any of y'all doin the Moab run in April? if so, hows that play against the April fools run?
i know its a ways out but i gotta plan way in advance to ensure i got my shit together.
Certainly going to try for both, but the phools run is a definite for me.

I kinda want to try carnage though this year...

20220108_104547.jpg

nice score.

just remember the top end rating on these small machines is not for solid wire. that machine runnin copper and gas will be good for 1/8 to 5/32". and the flux core wire is what will get you into thicker materials up to about 1/4".

i'm back in the market for another, i use an Eastwood 135 for little/light stuff and the HF 175 for the thicker materials but i recently found it's not cutting off at the duty cycle and is overheating the machine. so now i'm lookin at an Eastwood 200MP or the Hobart 210.
a miller 252 would be titties and beer but they are hard to find and still fetch 1500-2k in good shape.
i like Lincoln welders they work great, but they do tend to be a tad less powerful than a Hobart or Miller of the same rating.

Reactions: tworley
nice score.

just remember the top end rating on these small machines is not for solid wire. that machine runnin copper and gas will be good for 1/8 to 5/32". and the flux core wire is what will get you into thicker materials up to about 1/4".

Good info. I'm excited to play around with it. I probably won't get to electrical upgrades in the garage for a couple more months. Hoping in the meantime to grab gas, a regulator, and cart.

Good info. I'm excited to play around with it. I probably won't get to electrical upgrades in the garage for a couple more months. Hoping in the meantime to grab gas, a regulator, and cart.
nothin wrong with flux welds. the shielding gives it the ability to penetrate deeper with less power and can give a nice lookin welds. and you can run 110V anywhere.

i guess what i'm dancin around, is don't use the small machines to weld on the jeep until your handy with the flux wire, or get used to making multiple passes to provide a sufficient root base and bridge with the solid wire or jump to a 220V.

Last edited:
Reactions: tworley and JMT
That’s crazy. I think I paid way less that $2500 for my 252 brand new. Strange times.
they are considered the Cadillac of welders by most and don't depreciate much.

what i should do is bite the bullet and buy the big boy 250 from Eastwood. it'll do all i ever need , comes with 3yr warranty and option to go to 5yr. they are local to me. and 450 less than a Hobart ironman, and 1500 less then a comparable Miller or Lincoln.

Reactions: Wildman