Nope no interference between them, the rollbar would affect the antennas more. My CB antenna is on the driver's side, the 2m is on the passenger-side.

View attachment 16229

View attachment 16228

@Jerry Bransford
I always run my HAM antennas on the drivers side and CB antennas on the passenger side, opposite of what you're doing. This is because the ham antennas are almost always a lot more money to replace if they get damaged and the passenger side seems to get into the trees, bushes, rocks, stumps foliage & cut away clearanced logs more often. CB antennas are much more common and a lot less money to replace so the drivers side is favored a little more. YMMV.

@Jerry Bransford
I always run my HAM antennas on the drivers side and CB antennas on the passenger side, opposite of what you're doing. This is because the ham antennas are almost always a lot more money to replace if they get damaged and the passenger side seems to get into the trees, bushes, rocks, stumps foliage & cut away clearanced logs more often. CB antennas are much more common and a lot less money to replace so the drivers side is favored a little more. YMMV.
Not an issue where I wheel. ;)

131119114721-namibia-skeleton-coast-7-horizontal-large-gallery.jpg

I have looked at this pic several times and I just can't get over how, zooming in to see green notwithstanding, much it reminds me of something one of the Mars rovers may have encountered.
Ha, you know you're right about that. I never thought about it but absolutely, that pic reminds me of some of the Mars photos I've seen too. For sure, it is definitely desolate out there. It's really something how an area so desolate can be so popular for rock crawling and so jammed with people during some events like King of the Hammers that happens out there.

King of the Hammers (an annual national rock crawling/race event) does this to that area once a year. A few weeks after the KOH is over, it reverts back to look like the above photo. There's an amazing transformation. It takes 6 weeks of preparation to get it ready... from desolation to this. Wow.

Hammertown-2013.jpg

Order the antenna mount too, you'll need it. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01IC2T8NM/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Do you have a mounting bracket in mind? This one will work fine, it mounts under the tail light so no drilling is needed. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006D9W2OO/?tag=wranglerorg-20

However, some of its powder coating will need to be removed before you mount it so the antenna will work ok. Post up here or send me a message for a few pieces of instruction on doing to and assembling the antenna mount properly once you receive them and are ready to start the installation.
Is there a side mount option? My TJ has a spot where the PO had an antena mounted. So there is a spot (hole) for it that I would like to use/cover up? if not no worries I will do the rear mount option.

Is there a side mount option? My TJ has a spot where the PO had an antenna mounted. So there is a spot (hole) for it that I would like to use/cover up? if not no worries I will do the rear mount option.
Sure, you only need to find a mount that uses that size hole.

I have an old school Cobra 19xs in my jeep. There's a switch that says "off" and "analog" Can someone explain what the analog is for?
It's an "ANL"Automatic Noise Limiter. It clears out some of the weaker signals that can cause you to get noise.

Is this the right one? It say FL3-B.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004USX7EE/?tag=wranglerorg-20

A Uniden Pro-520XL is one of the most popular and at only $38 on Amazon.com now is a bargain. I've been running one for 20 years now, they're darned near bulletproof. This one... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00004VXNI/?tag=wranglerorg-20

I wish you had asked about antennas first before buying the one you did like you asked about CBs first. To put it bluntly, that particular Firestik antenna you bought, uh, well, sucks. It is a no-groundplane style of antenna which does not perform well. Period. NGP antennas are designed for use on vehicles without any steel in them, like fiberglass or wooden boats. NGP antennas are compromise designs at best.

Conventional antennas (not no-groundplane models) designed to make use of the Jeep's inherently excellent groundplane (lots of steel makes for a good groundplane) work about a million times better. Maybe not a million times but you get the idea. The one you bought will technically "work" but it won't work in marginal conditions like a conventional CB antenna will.

This is the style of antenna I would have recommended had you asked first.... a Firestik II FS series which is available in lengths from 2' to 5' though I'd go for a 2' or 3' at the tallest. http://firestik.com/CatalogFrame.htm and click on the Firestik II link. Amazon sells them. Personally I'd go for the Firestik FS-2B (black) or FS-3B which are 2' or 3' tall antennas, depending on what height you want. I prefer 2' tall since it doesn't get hung up on obstacles or need to be removed when I drive into my garage. It also works extremely well even when I am leading large groups of Jeeps around, the tail-end Jeeps always hear my CB loud and clear. You don't need a real tall antenna just to go trail riding with friends.

I am considering using this to mount it when it arrives. Has anyone ever used this mount?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007W7SGBY/?tag=wranglerorg-20

The reviews I read online seemed good and you can put it on any flat surface. I have a place on the side where the body has been drilled for an antenna but I am inclined to put it on the back instead. Thoughts?
Mounting it on the side would lead to it getting knocked around more. Mounting on the rear is often the best option.

Mounting it on the side would lead to it getting knocked around more. Mounting on the rear is often the best option.
Thoughts on the mounting bracket? I know I will have to drill it versus use bracket that mounts to tailight holes. I have swapped my tail lights for flush mount ORO lights. So I am thinking this is better options.

Reactions: JP98
I am considering using this to mount it when it arrives. Has anyone ever used this mount?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007W7SGBY/?tag=wranglerorg-20

The reviews I read online seemed good and you can put it on any flat surface. I have a place on the side where the body has been drilled for an antenna but I am inclined to put it on the back instead. Thoughts?
I use a mount like this. It keeps you from having to drill any new holes. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06Y3TCT9J/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Thoughts on the mounting bracket? I know I will have to drill it versus use bracket that mounts to tailight holes. I have swapped my tail lights for flush mount ORO lights. So I am thinking this is better options.
Sorry about that. It looks like we were posting replies at the same time.

