Starting over: A lightweight Rock Crawling Daily Driver

Time for a diet!

Anything I can think of to eliminate might eventually only add up to 100lbs after a lot of work.
20240526_114054.jpg

Yea I was amazed when you said you weighed in at 4500, your Jeep is one of the more weight conscious builds on the forum…

Changing to an aluminum front bumper and then removing the York OBA and AC system are the big three things I can come up with that might remove less than 100lbs.

Changing to an aluminum front bumper and then removing the York OBA and AC system are the big three things I can come up with that might remove less than 100lbs.

What about mounting your spare in the back, and then you could replace the tailgate and hinges in favor for a drop down aluminum tailgate, id imagine you could probably drop at least 50lbs doing that. That’s what I’ve been contemplating as my tailgate is bent from the PO and that stupid tire carrier/basket bs.

What about mounting your spare in the back, and then you could replace the tailgate and hinges in favor for a drop down aluminum tailgate, id imagine you could probably drop at least 50lbs doing that. That’s what I’ve been contemplating as my tailgate is bent from the PO and that stupid tire carrier/basket bs.

Moving the spare into the bed will happen. I would lose the small weight of what currently remains of the ExoGate in exchange for whatever tire mount I build to replace it. From there, the naked factory gate is already not very heavy and I don't want a drop down.

Moving the spare into the bed will happen. I would lose the small weight of what currently remains of the ExoGate in exchange for whatever tire mount I build to replace it. From there, the naked factory gate is already not very heavy and I don't want a drop down.

That’s entirely fair, I’m gonna keep track of everything going forward weight wise, where do you think all your extra weight has come from? I could imagine the 44s not helping nor the 241? I intentionally sought out a tj with a Dana 35 because it’s lighter and high clearance as well as strong enough when built properly.

Reactions: Woodrow and CMBD
That’s entirely fair, I’m gonna keep track of everything going forward weight wise, where do you think all your extra weight has come from? I could imagine the 44s not helping nor the 241? I intentionally sought out a tj with a Dana 35 because it’s lighter and high clearance as well as strong enough when built properly.

F/R 44s, 241, winch and bumpers, 35" tires with hidden beadlocks, bigger brakes, hubs, lockers, full aluminum armor, midarm stuff, shock towers, all add up.

It could be much heavier if several of the things I have added weren't chosen with adding weight slowly in mind. And things didn't start that way in my early days of building.

Last edited:
F/R 44s, 241, winch and bumpers, 35" tires with hidden beadlocks, bigger brakes, hubs, lockers, full aluminum armor, midarm stuff, shock towers, all add up.

It could be much heavier if several of the things I have added weren't chosen with adding weight slowly in mind. And things didn't start that way in my early days of building.
I need to go weigh my shitbox now and see how it compares

That’s what I figured

Hidden bead locks?…. Got a page number in your thread on that one, I don’t remember ever reading about it

Anything I can think of to eliminate might eventually only add up to 100lbs after a lot of work.
View attachment 531634

Are you Fully loaded out for trail running? I’m sure you know, but spares parts, tools, all that pack out stuff you like is heavy, too.

I don’t think any weight savings will come from the Jeep, but thinking about the difference, I’d bet that is a big one. Blake was probably empty, you probably had your stuff.

Reactions: Blake Stamper
Are you Fully loaded out for trail running? I’m sure you know, but spares parts, tools, all that pack out stuff you like is heavy, too.

I don’t think any weight savings will come from the Jeep, but thinking about the difference, I’d bet that is a big one. Blake was probably empty, you probably had your stuff.

That was my normal day out with a tool bag

Very true, recovery bag and tools were at home, it should stick somewhat close to that number when I pull the seat, it’ll also gain some weight when I re mount the winch up front. Realistically all this weigh in meant for me was a benchmark to compare to after I’ve done armor, skids, sliders, and bumpers, every single one of those items are weight adders but at the same the weight additions by far doesn’t outweigh the risk of not running those items.

Reactions: Mike_H and CMBD

Last night, I was pulling apart a recently acquired XJ HP 30 and I picked up the bare housing to move it around in the shop. I was impressed at how light it is. It will be built up as a Super 30 to replace my current 27 spline LP 30. We will see how that and my Super 35 hold up this year with locked 35s, but I am a fan of the weight and clearance.

Last edited:
I started out about where you are with weight, around 3700 lbs. In building mine, I've been about as weight conscious with my 31"/32" build as possible. I'm currently sitting at around 4200 lbs with driver and full tank of gas. For me the big weight gains were the Dana 44 rear, along with the 241 transfer case. However, once you start adding upgrades to armor, suspension, steering, bumpers, winches and more, even being weight aware, you can easily tack on another 200+ lbs.

Last edited: