Turbo vs engine swap

Meh, I turbocharged a 4 cylinder S10 once for less than $500. It doesn't have to be expensive. You could probably run the ax5 as long as you don't bang the gears. The torque comes in fairly smooth with a turbo.
the way torque comes in on a turbo motor really helps transmissions survive. Usually higher in the rpms and after the shift when load and boost start to build. Low rpm torque pulsing destroys transmissions

Reactions: Gollywomper
Meh, I turbocharged a 4 cylinder S10 once for less than $500. It doesn't have to be expensive. You could probably run the ax5 as long as you don't bang the gears. The torque comes in fairly smooth with a turbo.

The issue here is experience and learning curve. I’m bound to burn something up while learning.

I like the turbo idea a lot. It just seems a bit exotic as I have no experience with them other than my eco boost 3.5s. Had 2 F150s and a Transit van for work that weighs at 9k lbs. 175000 miles and it still pulls well.

This is what I keep Spinning back to.
V8 leads to Dana 60s.
Hell, maybe I should just buy a trailer and tow my shit to the trail.

Maybe cam and stroke my 2.5?
Seems to be a lot of failures around stroked jeeps Engines.

My brother settled on 35 spline axles and arb in his tj 44 rear and rcv's in the 76 ford hi pinion 44 i narrowed for him. He drives pretty easy and that combo has held up well behind his 5.2/auto and 36s

Reactions: Gollywomper
My brother settled on 35 spline axles and arb in his tj 44 rear and rcv's in the 76 ford hi pinion 44 i narrowed for him. He drives pretty easy and that combo has held up well behind his 5.2/auto and 36s

Wheel speed tends to increase with more HP. When you suddenly bind those wheels that energy must go somewhere. Lol

Last edited:
Most of the stroker amc failures are valvetrain related. Its hard to get quality valvetrain parts.especially when you go for aftermarket aggressive cam profiles like almost all stroker builds use. I went with a custom ground nitrided comp cam and I'm not happy with the lifter noise.

It isn't as far apart work or cost wise as is often implied.especially once you get into repairs on the motor or trans. Only real difference is gauges and which trans or adapters are used.thats a wash since he doesn't have an ax15.

I don't bring up power levels because its irrelevant in a jeep. I'm familiar with and wheeled with both ls and magnum swapped early tjs.

Honestly,neither is very appealing to me because i find loud jeeps are obnoxious.and if you don't drive like grandma then breaking pretty much everything is in your future.

Again I'll disagree on costs for each swap but I also haven't researched doing a LS swap in a few years.
Not having the AX15 doesn't matter. Any LS transmission is going to require an adapter which is added expense. And doesn't most LS engines require some sort of specialized tools for working on them? I don't care if it's a LS/Hemi/Magnum if it's got more than 100,000 miles on it I'm taking it down and at least adding new rings /bearings /gaskets.

IMO this isn't an obnoxious exhaust note and wasn't loud on the trail. This was my 5.2 & a 2.5" exhaust all the way to the rear.

Now the current exhaust on my stroker is louder but I don't have a tail pipe on it yet.

• Love
Reactions: RINC
I love this place

200.gif

I don't care if it's a LS/Hemi/Magnum if it's got more than 100,000 miles on it I'm taking it down and at least adding new rings /bearings
totally unnecessary on an LS,they last 3-400,000 miles if not abused. The 6.0l i put in my 70 k20 chevy had 260,000 miles on it. Perfect oil pressure and compression. Apon teardown everything was perfect. There was no need to do so. A friend spins his junkyard LS to 6500 rpms with only a cam,springs and rocker pivot upgrades.

They are in different league.just like the modern hemi has left both the ls and especially the magnum behind.

The multi displacement systems can be an issue. But both the hemi and ls have versions without and can be converted easily if they have it and you want more reliability and don't want 10% better fuel mileage

According to RedRock, A hemi swap with a nv3550 would net 2” longer driveline as it actually moves things a bit forward. Being my 2.5/ax5 is shorter than most other combos I would guess it would be about the same.

Well, since Ryan rubbed the lamp...

do some research on that. "Rebuilt" pcms have a terrible track record

I think our buddy wranglerfix would have something to say about that one.

I don't bring up power levels because its irrelevant in a jeep. I'm familiar with and wheeled with both ls and magnum swapped early tjs.

Depends on how you wheel. Power makes a big difference in many situations. Makes a huge difference on my rig, and in many of the places I wheel.

Honestly,neither is very appealing to me because i find loud jeeps are obnoxious.

You are entitled to your opinion, and you do you, but you can certainly build a V8 jeep which does not sound obnoxious. I've never heard that comment about my rig.

and if you don't drive like grandma then breaking pretty much everything is in your future.

Depends on how you build the rest of the Jeep. Blanket statements are rarely correct. I certainly don't wheel like a grandma, and I've certainly not broken pretty much everything.

They are in different league.just like the modern hemi has left both the ls and especially the magnum behind.

I run a built Hemi, and know a good bit about them. I love kidding back and forth with my LS buddies, but I would never say the modern Hemi has left the LS behind.

Last edited:
I run a built Hemi, and know a good bit about them. I love kidding back and forth with my LS buddies, but I would never say the modern Hemi has left the LS behind.

