The Official Tummy Tuck FAQ Thread

How is a selectable up front more stress than an auto locker up front? Remember that Jeep put a selectable on the Rubicon with 31" tires.
Ask @David Kishpaugh, but I think it relates to the stress caused on steering components during turning when an auto locker unlocks vs a selectable which does not. I’m getting this information from him in another post in another thread.

Ask @David Kishpaugh, but I think it relates to the stress caused on steering components during turning when an auto locker unlocks vs a selectable which does not. I’m getting this information from him in another post in another thread.

Why does an auto locker unlock while turning? How does it know and why is that desirable?

Why does an auto locker unlock while turning? How does it know and why is that desirable?
An auto locker only unlocks if there is enough difference in wheel speed to overcome the spring force pushing the dogs together. Part of what I think people prefer the auto locker up front boils down to a few things. 1: it has some inherent slop built in and that decreases the amount of bind between the two axles. 2 it is simpler, always on and has no wires or hoses to worry about. 3 Listen to John Currie himself

An auto locker only unlocks if there is enough difference in wheel speed to overcome the spring force pushing the dogs together. Part of what I think people prefer the auto locker up front boils down to a few things. 1: it has some inherent slop built in and that decreases the amount of bind between the two axles. 2 it is simpler, always on and has no wires or hoses to worry about. 3 Listen to John Currie himself

This video talks about his setup front/rear - but it highlights why to go with a selectable rear, not an auto locking front.

Im definitely curious about this, as it seems locked rear makes more of an impact by pushing the front end than a locked front end makes pulling (and requiring less slippage with the turned wheels).

I’d like to know what impacts to check out up front.

Im definitely curious about this, as it seems locked rear makes more of an impact by pushing the front end than a locked front end makes pulling (and requiring less slippage with the turned wheels).

I’d like to know what impacts to check out up front.
My understanding is also that the rear pushes more than the front when locked, increasing turning radius, but that was not @David Kishpaugh reasoning for an auto locker up front, which I believe was Yukon IIRC. I certainly remember that he said he NEVER would install a selectable locker up front unless the rig had 37’s or larger. Take it up w him

My understanding is also that the rear pushes more than the front when locked, increasing turning radius, but that was not @David Kishpaugh reasoning for an auto locker up front, which I believe was Yukon IIRC. I certainly remember that he said he NEVER would install a selectable locker up front unless the rig had 37’s or larger. Take it up w him

It sounds like there’s a thread I should follow? I don’t have strong opinions here - just looking to read/hear more info!

It sounds like there’s a thread I should follow? I don’t have strong opinions here - just looking to read/hear more info!

Remind me to let you drive some circles with my separate switches at the trailhead tomorrow.

Reactions: rasband
same. i was planning on doing front selectable, rear LSD. I just want to know if i'm in the wrong.

same. i was planning on doing front selectable, rear LSD. I just want to know if i'm in the wrong.

I'm happy with front/rear selectable lockers - the only thing I plan to change is to make them independent (since the rubicon allows either rear or front+rear on the switch). Though I am always curious what people recommend and why.

I have a lunchbox up front. Hindsight I would have put a selectable in the Dana 44 and left the Dana 30 open. With a locker in the Dana 44 you don't really create any weak spots and can push up over obstacles. With a locker in the Dana 30 your u-joints are really worked almost twice as much all the time you are in 4wd and you put allot of stress on the steering in general. I know the auto locker sounds great up front and for really difficult stuff I'm sure it is but there is a cost having it on all the time no matter how well behaved it is and for me it has become a headache. I'd swap to a rear selectable and open front in a heartbeat if it wasn't so expensive.

If I were adding lockers, I would want either both ends selectable or an auto front/selectable rear.
I have a lunchbox up front. Hindsight I would have put a selectable in the Dana 44 and left the Dana 30 open. With a locker in the Dana 44 you don't really create any weak spots and can push up over obstacles. With a locker in the Dana 30 your u-joints are really worked almost twice as much all the time you are in 4wd and you put allot of stress on the steering in general. I know the auto locker sounds great up front and for really difficult stuff I'm sure it is but there is a cost having it on all the time no matter how well behaved it is and for me it has become a headache. I'd swap to a rear selectable and open front in a heartbeat if it wasn't so expensive.
This is good info, i'll have to think on it more. Its not happening anytime soon. I already have the factory lsd in the rear so i was thinking about selectable up front at the same time i have the gears done. Maybe it would be better to just have the trakloc swaped for a selectable and call it good at that. I don't do "really" difficult stuff.

Reactions: JMT
@Vasq , I agree with @pagrey that a locker in a Dana 30 creates more stress in the axle shaft collars. After wheelin mine in OEM shafts for 1.5 years I broke the collar on the passenger side. You should upgrade to 4340 chromoly’s if you put any locker up front.

Reactions: Vasq
@Vasq , I agree with @pagrey that a locker in a Dana 30 creates more stress in the axle shaft collars. After wheelin mine in OEM shafts for 1.5 years I broke the collar on the passenger side. You should upgrade to 4340 chromoly’s if you put any locker up front.
Oh definitely. I wasn't planning on having any lockers with stock shafts.

Reactions: JMT
Ive had a savvy UAM on backorder for about 3 or 4 weeks. I was curious if there is a more compact muffler that people are running with success when combined with the savvy system?

My current stock exhaust is just about rusted through so i figured now would be a good time to put something else in. Im more worried about compact size, not neccessarily sound but if i had a choice quieter is better.