Trailering your Jeep

I haven’t towed this before, this will be my first time. I just assumed there may be some body roll. I’m leaving later this week and I just wanted to figure out how I was going to tie it down for the trip.

Don’t connect anything to the frame or body. Just tie off to the axles and you will be fine. Good luck on the trip.

Right, the Jeep is ratcheted down tight by the axles and then additional straps are attached at the anchor points of the bumpers pulling down slightly to reduce too much body roll. I intend on allowing the Jeeps suspension to mostly work for absorbing bumps in the roads.

It doesn't seem like you're looking for feedback, so please ignore this. But for the rest of the class...

You're going to be applying shock loads to the straps to the frame/body. That's not good.

Regarding your ratchet tails. Tie them up nicely so you can quickly and easily audit the straps at each stop without trying to figure out what's what.

Since you've never towed before, know that you should check your ratchets in a few miles so don't tie up the tails in a way that'll make that difficult or you'll probably skip checking.

Don't use ratchets with open hooks. If the trailer flexes or the Jeep suspension moves, a strap will unhook.

As @NashvilleTJ said, 4 straps are enough.

Are those 2" straps? They look thin...

I had some double ratchet basket straps made for me by auto hauler supply here in Dallas, Texas. They operate in other states as well, I believe they originated in Oregon, they make badass stuff. Super informative and knowledgeable folks. Check them out, much better than ordering some straps and tie downs from amazon.

Autohaulersupply.com

1706EEE6-9F0D-4D35-8BD7-FECFD93A902A.jpeg

5A5C6D84-E3F8-4CEC-84DD-CB7E2B210B1C.jpeg

It doesn't seem like you're looking for feedback, so please ignore this. But for the rest of the class...

You're going to be applying shock loads to the straps to the frame/body. That's not good.

Regarding your ratchet tails. Tie them up nicely so you can quickly and easily audit the straps at each stop without trying to figure out what's what.

Since you've never towed before, know that you should check your ratchets in a few miles so don't tie up the tails in a way that'll make that difficult or you'll probably skip checking.

Don't use ratchets with open hooks. If the trailer flexes or the Jeep suspension moves, a strap will unhook.

As @NashvilleTJ said, 4 straps are enough.

Are those 2" straps? They look thin...

I'm unsure what I said to give the impression that I'm not open to feedback, as I'm always open to input and opinions. I'll remove the straps from the recovery points and see how she rides. I have towed several motorcycles and a few small cars and never pulled the Jeep.

I've strapped motorcycles on handlebars or near the triple tree, without pulling down on the forks, but more outwards. I've heard stories and seen the results of strapping a bike down without allowing the suspension to work.

For the small cars, I have always strapped down by the tires using something similar to @LJtheunicorn pictures above.

Neither of those gave me any concern about body roll. But if you guys tell me body roll isn't an issue, I'm listening and appreciate the feedback. The straps are 2" straps. I have older straps that are also 2" and are much thicker and feel more substantial. These are new because I figured my old ones might be getting to the end of their service life, but the new ones don't inspire confidence.

Side note of my musings... Since getting my Jeep, I've heard quite a bit that Jeepers are the nicest people. And it seems that in person, that has been mostly true. But I have been lurking for a bit on here, and some people here are just assholes. There isn't any other way to put it. I do not think of myself as someone with thin skin, as I have been around long enough to deal with folks who are just inconsiderate or ignorant. Still, there is a difference between genuinely unaware people and those who are condescending or rude just because they do not face immediate consequences for their actions (i.e., keyboard warriors). Whatever community you are in, I think there will always be assholes.

Reactions: SvtLdr
I'm unsure what I said to give the impression that I'm not open to feedback, as I'm always open to input and opinions. I'll remove the straps from the recovery points and see how she rides. I have towed several motorcycles and a few small cars and never pulled the Jeep.

I've strapped motorcycles on handlebars or near the triple tree, without pulling down on the forks, but more outwards. I've heard stories and seen the results of strapping a bike down without allowing the suspension to work.

For the small cars, I have always strapped down by the tires using something similar to @LJtheunicorn pictures above.

Neither of those gave me any concern about body roll. But if you guys tell me body roll isn't an issue, I'm listening and appreciate the feedback. The straps are 2" straps. I have older straps that are also 2" and are much thicker and feel more substantial. These are new because I figured my old ones might be getting to the end of their service life, but the new ones don't inspire confidence.