Ford seems to be getting left out. My bold plan is to swap in a Coyote engine into mine.

JK. Fords suck.

Well, since Ryan rubbed the lamp...

I think our buddy wranglerfix would have something to say about that one.

Depends on how you wheel. Power makes a big difference in many situations. Makes a huge difference on my rig, and in many of the places I wheel.

You are entitled to your opinion, and you do you, but you can certainly build a V8 jeep which does not sound obnoxious. I've never heard that comment about my rig.

Depends on how you build the rest of the Jeep. Blanket statements are rarely correct. I certainly don't wheel like a grandma, and I've certainly not broken pretty much everything.

yep. Blanket statements without context can be picked apart. Here is the context you missed

1)if you go to autozone,ebay,etc and get a "rebuilt" cpu good luck...
2)sure it does. But on o.p's (the subject of our discussion) or most tj's any stock v8 or even 4.0l will do. I'm leaving hp levels out of the v8 debate.and not unreasonably to head off a 5.2l low end vs LS top end discussion. ANYTHING is going to improve on a 2.5l
3)noise comfort level is subjective,but you won't fit a large enough muffler under a tj to make a v8 factory quiet.I hunt with my tj,it needs to be close to stock sound.that eliminates ALL v8 swaps.sorry,no getting around that.i would indeed find your jeep obnoxious if i had to follow it on the trail all day.nothing i can do if you don't like that
4)again refering to the o.p's jeep in particular and most tj's you WILL need to upgrade many things for the new power.not sure what you are arguing on that one?
5)the newer 6.4l hemis are a whole different animal than an ls. Factory flow numbers and power potential is awesome.don't get me wrong i love my ls motors.but i see a lot in the new hemis

I see you hopped in to try to refute most of my points.thats your prerogative. But you aren't saying anything that compels me to reevaluate my standpoint.

At the end of the day its dorks on the web giving their opinion.

Edited

Last edited:
yep. Blanket statements without context can be picked apart. Here is the context you missed

2)sure it does. But on o.p's (the subject of our discussion) or most tj's any stock v8 or even 4.0l will do. I'm leaving hp levels out of the v8 debate.and not unreasonably.
3)noise comfort level is subjective,but you won't fit a large enough muffler under a tj to make a v8 factory quiet.I hunt with my tj,it needs to be close to stock sound.that eliminates ALL v8 swaps.sorry,no getting around that.
4)again refering to the o.p's jeep in particular and most tj's you WILL need to upgrade many things for the new power.not sure what you are arguing on that one?
5)the newer 6.4l hemis are a whole different animal than an ls. Factory flow numbers and power potential is awesome.

I see you hopped in to try to refute most of my points.thats your prerogative. But you aren't saying anything that compels me to reevaluate my standpoint.

I did not miss the context - you provided no context, which was my point (in fact, you did the same thing several times in your response to me). You made several incorrect blanket statements while providing neither context nor supporting comments. You are not terribly active on the forum, and many of us don't know you from Adam, nor have any insight as to your level of expertise. But you did seem intent on arguing - particularly with Rick.

It does seem like you have some experience, but maybe work on your delivery just a bit... :)

Reactions: Rickyd

Again you experience is different than mine.

2)sure it does. But on o.p's (the subject of our discussion) or most tj's any stock v8 or even 4.0l will do. I'm leaving hp levels out of the v8 debate.and not unreasonably.

If a 4.0 will do then why do a stroker or a V-8 swap?

3)noise comfort level is subjective,but you won't fit a large enough muffler under a tj to make a v8 factory quiet.I hunt with my tj,it needs to be close to stock sound.that eliminates ALL v8 swaps.sorry,no getting around that.i would indeed find your jeep obnoxious if i had to follow it on the trail all day.nothing i can do if you don't like that

Again I disagree. My 5.2 exhaust wasn't loud or obnoxious and hardly much louder than many of the 4.0 Jeeps I wheeled with.

I've known more than one person who did a V-8 swap and didn't upgrade the rest of the drivetrain. If you drive with your foot in the floor yep you'll break stuff. Even with the stock drivetrain you can break things. I did with the 4 popper.

5)the newer 6.4l hemis are a whole different animal than an ls. Factory flow numbers and power potential is awesome.don't get me wrong i love my ls motors.but i see a lot in the new hemis

Sure the new Hemi is nice but I'm not sure it's all that.

At the end of the day its dorks on the web giving their opinion.

Yep we all are. And just like other things we're all intitled to our own opinion.

Reactions: Rickyd
I’ve followed @NashvilleTJ on the trails all day. It was such a wonderful experience that it made me buy a second LJ for a V8 build.

And no I’m not making any of that up.

I did not miss the context - you provided no context, which was my point (in fact, you did the same thing several times in your response to me). You made several incorrect blanket statements while providing neither context nor supporting comments. You are not terribly active on the forum, and many of us don't know you from Adam, nor have any insight as to your level of expertise. But you did seem intent on arguing - particularly with Rick.

It does seem like you have some experience, but maybe work on your delivery just a bit... :)

You got me there. I'm generally an azzhole and not a good speaker.🤣

I like ricks jeep,he's doing cool stuff to it. He followed a similar path to my brother.i just wouldn't pick a magnum starting clean today vs 15 years ago.

Reactions: NashvilleTJ