The Official Tummy Tuck FAQ Thread

That's a lot of clearance. I'm in love with the idea. It's a bit pricey though.

I think for a rig with "small" tires and SL (31" and 2.5" SL), this would be highly beneficial. Similar to 5" lift at least in the middle of the vehicle.

Although, I just installed new 31s, so it may look a little bit funny with 2.5" SL + 1.25 BL. 33s are not in the near future (Maybe in a few years).

I am going to build a custom skid and crossmember when the time comes, since product availability is awful over here. Especially on this topic. I doubt if anyone over here even knows what a TT is.

Lockers is another mod I want to, so I'm kinda between which to do first. TT or one selectable locker.
It will look different, but not funny, just a slimmed down TJ. They look amazing. The way they should have come from factory.
@ErikOffroad did a totally flat custom skid. This is mine.
40E70535-4045-4BDC-8EB7-713A3D52D250.jpeg

Lockers and TT are both great mods. Lockers will get you anywhere. TT will get you over anything. The Jeep will tell you what it needs first!

It will look different, but not funny, just a slimmed down TJ. They look amazing. The way they should have come from factory.
@ErikOffroad did a totally flat custom skid. This is mine.View attachment 249835
Lockers and TT are both great mods. Lockers will get you anywhere. TT will get you over anything. The Jeep will tell you what it needs first!
This is 31" tires, 2.5" SL, 1.25 BL?
Do you have any similar photos of 31" tires, 2.5' SL, no BL?

This is 31" tires, 2.5" SL, 1.25 BL?
Do you have any similar photos of 31" tires, 2.5' SL, no BL?
No. That’s 33’s. Just posting pic for belly.

If you want to get as flat as possible, you’ll need a BL. I think UCF (assuming they ship to Greece) has options that may let you not do a BL on their 2nd highest clearance skid.
I am not negative about a possible BL. Most likely I'm going to build a custom skid.
I just don't know if BL would be great for now for a setup of 31" tires + 2.5" SL.

I am not negative about a possible BL. Most likely I'm going to build a custom skid.
I just don't know if BL would be great for now for a setup of 31" tires + 2.5" SL.
I would stick with 31” + 2.5” and do a 1.25” BL + 1” MML just before I did a TT

Reactions: rasband
I would stick with 31” + 2.5” and do a 1.25” BL + 1” MML just before I did a TT
Thanks for the replies. It JUST came into my consideration that I must address an other issue first. I might have to change my new Rancho Shocks that I installed less than a month ago. They seem to be short. But that's an issue for a different thread. I don't want to hijack this one

Lockers is another mod I want to, so I'm kinda between which to do first.
Lockers are simpler and you'll actually feel the performance improvement when you need them. TT might be more affordable but will likely be time and labour intensive. I'd do the lockers first, it takes a while but the difference is noght and day between locked, unlocked. I love min and, use them often to tread lightly. Zero wheel spin climbing an embankment means leaving no trace.

Reactions: Ephry73 and TJim
That's a lot of clearance. I'm in love with the idea. It's a bit pricey though.

I think for a rig with "small" tires and SL (31" and 2.5" SL), this would be highly beneficial. Similar to 5" lift at least in the middle of the vehicle.

Although, I just installed new 31s, so it may look a little bit funny with 2.5" SL + 1.25 BL. 33s are not in the near future (Maybe in a few years).

I am going to build a custom skid and crossmember when the time comes, since product availability is awful over here. Especially on this topic. I doubt if anyone over here even knows what a TT is.

Lockers is another mod I want to, so I'm kinda between which to do first. TT or one selectable locker.
I hear you big time regarding the knowledge around the TJ in general in Greece. I leave in Athens too btw, in Voula.

Currently I have installed a teraflex TT (about 2.25” additional clearance over stock) along with a SYE, rear DC driveshaft and adjustable upper rear control arms.

No issues with driveline vibrations but I have an issue with the TC hitting the tub (if driven over speed bumps for example). I have ordered and await to be shipped here, the Rokmen 0.5” body lift (as suggested here) and since the Jeep is drivable as is, I hope that 0.5” will be enough to resolve contact completely.

In the meantime though, I will post pics here of the TT as it stands now. The is that I have temporarily added 0.75” spacers to drop down the TC skid plate to avoid contact of the TC with the tub, until I install the BL.

I will revert with more (pics and comments) once the BL has been installed.

I don’t post a lot but this forum is a knowledge treasure for us in Greece!

