The Official Tummy Tuck FAQ Thread

I know, none of them are bolt on and go.

And admittedly, this is why I've avoided a tummy tuck for so long. Part of me wants to do it, but then I realize I don't crawl in the rocks like Jerry and Blaine do, so in all reality it's probably not necessary. But god, the transfer cases on these Rubicon models hang SO low!

Same exact thing with me. In fact, I started buying the (more affordable) parts many years ago, but stopped. I haven't NEEDED it at all. That Rubicon skid though. My god, man. If I remember correctly, I only have 8 inches of ground clearance.

I feel like there's got to be a family sedan somewhere out there with that level of clearance. 😆

Same exact thing with me. In fact, I started buying the (more affordable) parts many years ago, but stopped. I haven't NEEDED it at all. That Rubicon skid though. My god, man. If I remember correctly, I only have 8 inches of ground clearance.

I feel like there's got to be a family sedan somewhere out there with that level of clearance. 😆

Yes, that factory Rubicon skid is a joke how low it hangs. They fixed this with the JKs of course, but on the TJs I feel like it was an area where they rushed it to save money, which is probably true to some degree or another.

Reactions: bedhed
I agree. I feel like that rushing may have trickled down from that of the OPDA design as well. But, that's a subject for another thread and time.😆😒

So I think I’m at a crossroad.
Some background. I have a 2005 LJ Rubicon. I did a OME 2.5 “ SL. 1.25 BL, 1” Brown Dog motor lift, 33” Duratracks. I just picked up a squeak in my ujoint, the one just in front of the transfer case.
Should I jump into a TT now or just replace the u-joints on the front drive shaft or do all the u-joints on both drive shafts? I don’t really have the time to do the full TT now, but I also don’t want to toss out new u-joints when I eventually do the TT.
Any recommendations? All new u-joints, just new ones for the front, just the squeaky one, or a full TT conversion now?

If it was me and if I expect to do a TT in the relatively near future just not now, I would replace any bad U Joints to prevent additional damage now.

Bad U Joints can destroy yokes, stub shaft ears, inner shaft ears, driveshaft ears, etc.

If you know you have U Joint issues, and you don't want to destroy related parts or have a catastrophic failure, I strongly recommend you inspect all U Joints and replace any that show signs of wear.

Ive finally decided what I will be doing after changing my mind 1000+times on what I want to do with the build plan. I will be doing a near full tuck with jb conversions HD SS Sye w/1310 cv yoke, custom driveshaft by a local shop, ucf ultra high clearance aluminum skid, Savvy/currie rear double adjustable uppers/lowers(all 8 later on). I currently have the jks 1" MML installed along with a savvy 1.25 BL. I am sure I will need to do some exhaust work, but will I have to cut the tub at all? How is the process of doing that?

Ive finally decided what I will be doing after changing my mind 1000+times on what I want to do with the build plan. I will be doing a near full tuck with jb conversions HD SS Sye w/1310 cv yoke, custom driveshaft by a local shop, ucf ultra high clearance aluminum skid, Savvy/currie rear double adjustable uppers/lowers(all 8 later on). I currently have the jks 1" MML installed along with a savvy 1.25 BL. I am sure I will need to do some exhaust work, but will I have to cut the tub at all? How is the process of doing that?

No, you shouldn’t need to cut the tub at all. Howeveryou may need to dent it a little around where the transfer case is. I put a crow bar between my TC and tub and jacked it up to dent.

Reactions: ejay and D M
No, you shouldn’t need to cut the tub at all. However you may need to dent it a little around where the transfer case is. I put a crow bar between my TC and tub and jacked it up to dent.
dent it up into the jeep or dent it down towards the ground. Also what would need to be done if I were cutting the tub

I don’t think you’ll have to do any denting or cutting. Mine with the Savvy TT has 0 dents and 0 cuts. I think only rubicons need the extra clearance because of the 241 T-case.

Reactions: rasband and D M
I don’t think you’ll have to do any denting or cutting. Mine with the Savvy TT has 0 dents and 0 cuts. I think only rubicons need the extra clearance because of the 241 T-case.

The JKS body won't help things as much as a real body lift would.

Same results for my install, no cutting and no denting needed

Why do you want to cut your tub so bad?
Sorry, let me rephrase that. I meant to ask, what would someone be doing for them to need to cut the tub. I dont want to cut mine, im just curious what someone would be doing that needs theirs to be cut

The JKS body won't help things as much as a real body lift would.
I got the savvy 1.25 body lift and the JKS 1" motor mount lift, I was sure not to go with polyurethane for the body lift

Reactions: jjvw
Sorry, let me rephrase that. I meant to ask, what would someone be doing for them to need to cut the tub. I dont want to cut mine, im just curious what someone would be doing that needs theirs to be cut

If you ever need to, you’ll know. The common cases are for stretches, massive tires (>35”), or forcing a big tire into a build that isn’t lifted enough for said tire. I’m sure MrBlaine would be aware of more reasons...

Cutting the body shouldn't start to become a solution to a problem until 35s. Even then, you have to get pretty deep into a build to find good reasons to do so.

Reactions: rasband and D M
Cutting the body shouldn't start to become a solution to a problem until 35s. Even then, you have to get pretty deep into a build to find good reasons to do so.
if I did plan on going 35s one day, why does that need the tub cut for a tt?