Synthetic winch rope install

Wouldn't it pinch a steel rope as well? I haven't seen too many but those I have seen don't have any pinch points. As the rope crosses the corner it simply passes from one roller to the other.
I guess it doesn’t. Makes more sense after reading mrblaine’s response.

Last edited:
Nope, only a poorly designed roller has that issue. Another of those "not all are the same" things. There are some rollers that have the sides too far out which leaves the support tabs more easily gotten into. That came up in a discussion on Jeep Forum many years ago due to some guy who kept cutting his steel cable when it got up in the corners. When it showed a pic, it was pretty obvious that it would do it easily.

Also it isn't pinching. On high angle pulls, the line gets into the corner against the sharp edge of the support tab and that cuts it.
Scale model but shows the problem. There is a lot of exposed tab area that will shred steel or synthetic under load.

View attachment 280427

This is better where the potential for dragging the line across the edges is reduced.

View attachment 280428

Ahh, I see now. That top roller fairlead looks terrible. Good info to know. Thanks.

Had to look at my roller fairlead in my pics. Ok, all is good. Just sticks out a bit.
jeepparking004.jpg

I guess it doesn’t. Makes more sense after reading mrblain’s response.
Pinch is a big misnomer because it wholly overlooks that both steel cable and synthetic do not easily deflect in a short area under load. If you walk up to one and try to bend the rope under load, it isn't much different than trying to bend a solid steel bar of the same diameter.

Same reason I run one and the weight difference. You can only grind your rollers into a rock face so many times before you start to think there has to be a different way.

Had not heard about the sticking out part till reading this thread. Which sent me looking at my pics. My rig is still rough around the edges. I am sure Garrett and Chris will give me an ear full once I can tackle the stuff they are doing.

Reactions: Irun
30 seconds in and he's already doing it wrong. The tail gets taped to the drum and goes under the wraps. Why would you leave it sticking out?
Like this...

Duct-taping.jpg

Same reason I run one and the weight difference. You can only grind your rollers into a rock face so many times before you start to think there has to be a different way.

And this...
Fini.jpg