Last edited:
Reactions: Ephry73 and Vasq
I hear you big time regarding the knowledge around the TJ in general in Greece. I leave in Athens too btw, in Voula.

Currently I have installed a teraflex TT (about 2.25” additional clearance over stock). I have installed a SYE and rear DC driveshaft along with adjustable upper rear control arms.

No issues with driveline vibrations but I have an issue with the TC hitting the tub (if driven over speed bumps for example). I have ordered and await to be shipped here, the Rokmen 0.5” body lift (as suggested here) and since the Jeep is drivable as is, I hope that 0.5” will be enough to resolve it completely.

In the meantime though, I will post pics here of the TT as it stands now. The is though that I have added 0.75” spacers to drop down the TC skid plate to avoid contact of the TC with the tub, until I install the BL.

I will revert with more (pics and comments) once the BL has been installed.

I don’t post a lot but this forum is a knowledge treasure for us in Greece!
AT LAST! A Fellow Greek! haha

Did you install a TT without a BL? I am some steps behind, since I haven't installed any of the SYE, rear driveshaft, or adjustable upper rear control arms.

It is indeed a knowledge treasure for us in Greece!

Post some pictures when you can! I will be waiting

Reactions: Ephry73
AT LAST! A Fellow Greek! haha

Did you install a TT without a BL? I am some steps behind, since I haven't installed any of the SYE, rear driveshaft, or adjustable upper rear control arms.

It is indeed a knowledge treasure for us in Greece!

Post some pictures when you can! I will be waiting
I will revert tomorrow with pics of my TT as it stands now (with the spacers).

As you may already know, I have had spend a lot of time and $$ at the "jeep shops/garages" around here without usually getting the promised result...

I will revert tomorrow with pics of my TT as it stands now (with the spacers).

As you may already know, I have had spend a lot of time and $$ at the "jeep shops/garages" around here without usually getting the promised result...
I am trying to do most of the work I can on my own, since I don't really trust anyone. haha

This might change when it is time for lockers/regear

I am trying to do most of the work I can on my own, since I don't really trust anyone. haha
I've done some things myself as well, but it's not always easy.

After (hopefully soon) I solve the TT issue and another issue I have with occasional long crank lockers are next in my pipeline as well.

Reactions: TJim
@TJim I’m posting a pic of how the TC skid looks like now (with the current 0.75” spacers).
Although obviously it’s not meant to be like this, clearance gain is apparent compared to stock.

2334E5C1-2F30-4CDE-84B4-E6DA7596A44C.jpeg

Reactions: TJim
Great write-up Chris. I cannot state how valuable this is for people who are new to TJ's (I've owned several other Jeeps, but never a TJ). Thanks for taking the time to share.

According to Tom Wood's site, you only need to replace the rear driveshaft on a Rubicon. Is there any reason you would recommend upgrading the front driveshaft?

In order to avoid the issue with the rear track bar hitting the fuel tank skid, I'm looking at either UCF (extra-clearance) or Rokmen for the transfer skid. Any thoughts on which one is better, or are they about the same? Also your thoughts on the thickness of the skid plate. UCF offers both 3/16" and 1/4". I think Rokmen is only 1/4".

One last question, since you wrote this in 2015 are there any product recommendations you would change or add?

Great write-up Chris. I cannot state how valuable this is for people who are new to TJ's (I've owned several other Jeeps, but never a TJ). Thanks for taking the time to share.

According to Tom Wood's site, you only need to replace the rear driveshaft on a Rubicon. Is there any reason you would recommend upgrading the front driveshaft?

In order to avoid the issue with the rear track bar hitting the fuel tank skid, I'm looking at either UCF (extra-clearance) or Rokmen for the transfer skid. Any thoughts on which one is better, or are they about the same? Also your thoughts on the thickness of the skid plate. UCF offers both 3/16" and 1/4". I think Rokmen is only 1/4".

One last question, since you wrote this in 2015 are there any product recommendations you would change or add?
UCF, made in USA, Romken Chinesium...

There’s no need to replace the front driveshaft unless it’s giving you issues, which in most cases it shouldn’t.

The only belly-up skid I personally care for is the Savvy unit. I had the Rokmen skid and it’s heavy as hell which is entirely unnecessary. The Savvy skid is aluminum which is a much better choice. If I couldn’t get the Savvy I would get the UCF extra clearance skid and get the thicker option.

Do some research on the Savvy skid. Blaine designed it and once you see it in person you’ll realize why it really is the best designed skid plate on the market, and I truly mean that.