Turbo vs engine swap

I've known more than one person who did a V-8 swap and didn't upgrade the rest of the drivetrain. If you drive with your foot in the floor yep you'll break stuff. Even with the stock drivetrain you can break things. I did with the 4 popper.
good thing you didn't have an auto. Holy moses that combo is slow. Dana 35 shafts are perfectly safe,lol

good thing you didn't have an auto. Holy moses that combo is slow. Dana 35 shafts are perfectly safe,lol

I've never had the pleasure of driving a auto 4 popper.

Broke the hub & u-joint when the tire got bound up. But as they used to say about the Warn small hub kit it was a good fuse.

IMG00433[1].jpg

IMG00447[1].jpg

Reactions: Gollywomper

Broke the hub & u-joint when the tire got bound up. But as they used to say about the Warn small hub kit it was a good fuse.

View attachment 391024

View attachment 391025

This is why I like my low gearing. I feel like it eliminates those shock loads that happen when we have to push a bit hard looking for power when underpowered/undergeared.

I need to find a 98 zj………….
I need to grab a Dakota v6 or 5.2l manual trans…… lol

Last edited:
Reactions: Wildman

View attachment 391024

View attachment 391025

If I'm not mistaken those are ford ranger explorer hubs. Certainly better to break one of those than shafts and spiders.if you have a lifted ttb rig you'll wind up breaking all that stuff too eventually.

If I'm not mistaken those are ford ranger explorer hubs. Certainly better to break one of those than shafts and spiders.if you have a lifted ttb rig you'll wind up breaking all that stuff too eventually.

Yup. That reminds me I need so find a spare hub for such an occasion. Lol.

They said back then that the Warn hubs were not a Ford hub but I don't know if that was true or not. But when that hub & u-joint broke it sounded like a gun going off and shot my hub into the unknown space cause we never found it.

This is why I like my low gearing. I feel like it eliminates those shock loads that happen when we have to push a bit hard looking for power when underpowered/undergeared.

I need to find a 98 zj………….
I need to grab a Dakota v6 or 5.2l manual trans…… lol

Yes, I'm sure that the 4:1 gearing helped along with the 4.88 gears even if I had 35" tires. Pretty much where you're at with yours right now other than you have more gearing.
I had a Dana 35 rear but was running the Warn full float axles & Detroit and a lunch box locker in the front axle.

IMG00423[1].jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Rickyd
Now the one funny thing about having hubs in the rear axle was when some of the guys I worked with figured out I'd installed them and they knew what a hub was and what it did. I'd do a supply run every other week where I was on the road the whole week. So I'd come back to the warehouse on Friday and hop in my Jeep ready to head home and it wouldn't go anywhere. So I'd have to hop out and lock the hubs back in. I got to the point where I got in the habit of checking the hubs to see if they were locked in or not.

No it was still 27 spline inners & I think 30 spline 27 spline outers since it used the same small hubs that the front used. CroMo shafts of course. It was just the better option back then. Do wish Warn still made the full floater kits.

Edit: They were 27 spline both inner & outer as the Dana 35 hubs were 27 spline.

https://www.therangerstation.com/tech/warn-jeep-hubs-for-the-dana-35/

View attachment 391176

View attachment 391177

The ranger station! Man that takes me way back. I loved my 91 ranger with a duff long arm kit,deaver leaves and 4.0l swap. Could jump that truck 6ft in the air no prob(well do it enough times and the stock beams start to bend) it has over 400k on it and still running around.

• Wow
Reactions: Wildman and RINC
The ranger station! Man that takes me way back. I loved my 91 ranger with a duff long arm kit,deaver leaves and 4.0l swap. Could jump that truck 6ft in the air no prob(well do it enough times and the stock beams start to bend) it has over 400k on it and still running around.

I think of this most times when I see a ford f'in ranger. :love:

Heres a simple swap idea.might even make those grouchy old school jeepers smile seeing one in there,lol
[URL]https://www.pirate4x4.com/threads/amc-360-to-ax15-question.32327/[/URL]
Burn in motor mounts,put one of the stand alone multi point or tbi kits on that ol 304-360-401 amc v8 and off you go!

Lots of possibilities. For now I am looking to collect parts for an AX15 swap. That way I have a trans that can handle additional power. Probably will move my motor forward 1.5-2” to accommodate the longer trans.
How best to do that has not been resolved yet.

Reactions: Wildman
Lots of possibilities. For now I am looking to collect parts for an AX15 swap. That way I have a trans that can handle additional power. Probably will move my motor forward 1.5-2” to accommodate the longer trans.
How best to do that has not been resolved yet.
Aren't most v8 swaps moved forward anyway for firewall reasons? If going magnum the gc or durango front dress would be my choice for clearance

Yes they are. This Jeep most likely will not be seeing a v8.

If we want to reliably run a rig with 300HP+ we need to start a build with that in mind. If I were to go that route I would start over. As a complete drive train and axle swap to reuse my tub is silly to me at this point.

Nothing wrong with just cruising 45-55 in a jeep. The take your time attitude is relaxing and much more pleasant with top and doors off