TJ Shock & Spring Specification Resource Thread

Here are all the Black Max shocks I was able to find as a fit for the TJ/LJ. FYI, there were some minor discrepancies, so all the numbers I pulled are from the "Specs and Kit Notes" tab. Also, the advertised lift heights don't seem correct, so it's best to cycle the suspension and measure. FWIW, I found their shock length numbers were true, at least on the B8525 and B8518 shocks I purchased.

Front Shocks

B8516
(Front With 0 – 3 in. Lift)
  • 22.3 in. Extended
  • 13.52 in. Collapsed
  • 8.78 in. Travel

B8525 (Front With 4 – 6 in. Lift)
  • 24.30 in. Extended
  • 14.52 in. Collapsed
  • 9.78 in. Travel

B8549 (Front With 6 – 9 in. Lift)
  • 28.75 in. Extended
  • 16.56 in. Collapsed
  • 12.19 in. Travel

Rear Shocks

B8508
(Rear With 0 in. Lift)
  • 19.07 in. Extended
  • 12.07 in. Collapsed
  • 7.0 in. Travel

B8518 (Rear With 1 - 3 in. Lift)
  • 22.71 in. Extended
  • 13.93 in. Collapsed
  • 8.78 in. Travel

B8528 (Rear With 3.5 – 4 in. Lift)
  • 24.84 in. Extended
  • 14.82 in. Collapsed
  • 10.02 in. Travel

B8563 (Rear With 6 – 8 in. Lift)
  • 27.33 in. Extended
  • 16.05 in. Collapsed
  • 11.28 in. Travel

great summary!

I hate that they spread them out so far. Nobody is reworking their TJ suspension enough for a 12" front and 11.28" rear and then putting a $50 Skyjacker shock on it. It'd be much better if the 8549 was about an inch shorter.

Rancho is the only brand that makes shocks for both ends of my rig. :(

1627596480329.png

Last edited:
Great resource here. I'm looking for this Rancho rear shock, but it appears to only be available with stud and t-bar mount combo (front style). Maybe it's a mistake for this part number to be listed under "rear" in the chart?
Or is there a rear version available?

RanchoRear.JPG

RanchoPic.JPG

Last edited:
Great resource here. I'm looking for this Rancho rear shock, but it appears to only be available with stud and t-bar mount combo (front style). Maybe it's a mistake for this part number to be listed under "rear" in the chart?
Or is there a rear version available?

View attachment 274123

View attachment 274124
The RS55239 is the front shock. The rear is RS55241.

The RS55239 is the front shock. The rear is RS55241.

That rear one you listed would give me about 5" up, 3" down. Hmmm.
My other option would be about 4.25" up, 5.4" down (I would need to install a half inch spacer for the rear)

@Chris You might wanna edit the chart for rear shocks to remove that "Rancho RS55239 (rear)." It's on the rear list, but it's a front shock (also listed on the fronts chart).

Reactions: Chris
That rear one you listed would give me about 5" up, 3" down. Hmmm.
My other option would be about 4.25" up, 5.4" down (I would need to install a half inch spacer for the rear)

@Chris You might wanna edit the chart for rear shocks to remove that "Rancho RS55239 (rear)." It's on the rear list, but it's a front shock (also listed on the fronts chart).

Thanks, I took care of it!

I am about to buy new springs and shocks, but before doing so want to fill a glaring gap in my knowledge re shock selection.

IIUC I frequently read discussion of shock travel and the ideal being the same up and down travel. But, to be completely honest I am not really sure what is meant by this. Assuming I install my new springs and set the bump stops at a length to just stop the tyre crashing into the wheel arch (is that bit correct?) then the amount of compression in the shock should be greater than the available compression in the spring, other wise the shock will be the limiting factor. Correct? If I test what happens to the passenger side of the axle when the driver side side is compressed to the point it is stopped going further by the bump stop that will tell me how much extension there will be in my shock. Still OK? I can check if the shock will be long enough for my set up in advance based on the expected amount of lift from the longer springs, but other than this what am I trying to achieve to get the shock to have the same up and down travel?

Sorry if I am totally confused, but I don't want to order the wrong parts and want to make sure I have a decent chance of my set up working before buying.

Thanks.

Reactions: NOTNSUV
I am about to buy new springs and shocks, but before doing so want to fill a glaring gap in my knowledge re shock selection.

