matter.

It certainly is. I could explain why OME coils are better QUALITY than Rough Country and some others, but it won't matter. You'll just drag me down the next rabbit hole and change the subject again.

Why guys keep bringing up shocks in this discussion is beyond me. I've been building TJ's since they came out in 1997. FULL-TIME since 1999.
I've been involved in literally HUNDREDS of TJ builds and sold literally thousands of suspension systems. Had multiple rigs in magazine features as well, but somehow folks want to assume that I just bought my first jeep last week.

I have built multiple rigs with "tuned" shocks, as well as higher end adjustable shocks like OME BP-51's, although those aren't what we sell the most of.
I never came to argue or dispute the values of shock tuning. Bringing that into a discussion of whether coil rates affect ride quality is disingenuous...
at BEST!

I know for a fact that I can take a bone stock TJ, set it up with one set of OME coils and shocks, R&R a different set of OME coils, adjust/space to remove any "shock bias" arguments and prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that the exact same jeep will produce a VERY different ride...with nothing but a different set of OME coils.

I guess the only real question is whether anyone wants to put their money where their mouth is and prove me wrong?

I'd even be willing to provide the coils and the place to do it. Bring your video camera and expose me to the world if you feel confident.
What's that you say? You'd be all over that if it wasn't for the expense of getting up here?
How about this- I'll bet you $1000.00 cash on the result. If you are THAT confident, bring your betting cash and your video camera and prove me wrong!
If I lose, you'll have a grand in your pocket, the video proof that I was dead wrong and the supreme right to be the guy who finally put this argument to rest.

So, whaddya say? Yes, let's do it.....orrrr do you just want to keep rambling?

It certainly is. I could explain why OME coils are better QUALITY than Rough Country and some others, but it won't matter. You'll just drag me down the next rabbit hole and change the subject again.

Why guys keep bringing up shocks in this discussion is beyond me. I've been building TJ's since they came out in 1997. FULL-TIME since 1999.
I've been involved in literally HUNDREDS of TJ builds and sold literally thousands of suspension systems. Had multiple rigs in magazine features as well, but somehow folks want to assume that I just bought my first jeep last week.

I have built multiple rigs with "tuned" shocks, as well as higher end adjustable shocks like OME BP-51's, although those aren't what we sell the most of.
I never came to argue or dispute the values of shock tuning. Bringing that into a discussion of whether coil rates affect ride quality is disingenuous...
at BEST!

I know for a fact that I can take a bone stock TJ, set it up with one set of OME coils and shocks, R&R a different set of OME coils, adjust/space to remove any "shock bias" arguments and prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that the exact same jeep will produce a VERY different ride...with nothing but a different set of OME coils.

I guess the only real question is whether anyone wants to put their money where their mouth is and prove me wrong?

I'd even be willing to provide the coils and the place to do it. Bring your video camera and expose me to the world if you feel confident.
What's that you say? You'd be all over that if it wasn't for the expense of getting up here?
How about this- I'll bet you $1000.00 cash on the result. If you are THAT confident, bring your betting cash and your video camera and prove me wrong!
If I lose, you'll have a grand in your pocket, the video proof that I was dead wrong and the supreme right to be the guy who finally put this argument to rest.

So, whaddya say? Yes, let's do it.....orrrr do you just want to keep rambling?

When you have had shocks or coilovers tuned, does the tuner ask about the spring rate? Mine never has.

See my last post. The gauntlet has been thrown down. Put your money where your mouth is!

I think you should put your gauntlet away and explain how to tune springs. Anyway, Blaine already made the offer to prove one or the other. Maybe give that a go.

Reactions: psrivats
Either will get you what you need. They are both supporting the same amount of weight at ride height. Your springs need to be in the 10” range, installed (2” lift)

I’m not very astute technically and so I never figured out Resources on here until my wife who is an electrical engineer and a brilliant computer whiz helped me. So I’ve been reading thru the resources on springs and shocks and came to the conclusion that I purchased th wrong Rancho shocks by one size. Long winded reply…you are correct!! So what springs do I put on? I guess I need front and rear 2” lift.

I’m not very astute technically and so I never figured out Resources on here until my wife who is an electrical engineer and a brilliant computer whiz helped me. So I’ve been reading thru the resources on springs and shocks and came to the conclusion that I purchased th wrong Rancho shocks by one size. Long winded reply…you are correct!! So what springs do I put on? I guess I need front and rear 2” lift.
So I looked up Rancho rear shocks for my Jeep: RS 55241…extended length 21.67”. I Cut the red plastic boot off and measured. 2 3/4” exposed rod on the driverside shock and 2 7/8” on the passenger side. To acheive a 50/50 ratio there should be about ( 8.16 travel lengthdivided by 2= 4.08 minus 2.75= 1.33”… so I need about another 1.33 inches of shock rod exposed to achieve the 50/50 ratio of uptravel to downtravel….probably why the rear is bottoming out

View attachment 369936

View attachment 369937

You could add a 1.25” spacer and be about right or get a shorter shock. You’re rear spring is sagging quite a bit. Not that it means you should replace them. But a 1.25” spacer would be about right. Cheap, adequate solution.

Reactions: RMETeeJay
Just to clarify.
Will the Jeep be at the same height with the 2 different rate springs (no spring spacers added)?

You could add a 1.25” spacer and be about right or get a shorter shock. You’re rear spring is sagging quite a bit. Not that it means you should replace them. But a 1.25” spacer would be about right. Cheap, adequate solution.

I appreciate the frugal solution. I’m more of a mind to replace the sagging springs.probably front and rear. However, due to this forum and info I know why the rear end is bottoming out on a not too bad dip. I’ll take it easy for awhile and maybe be on the prowl fo some OME 2933/2941 or pro comp springs to raise me and my winch up a couple inches

Status
Not open for further replies.