Side note of my musings... Since getting my Jeep, I've heard quite a bit that Jeepers are the nicest people. And it seems that in person, that has been mostly true. But I have been lurking for a bit on here, and some people here are just assholes. There isn't any other way to put it. I do not think of myself as someone with thin skin, as I have been around long enough to deal with folks who are just inconsiderate or ignorant. Still, there is a difference between genuinely unaware people and those who are condescending or rude just because they do not face immediate consequences for their actions (i.e., keyboard warriors). Whatever community you are in, I think there will always be assholes.

You should get some hooks like this where they can't come unhooked.

1659964751498.png

I’ve towed somewhere around 11,000 miles over the last two years. I’ve never noticed any issues with body roll on my Jeep.

Not to overstate it but, if you don't notice excessive body roll when driving your Jeep on the street, then towing it shouldn't be any different.

Good shocks are an essential component here. 👌

Reactions: Irun and Apparition

The problem you are up against trying to limit the body roll is shock loading. Even though you are limiting movement in one direction, upwards, you haven't been able to limit it downwards. When you hit a large enough event on the road surface, the weight of the rig will compress the suspension downwards and then it can slam upward into your roll control tie downs. That shock loading is bad for the straps, hooks, ratchets, and tie down points. The only way you could do that and make it work is to either suck it down to the bump stops or build something resembling jack stands for the frame to get sucked down against.

Reactions: TheRock
Nice license plate lol. How are the rear straps connected to the axle? I can't get mine that far out so I'm curious. The nice thing about the set up you have is the trailer is perfect for straight straps with the connections front and back.

I'd recommend the mac's tie down straps but that's probably to late to use for the upcoming trip. They are pricey but very well built and the length isn't crazy long like some straps. I might have a foot extra after strapping everything down. x2 on checking them again after a short distance and then again every time you stop.

The problem you are up against trying to limit the body roll is shock loading. Even though you are limiting movement in one direction, upwards, you haven't been able to limit it downwards. When you hit a large enough event on the road surface, the weight of the rig will compress the suspension downwards and then it can slam upward into your roll control tie downs. That shock loading is bad for the straps, hooks, ratchets, and tie down points. The only way you could do that and make it work is to either suck it down to the bump stops or build something resembling jack stands for the frame to get sucked down against.

Thank you Sir, your explanation makes perfect sense and I will be removing those before I head out.

Last edited:
Nice license plate lol. How are the rear straps connected to the axle? I can't get mine that far out so I'm curious. The nice thing about the set up you have is the trailer is perfect for straight straps with the connections front and back.

I'd recommend the mac's tie down straps but that's probably to late to use for the upcoming trip. They are pricey but very well built and the length isn't crazy long like some straps. I might have a foot extra after strapping everything down. x2 on checking them again after a short distance and then again every time you stop.

I'll take some close up pictures. I avoided brake lines and such, but I'd still like to make sure I don't have any concerns there that I did something that isn't going to work out.

When I got my Mac's they recommended getting longer straps because their ratchets like to be full and unlike some ratchets, they actually work.

After the constructive criticism received, I have in crossed the straps and removed the straps from the recovery points.

@rhanna see the pics for where I attached on the rear axle.

If anyone’s sees anything wrong or that I could do better, I’m all ears.

Genuine thanks again for all the constructive feedback received!

C9AFDFE3-927B-4755-93CB-88064FF6B3F2.jpeg

85D82227-B03C-4B30-A8F5-E7803670DDCD.jpeg

DAF12295-38D1-4F90-B009-03969BAE2829.jpeg

DF6876BF-A668-4B36-80E1-7F062B1500EE.jpeg

B5889EF0-4DE2-41D5-8F57-F279933BA6B0.jpeg

After the constructive criticism received, I have in crossed the straps and removed the straps from the recovery points.

@rhanna see the pics for where I attached on the rear axle.

If anyone’s sees anything wrong or that I could do better, I’m all ears.

Genuine thanks again for all the constructive
Should get some positive locking hooks and you’d be set.

Reactions: SvtLdr
Yup. Agree with @Apparition about the hooks. I was following behind his trailer and it would flex enough that a strap would go slack for a moment. If he didn't have fully latching hooks I'm sure he would lose a strap at some point.

Also, remove your drings. Those can come loose and fall off. 👍

Yup. Agree with @Apparition about the hooks. I was following behind his trailer and it would flex enough that a strap would go slack for a moment. If he didn't have fully latching hooks I'm sure he would lose a strap at some point.

Also, remove your drings. Those can come loose and fall off. 👍

Interesting, I wasn’t aware.

I wonder if it’s from the Jeep or from the aluminum trailer?