IIUC I frequently read discussion of shock travel and the ideal being the same up and down travel. But, to be completely honest I am not really sure what is meant by this. Assuming I install my new springs and set the bump stops at a length to just stop the tyre crashing into the wheel arch (is that bit correct?) then the amount of compression in the shock should be greater than the available compression in the spring, other wise the shock will be the limiting factor. Correct? If I test what happens to the passenger side of the axle when the driver side side is compressed to the point it is stopped going further by the bump stop that will tell me how much extension there will be in my shock. Still OK? I can check if the shock will be long enough for my set up in advance based on the expected amount of lift from the longer springs, but other than this what am I trying to achieve to get the shock to have the same up and down travel?

Sorry if I am totally confused, but I don't want to order the wrong parts and want to make sure I have a decent chance of my set up working before buying.

Thanks.

You’re on the right track. I just did this yesterday. This will be a long post, but I can offer my experience. Best thing to do is carefully cycle the suspension up/down with the shocks and springs removed. This can be done using floor jacks and jack stands. You’ll want to determine the limit of up travel and the limit of down travel. Be careful not to over extend your brake lines in the front. Be careful not to damage your rear driveshaft if it binds during droop (go slow and check things).

This testing also allowed me to see when the coils would fall out during droop, and measure what coil length that was happening at. If you’re not already using the coils you want, just measure the distance from coil bucket to coil bucket once you’ve determined full droop. That will give you an idea of how long your new coil needs to be without falling out at full droop.

The up travel will usually be limited by your shocks’ compressed length (unless you have huge tires on a small lift or something, in which case the tires might touch the fenders first).

Determine the limit of up travel by cycling the axle up, measure the distance between the lower shock mount and the upper shock mount. Write it down.

Determine the limit of down travel by cycling the axle down. Measure the distance between shock mounts. Write it down.

If you want to, you can also articulate each side of the axle up while keeping the opposite side at full droop, and retake your measurements. This would be ideal and also allow you to see when the tires would contact the fenders in that scenario.

Use these measurements to determine which shock can maximize your up and down travel. Look through the chart at the compressed and extended lengths of the shocks available.

Ideally you would have the new springs installed before making the decision on shocks. This way you can measure the length of the shocks at ride height. This is how you’ll know what shock will best fit the goal of 50/50 travel, up and down.

At ride height, measure the distance from the lower shock mount to the upper shock mount. The length of the shock at ride height minus the compressed length= available up travel (i.e. how much can the shock compress starting from ride height?)

The extended length of the shock minus the length of the shock at ride height = available down travel (i.e. how much can the shock extend starting from ride height)

You want those as close to equal up/down as possible, with a slight bias towards more up travel if given multiple options. It will ride better that way.

If you don’t know exactly what your ride height will be with the new springs vs the height of your Jeep now… you’ll have to make an educated guess. Ideally, you would have the new springs installed first so you could measure from the exact ride height. If that’s not feasible, you can still get good results if you estimate the new ride height accurately.

Bump stops: set according to whatever the limiting factor is. Most likely it will be shock compressed length.

Tips when cycling your suspension: If your Jeep has stock front lower control arms the down travel will likely be limited by these binding at full droop. If you have a stock rear driveshaft (non Rubicon, no SYE) then your droop will be limited by the driveshaft u joint binding. You can check this by visual inspection and by rotating the driveshaft by hand with transmission in neutral. BE CAREFUL going under the Jeep while it’s raised high in the air on jack stands. Make sure the tires on the ground are chocked. I also like to put a large wheel/tire under the vehicle as a backup if possible, in case it falls for any reason. Safety is #1. I have to say it (for anyone reading this). In the rear your e brake cables and the stock lower control arms would likely be the next things to start binding during droop. The rear panhard bar (trac bar) might contact the exhaust pipe. I do not know if the stock rear sway bar end-links will limit droop before these other things happen. Mine are not stock.

Hope this helps. It’s difficult to explain without visual aid, but not terribly difficult to execute.

Last edited:
You’re on the right track. I just did this yesterday. This will be a long post, but I can offer my experience. Best thing to do is carefully cycle the suspension up/down with the shocks and springs removed. This can be done using floor jacks and jack stands. You’ll want to determine the limit of up travel and the limit of down travel. Be careful not to over extend your brake lines in the front. Be careful not to damage your rear driveshaft if it binds during droop (go slow and check things).