Reactions: PhantomX
Here is an example of the behind tail light mount.
41nXT-Odq5L.jpg

If you have corner or quarter armor, I always recommend with flush LED tail lights to weld a tab behind the jeep above the tail light somewhere between the tail gate and corner to your armor. Use a piece of 3/16 or 1/4" thick steel so it is stout enough and won't bend, drill it with the appropriate diameter hole for a stud mount like what trucker CB mirror mounts use. This in lieu of the "behind the box tail light" mount method shown above. You are mimicking the tab at the top where the antenna mounts to if you can visualize it. Your mount will have the best vehicle ground possible and will be out of the way of side-swipe obstacles that could tear the antenna off the Jeep. See the style mount I am referring to below that I got off the Amazon link at the bottom of this page. This mount fits in the hole on the tab that is in the above pictured mounting bracket.
41KIriDDUoL._SX425_.jpg

The nylon washer must be in place to insulate the stud that is connected to the center conductor of the coax cable. The SO-239 connector will accept your coax plug and screws right together. Using a quality Firestik tunable tip antenna like the FS3 or FS4 will provide excellent coverage and range. Shorter antennas will have reduced range, longer antennas will have better efficiency and range but can wag like a tail on a dog, hitting and banging into trees, spare tire racks or the Jeep top. I prefer a 3 or 4 foot model myself.

If you are a HAM or are thinking of becoming one, Use this same style of mounting for your 2Meter or multi-band VHF/UHF antenna. A slightly wider tab with a little larger hole for the typical SO-239, "N" style or NMO mount works just as well and will be super durable too. The Jeep body, roll bar or top protects your expensive HAM antenna from damage from the same side-swipe obstacles as well.

The CB I recommend that doesn't break the bank is Here:
520XL.jpg

Has 7 Watts of audio output to be loud enough to hear over highway noise, fits in tight spaces and will outperform that 75 P.O.S that all-in-one Cobra garbage.... I know, many people will hate on me but the truth is, it really isn't a very good radio for anything more than Jeep-in-front to Jeep-in-back communications short range. That's why you don't see truckers using them now do you! No bias, no spin, no BS advice. The Cobra 75 is better than nothing though and may be the only thing the misses will allow in "her" Jeep! So if you must, I'm just saying it's like Snap-On vs. well.... Harbor freight for a speed handle ratchet. Sure it works but....... Soapbox rant off...... :)

Here are a few pictures of some of the other parts you will want to get:

A HEAVY DUTY spring, Make sure it is really a HEAVY DUTY spring cause Firestiks are substantial and need to be stiff but still bend if a tree or rock catches it and not fold down in the wind driving on the freeway. You'll know if your spring isn't up to the task.

RG-8X or RG-58U coax with connectors attached, preferably quality molded on ones that won't come loose.

A Firestik tunable tip antenna in your choice of color 2ft, 3ft or 4ft long.
index.jpg
91sE4z+82wL._SX425_.jpg

511WrJj9MpL._SL1000_.jpg

Here are nice windshield frame Footman loop mounts for CB & HAM radios that will keep your CB safe from high water crossings and out from under the dash. No drill design unless your footman loop is riveted, then drill the rivets and attach with screws. Keeps the cord out of the way too with a nice retaining loop built right in.
1st is part # 13551.08 for 1997 to 2002 early windshields
Footman97.jpg

This second image is for the 2002-2006 TJ/LJ windshields Part # 13551.07:
Footman02.jpg

They are slightly different in design so investigate which one fits your rig especially if yours is a mid year 2002 where the windshield footman loop mount area changed. Both on Amazon from Rugged Ridge as just one example of a very neat, clean discreet way to mount your CB without all kinds of holes drilled in your dash & console.

Last edited:
Here is an example of the behind tail light mount.
View attachment 21982
If you have corner or quarter armor, I always recommend with flush LED tail lights to weld a tab behind the jeep above the tail light somewhere between the tail gate and corner to your armor. Use a piece of 3/16 or 1/4" thick steel so it is stout enough and won't bend, drill it with the appropriate diameter hole for a stud mount like what trucker CB mirror mounts use. This in lieu of the "behind the box tail light" mount method shown above. You are mimicking the tab at the top where the antenna mounts to if you can visualize it. Your mount will have the best vehicle ground possible and will be out of the way of side-swipe obstacles that could tear the antenna off the Jeep. See the style mount I am referring to below that I got off the Amazon link at the bottom of this page. This mount fits in the hole on the tab that is in the above pictured mounting bracket.
View attachment 21981
The nylon washer must be in place to insulate the stud that is connected to the center conductor of the coax cable. The SO-239 connector will accept your coax plug and screws right together. Using a quality Firestik tunable tip antenna like the FS3 or FS4 will provide excellent coverage and range. Shorter antennas will have reduced range, longer antennas will have better efficiency and range but can wag like a tail on a dog, hitting and banging into trees, spare tire racks or the Jeep top. I prefer a 3 or 4 foot model myself.

If you are a HAM or are thinking of becoming one, Use this same style of mounting for your 2Meter or multi-band VHF/UHF antenna. A slightly wider tab with a little larger hole for the typical SO-239, "N" style or NMO mount works just as well and will be super durable too. The Jeep body, roll bar or top protects your expensive HAM antenna from damage from the same side-swipe obstacles as well.
Thanks! That is helpful and the note about the best ground makes sense. I lilked the other one because it was very clean looking and no exposed wires but this makes more sense!

Reactions: RangerRick