Upgrading the underhood light

I bought 3 KC Cyclone lights. One under hood on a mercury switch, I epoxied 2 of them into where the OEM dome lights were in the sound bar.
486CDDD6-9C9A-4BD5-AFC9-88FA73DCFB37.jpeg

Reactions: jeepins
I found mine on eBay with the wiring harness, magnetic base, and an LED bulb. I don't believe they make then any more, so it's eBay or a local junkyard to look for a Chevy pickup. I think someone in a previous post listed which ones it came on.
Local junk yard best option as RubiconMike says
I did a writeup of these lights in 2016. There are a bunch of photos, so maybe linking here would be helpful? I don't know.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/cool-under-hood-light.904/
I never moved up to the LED option; mine is fine as it is. And I have actually had to use it on a rainy night in the mud when my tire was holed through the sidewall. I was afraid to use the Hi-Lift in the soft mud, so I used an 18" square of plywood and the stock bottle jack, which did surprisingly well.

The GMC Suburban under-hood light has more than enough length to go around the side of the TJ and then underneath. I placed it above and forward of the axle to help me safely place my plywood and the jack. Once it was up and stable I moved the light to the tub above the rear wheel. I pulled the spare, pulled the holed tire, swapped them, moved the light back under and removed the jack and wood, tightened everything properly, and rolled on home, soaking wet but happy that I did not have to do that crap in the pitch dark and the heavy rain. The light really made this much less crappy for me. It also works well UNDER THE HOOD since you can move it around like a small work light. I really like this mod.

Anyway, I just looked for this seller and he is still on eBay (with a very high count of feedback at 100%!) but his store no longer lists these. I think he still lists his phone number, so you could call him to see if he has one on a shelf somewhere.

I did an eBay search for these and came up with the following:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=Chevy+GMC+Suburban+under+hood+light
Hope someone gets some use from this additional info.

Good luck!

Thank you fellas,
I managed to find one on ebay and got it for $30
CAN'T WAIT FOR THIS MOD.

Cheers everyone!

Reactions: Wade
This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
Nice job, man! When I started into your post, it was a "Would you look at that!" moment. Back in '99 or so, I had a 1988 GMC Sierra that had one of those reel lights. Best OEM light I'd ever seen. Now having the TJ and it's minimal lighting, I've found myself thinking back to that reel light many times. Your write-up may have just pushed me over the edge for this project.

Good looking TJ, btw!

Reactions: Wade
Thank you fellas,
I managed to find one on ebay and got it for $30
CAN'T WAIT FOR THIS MOD.

Cheers everyone!

I am back, and I am truly in love with this MOD.
Tomorrow I am getting an LED lamp for this instead of the old light bulb that is using, for more light.

Thank you for sharing this.

Here are photos of mine after I got it:

IMG_7290.jpg

IMG_7325.jpg

IMG_7326.jpg

I am assuming the GM light works similar to the factory light in which it only turns on when the hood is tilted up or do you need to wire in a switch to keep it from constantly running even when hood is closed?

I am assuming the GM light works similar to the factory light in which it only turns on when the hood is tilted up or do you need to wire in a switch to keep it from constantly running even when hood is closed?

No it is not, check the photos in here:
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/upgrading-the-underhood-light.8393/post-453163
It is way better than the factory's.
There is a switch, pay a close attention to the third photo and you'll see the switch on the light itself.

Reactions: MonkeyTrev
it has its own switch which is better, if the stock one fails to swtch off when the hood is closed it drains the battery

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
Thanks for coming up with this mod. It is by far one of the useful mod I've done.

Also, there is a seller on Ebay under the handle of "qzsues2dogs" who is selling new old stock for $10 a piece. Get it while it last! And the original has a suction mount along with the magnetic base. Neat!

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-...0001&campid=5337789113&icep_item=283764059540

View attachment 143658

View attachment 143659
Nice! Thanks for sharing. I also bought 10 LED lights for $10 from Amazon that fit that globe. Not bad at all!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LY7MLQV/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Reactions: Drippy
You guys are so fancy. My under hood light never worked.

I keep one of these in the Jeep and can magnet it anywhere.

FQkOcDmRGvZ_.jpg

Thanks for coming up with this mod. It is by far one of the useful mod I've done.

Also, there is a seller on Ebay under the handle of "qzsues2dogs" who is selling new old stock for $10 a piece. Get it while it last! And the original has a suction mount along with the magnetic base. Neat!

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-...0001&campid=5337789113&icep_item=283764059540

View attachment 143658

View attachment 143659
I robbed that light from my 89 Chevy truck :) it works great!

View attachment 143658

View attachment 143659
Thanks for the link, I ordered one last night! Where did you get the pigtail? And how did you connect the wiring?

Thanks for the link, I ordered one last night! Where did you get the pigtail? And how did you connect the wiring?

I actually found another used light with the pigtail harness before I founded this seller with the NOS.

You can use the GM p/n 88862305. These connectors are found in almost all GM vehicles. Or cross references
ACDelcoPT2386
GM88862305
Standard Motor ProductsTX3A
Standard Motor ProductsHP3840
Airtex/Wells1P006
Dorman85100

Never mind. Think I found it. GM p/n 88862305. eBay has them for about 10 dollars. View attachment 29600

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
While looking at these plugs on eBay I noticed in the description on one of them they listed some alternate part numbers. One of them was Dorman 85100, they are lest than $7 on eBay and I found one on Amazon for $6. When I get my light and this Dorman plug Monday I’ll let you know if it works.

Reactions: Byhumba
I ordered one of these off eBay a couple of days ago. Having used one on a C1500 that I had, I'm stoked to get it put on the Jeep. I've never liked the stock light. I bought a new replacement for the original, with a melted lens. Installed the new one, and one year later the new lens is now melted.😎👍