This testing also allowed me to see when the coils would fall out during droop, and measure what coil length that was happening at. If you’re not already using the coils you want, just measure the distance from coil bucket to coil bucket once you’ve determined full droop. That will give you an idea of how long your new coil needs to be without falling out at full droop.

The up travel will usually be limited by your shocks’ compressed length (unless you have huge tires on a small lift or something, in which case the tires might touch the fenders first).

Determine the limit of up travel by cycling the axle up, measure the distance between the lower shock mount and the upper shock mount. Write it down.

Determine the limit of down travel by cycling the axle down. Measure the distance between shock mounts. Write it down.

If you want to, you can also articulate each side of the axle up while keeping the opposite side at full droop, and retake your measurements. This would be ideal and also allow you to see when the tires would contact the fenders in that scenario.

Use these measurements to determine which shock can maximize your up and down travel. Look through the chart at the compressed and extended lengths of the shocks available.

Ideally you would have the new springs installed before making the decision on shocks. This way you can measure the length of the shocks at ride height. This is how you’ll know what shock will best fit the goal of 50/50 travel, up and down.

At ride height, measure the distance from the lower shock mount to the upper shock mount. The length of the shock at ride height minus the compressed length= available up travel (i.e. how much can the shock compress starting from ride height?)

The extended length of the shock minus the length of the shock at ride height = available down travel (i.e. how much can the shock extend starting from ride height)

You want those as close to equal up/down as possible, with a slight bias towards more up travel if given multiple options. It will ride better that way.

If you don’t know exactly what your ride height will be with the new springs vs the height of your Jeep now… you’ll have to make an educated guess. Ideally, you would have the new springs installed first so you could measure from the exact ride height. If that’s not feasible, you can still get good results if you estimate the new ride height accurately.

Bump stops: set according to whatever the limiting factor is. Most likely it will be shock compressed length.

Tips when cycling your suspension: If your Jeep has stock front lower control arms the down travel will likely be limited by these binding at full droop. If you have a stock rear driveshaft (non Rubicon, no SYE) then your droop will be limited by the driveshaft u joint binding. You can check this by visual inspection and by rotating the driveshaft by hand with transmission in neutral. BE CAREFUL going under the Jeep while it’s raised high in the air on jack stands. Make sure the tires on the ground are chocked. I also like to put a large wheel/tire under the vehicle as a backup if possible, in case it falls for any reason. Safety is #1. I have to say it (for anyone reading this). In the rear your e brake cables and the stock lower control arms would likely be the next things to start binding during droop. The rear panhard bar (trac bar) might contact the exhaust pipe. I do not know if the stock rear sway bar end-links will limit droop before these other things happen. Mine are not stock.

Hope this helps. It’s difficult to explain without visual aid, but not terribly difficult to execute.
That is a really helpful reply, thank you for taking the time to write it up.

Unfortunately I think mine will be a rather theoretical exercise as I don't have any of the key component, coils, shocks or tires. If I order the shocks from the US it is pretty much not an option to return them, the flip side is that the options for shocks are more limited if I buy them in the UK. Thank you again for a really helpful post I will no doubt be referring back to in the coming days and weeks!

Reactions: Tim_with_the_tj
Thinking through how best to use this information. Take the Currie 3" front spring for example:

Free length: 20.25
Solid: 7

IIUC, that mean this spring has 13.25" of "potential travel" before the coil unseats.

Obviously theoretical, but would you need a shock with say, 13.5" of total travel length to take advantage of all of that potential spring travel? I'm intentionally limiting the example to springs and shocks but i realize there are other factors that will limit travel. Tire clearance in the fenders will cut into the potential travel of the spring in the form of bumps. Since most of the listed shocks have travel lengths much less than that, I'm going to assume it would be difficult with factory mounting positions to take advantage of the spring's full travel potential.

If this is coherent enough to have a question... I guess I'm asking if this data can be overlaid and used in such a way to give a rough starting point for spring/shock pairings.

I'm guessing no, not really. There are simply too many variables. The best approach is get the longest, lightest springs for your desired/needed lift height and tire size, cycle the suspension for bumps and measure for shocks. Then come back here and reference the shock lengths to get as close as possible to your measurements.

Since most of the listed shocks have travel lengths much less than that, I'm going to assume it would be difficult with factory mounting positions to take advantage of the spring's full travel potential.

that's the key. Factory mounts pretty much limit you to around 10-11" of travel at what most consider reasonable lift heights (IMO 4" is as high as it should ever go, and even that is at the very edge of what shortarm geometry and the TJ's hilariously short rear driveshaft works with). Even those running relocated mounts don't end up much past 12" as far as I'm aware. When I hear about 13-14" travels it's usually in the same conversation with coilovers and custom links.

