What do I have? Help me spend money

inkedrose

washed up superhero
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Looking to upgrade armor. Have Nth Degree oil pan armor that’s been hit pretty hard a few times and worked. Looking at UCF engine skid. Been reading conflicting info on aluminum vrs steel. Was planning on thickest aluminum. My TC skid I don’t recognize and can’t find any markings, it’s steel. If I read correctly should just be able to drill it and bolt right on? There’s a spacer/bracket between skid and T-case with an exhaust hanger. Is that standard or is that some type of tuck? I have a long arm lift (I know most aren’t a fan but it’s on), doesn’t look like anything will interfere with engine skid?
Last question, while I was under there I noticed a new oil drip and lots of residue at rear of oil pan. Wasn’t there few weeks ago, is that most likely RMS going out or a different problem?

IMG_8663.jpeg

IMG_8672.jpeg

IMG_8659.jpeg

IMG_8665.jpeg

IMG_8660.jpeg

IMG_8658.jpeg

IMG_8664.jpeg

Looks like the skids did their job, so that is good. Personally I am not in the aluminum camp for skids. It is a soft and easy to be cut / sliced. Worked on semi- trailers for a little over 3 years. Replaced a number of top / bottom rails as they had nice slices in them.

Looks like the skids did their job, so that is good. Personally I am not in the aluminum camp for skids. It is a soft and easy to be cut / sliced. Worked on semi- trailers for a little over 3 years. Replaced a number of top / bottom rails as they had nice slices in them.

x2 - steel for skids - save weight elsewhere.

Looks like the skids did their job, so that is good. Personally I am not in the aluminum camp for skids.

That’s my concern. Have read conflicting on aluminum. Want protection on trans, it has a few scrapes, the oil pan skid has paid it’s worth several times

That’s my concern. Have read conflicting on aluminum. Want protection on trans, it has a few scrapes, the oil pan skid has paid it’s worth several times

personally, the only places I'd recommend aluminum skids are if you're in a rocky area that's also salty. For example, if your area salts it's roads during winter that you drive on regularly (as in your rig isn't parked inside over winter), but also wheel rough areas. OR if you live on the salty coast, and also wheel. (some area's in Europe are like this and aluminum is a great choice) Otherwise - meh.

BTW, good on you for thinking through what's best. Good luck with the decision.:) (y)

The UCF engine skid attaches to the bottom of the motor mount and that's the worst part of the install in my opinion. I think that would mean it covers more up front than your current skid.
IMG_1117.jpg

The distance from the front of the skid to the back is roughly 32" and that's the 2002 version. You might want to call them and ask the dimensions for your 2004. I would think they are the same but not sure. That's the only other issue, is it long enough to reach your current skid.
IMG_1119.jpg

Reactions: inkedrose
The weight savings with aluminum is huge.
Acceleration, breaking, handling and offroad climbing are all benefits of aluminum. My jeep is all aluminum armor, my rig weighs 4k lbs. Other similar builds with steel armor are pushing 5k lbs.

aluminum is soft and easy to be cut / sliced.

No it isn't.

DSC_2810.jpg

Last edited:

Don't buy aluminum skids made from the same stuff they build box trucks, RVs, and semi trailers from.

Can you show us a skid made from the same material and comparable design specs as used in the manufacturing of semi trailers?

Reactions: TheBoogieman

Attachments

• 20240412_124148.jpg
    20240412_124148.jpg
    598.9 KB · Views: 31
Can you show us a skid made from the same material and comparable design specs as used in the manufacturing of semi trailers?

They weren’t skids, they were the top and bottom rails along trailers. It has been a long time and I have no idea what grade or the exact composition the aluminum was. I am aware there are different grades of aluminum etc. but in general aluminum will get sliced cut before steel. I know the Rubicon trail gets a lot of attention, but personally I think the Fordyce trail is more difficult. When I had my YJ I got home and saw the steel skid ended up have a slice in it. I perfer the steel, others prefer aluminum. I feel steel is more durable (not considering rust) than aluminum, but that may simply be my opipion based on personal experience.

Reactions: inkedrose
They weren’t skids, they were the top and bottom rails along trailers. It has been a long time and I have no idea what grade or the exact composition the aluminum was. I am aware there are different grades of aluminum etc. but in general aluminum will get sliced cut before steel. I know the Rubicon trail gets a lot of attention, but personally I think the Fordyce trail is more difficult. When I had my YJ I got home and saw the steel skid ended up have a slice in it. I perfer the steel, others prefer aluminum. I feel steel is more durable (not considering rust) than aluminum, but that may simply be my opipion based on personal experience.

The steel vs aluminum debate is well over 20 years old and long ago settled on aluminum where designed appropriately for the application. There isn't a question in my mind which is the preferable option.

20240412_150423.jpg