Most people just pick a target tire size, a lift height that is known to clear those tires, and then select the shock that best distributes travel on either side of the ride height. I suppose if you wanted to, you could pick a shock with the travel you wanted, put your ride height roughly in the middle of that travel to determine lift height, and then run the biggest tires that would articulate without running into stuff, but I'm not sure you'd end up with anything significantly different than the typical recipe that results from coming at it from the traditional direction if you put any consideration into staying within the appropriate ranges of shortarms and driveshafts.

Part of what we are doing when we outboard our shocks is to put the shock travel and the spring travel more closely in phase with each other. That is a reason why 11" front and 12" rear becomes the reasonable limit. It becomes difficult to find enough spring travel to support the shock. On stock width axles and 35"+tires, that also happens to coincide with the body and frame really getting in the way of things. I put 12s up front on mine and making it all fit and work was really really difficult to do. 11s would have been so much easier.

Reactions: NOTNSUV and PRNDL
that's the key. Factory mounts pretty much limit you to around 10-11" of travel at what most consider reasonable lift heights (IMO 4" is as high as it should ever go, and even that is at the very edge of what shortarm geometry and the TJ's hilariously short rear driveshaft works with). Even those running relocated mounts don't end up much past 12" as far as I'm aware. When I hear about 13-14" travels it's usually in the same conversation with coilovers and custom links.

Most people just pick a target tire size, a lift height that is known to clear those tires, and then select the shock that best distributes travel on either side of the ride height. I suppose if you wanted to, you could pick a shock with the travel you wanted, put your ride height roughly in the middle of that travel to determine lift height, and then run the biggest tires that would articulate without running into stuff, but I'm not sure you'd end up with anything significantly different than the typical recipe that results from coming at it from the traditional direction if you put any consideration into staying within the appropriate ranges of shortarms and driveshafts.
That’s got to be the best description of how to approach a tire/lift/shock build I’ve read.
Or, at least it makes the most sense to me to start with tire size, then lift for tires, then shocks to fit lift.

That’s got to be the best description of how to approach a tire/lift/shock build I’ve read.
Or, at least it makes the most sense to me to start with tire size, then lift for tires, then shocks to fit lift.
Agreed. These discussions and many, many other sources on this forum are why I'm here. (y)

Reactions: Modoc Guy
Anyone have any experience with the Fox 985-26-108 and 985-26-112 (2.0 performance series, reservoir with damping adjuster) for a 3" lift

+1 for this (could make a seperate thread to keep this clean) . I have the same shocks with a current 4" teraflex coils (stock bumper, hardtop, no spare, no rear seat but have a smittybilt csrgo box).

Was debating jks 3" (goal is 3). Im hoping this puts me in the modrsnge of the fox travel and will improve the ride

Looks like the rear procomps in the @CodaMan 2.5 in lift kit are sold out everywhere.
Would these be a good substitute https://www.quadratec.com/products/16090_4XX_A_PG.htm. Old Man Emu Part #: 2942
and any reason to not mix and match Rear OME and Front Procomp
I'm also considering the BDS 2" springs. Some older posts here will tell you that with the BDS 2" springs, the rake is pretty significant. They recommend 3" front/2" rear combo gives you a more level stance. Considering they are fairly inexpensive (on par with the pro comps) they are appealing.

https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/coil-springs/034206-bds-suspension-2in-rear-coil-kit

I'm also considering the BDS 2" springs. Some older posts here will tell you that with the BDS 2" springs, the rake is pretty significant. They recommend 3" front/2" rear combo gives you a more level stance. Considering they are fairly inexpensive (on par with the pro comps) they are appealing.

https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/coil-springs/034206-bds-suspension-2in-rear-coil-kit
interesting.... 3in front and 2in rear, I'm assuming would do away with the need for the front spacers in the 2.5 guide?

interesting.... 3in front and 2in rear, I'm assuming would do away with the need for the front spacers in the 2.5 guide?
Yeah, thats my understanding. You could buy the full 2" set, and get the 3"s if needed and still spend less than the full set of OME springs and possibly return the 2" fronts. I love and hate that there are infinite combinations for this stuff.

Reactions: PRNDL