Things have been slow around here. Back to work on the Savvy tailgate armor.

After locating the 4 holes where I want to add some stainless hardware, I drilled them out with a 1/8” bit. Then I drilled out with a 3/8” bit as @mrblaine suggested.

Got the 5/8” 82* countersink bit in the mail. I wasn’t too impressed with the quality. Note the edge.
67101EE9-A0DA-41BA-B975-5DD32DE09B91.jpeg

nevertheless, it was easy to get all 4 just right.
FA85BB40-6B97-4C8F-8A73-C0CE85DEE354.jpeg

Next phase is to prep and paint Flame Red. Haven’t decided whether to paint it on the tailgate and cover all the hardware, or off and leave the hardware silver.

Things have been slow around here. Back to work on the Savvy tailgate armor.

After locating the 4 holes where I want to add some stainless hardware, I drilled them out with a 1/8” bit. Then I drilled out with a 3/8” bit as @mrblaine suggested.

Got the 5/8” 82* countersink bit in the mail. I wasn’t too impressed with the quality. Note the edge.
View attachment 228319
nevertheless, it was easy to get all 4 just right.
View attachment 228320
Next phase is to prep and paint Flame Red. Haven’t decided whether to paint it on the tailgate and cover all the hardware, or off and leave the hardware silver.
If you paint it with the H/W on, should you have to remove or tighten it, the paint around the H/W will crack. I've done it both ways and my favorite is to paint it off the vehicle, then install the stainless H/W. There is still the possibility of paint chipping this way, but I've found it to be less, and easier to touch up, if needed.

You could always lay it flat, drop in dummy H/W, and paint it that way. However, you would need to remove the dummy H/W before the paint dries. Also, there's a probability you could drop one of the dummy bolts on you new paint. Ask me how I know this! :(

If you paint it with the H/W on, should you have to remove or tighten it, the paint around the H/W will crack. I've done it both ways and my favorite is to paint it off the vehicle, then install the stainless H/W. There is still the possibility of paint chipping this way, but I've found it to be less, and easier to touch up, if needed.

You could always lay it flat, drop in dummy H/W, and paint it that way. However, you would need to remove the dummy H/W before the paint dries. Also, there's a probability you could drop one of the dummy bolts on you new paint. Ask me how I know this! :(
I think I'll just paint the tailgate armor off the Jeep and go with the stainless hardware. I don't have powdercoat ability and I might like the look

Tools are more expensive than Jeep mods. Glad I don’t have that addiction.
I was reading through some of this and didn't understand why you said this for a countersink bit. Then I clicked on the link and saw $166. I know this isn't the one you used, but I'm pretty sure I said out loud......WTF, $166 for a single bit! o_O

• Haha
Reactions: Wildman and JMT
What is the issue with the smooth shank?

BTW- I love their quantity pricing. I guess they think folks can't math. When I see stuff like that and I need multiples, I just load 5 eaches or whatever number I need 1 x however many I want which gives me the individual pricing.
I thought it was just me. I can add two singles to the cart for $28.98. Or, if I pick their two pack option it' $50.74. 🥴

• Face Palm
Reactions: Vasq
I thought it was just me. I can add two singles to the cart for $28.98. Or, if I pick their two pack option it' $50.74. 🥴
I know, but it's remarkable how many people can't look at the numbers and guesstimate that it's cheaper to buy one at a time than a set at those prices. On a related note, sometimes I ask my wife, how much did that cost? She's like, IDK. I simply don't understand that. Even after I've been to the store and bought 100 items, I can tell you pretty much how much each one cost. I might forget in a week, but I know what I'm paying for stuff when I buy it, and I don't go by the price tag at grocery stores when comparing items, I go by the cost/oz. It's usually written in tiny letters as you probably know. I've found it's a rally important thing to be able to do math in your head quick. For me it was natural, but for others they can't figure it out.

Sometimes when I buy something, say it rings up to 16.05. I give the guy 21.05. He looks at that extra $1 bill and he doesn't know what to do with it. I'm like, just ring up 21.05 and you'll see what I'm doing. Then he goes, "Oh," and hands me a $5 back. 🙄 Duh shit idiot. That's why you're back there ringing shit up and I'm not.

I know, but it's remarkable how many people can't look at the numbers and guesstimate that it's cheaper to buy one at a time than a set at those prices. On a related note, sometimes I ask my wife, how much did that cost? She's like, IDK. I simply don't understand that. Even after I've been to the store and bought 100 items, I can tell you pretty much how much each one cost. I might forget in a week, but I know what I'm paying for stuff when I buy it, and I don't go by the price tag at grocery stores when comparing items, I go by the cost/oz. It's usually written in tiny letters as you probably know. I've found it's a rally important thing to be able to do math in your head quick. For me it was natural, but for others they can't figure it out.

Sometimes when I buy something, say it rings up to 16.05. I give the guy 21.05. He looks at that extra $1 bill and he doesn't know what to do with it. I'm like, just ring up 21.05 and you'll see what I'm doing. Then he goes, "Oh," and hands me a $5 back. 🙄 Duh shit idiot. That's why you're back there ringing shit up and I'm not.
Computers are going to make us smarter. Get with the program! ;)

• Haha
Reactions: JMT

I've taught that to my daughter. Now I'm not sure she follows 🤔it every time she goes shopping but.
Look at how much it costs per Oz or pint or which ever and 👀 if it's really cheaper on sale...

Reactions: JMT
This one. It's basically the same as the one you linked to, except it's a 5/8" head diameter rather than 3/8". You'd need that to match the diameter of the head of the Savvy hardware. Blaine said Savvy uses a 3/8" hole. that's incorrect, at least on this tailgate. It is larger than 3/8". Nevertheless, a 3/8" hole and the 5/8" countersink with 82* bevel is sufficient and the hardware sits flush in the countersink.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00947BR7A/?tag=wranglerorg-20

This one. It's basically the same as the one you linked to, except it's a 5/8" head diameter rather than 3/8". You'd need that to match the diameter of the head of the Savvy hardware. Blaine said Savvy uses a 3/8" hole. that's incorrect, at least on this tailgate. It is larger than 3/8". Nevertheless, a 3/8" hole and the 5/8" countersink with 82* bevel is sufficient and the hardware sits flush in the countersink.

Thanks. My brain said 5/8, but my old man eyes translated that to 3/8! 🥴

Let me rephrase then. I designed all of the Savvy armor so you could drill all the holes with a 3/8" drill bit in a 3/8" or slightly undersize hole to locate them perfectly.

Let me rephrase then. I designed all of the Savvy armor so you could drill all the holes with a 3/8" drill bit in a 3/8" or slightly undersize hole to locate them perfectly.
And you did a great job. Thanks for the design. I wish they had kept drilling those mounting holes for us so we didn't have to buy a $25 bit!

Looks like I'm going to have to do the clutch. I was hoping to make it past Moab into warmer days. It's whining like crazy when I press the clutch and sometimes it whines lightly while I'm not even on the clutch. Making all sorts of terrible noises.

I have a RMS leak too. Should I do that while I'm there? Will it be much more work? Or just get some high mileage 10w-30 and see what happens?

Drop the tranny with the TCase? Or just split them?

I'm not looking forward to this. Irony is my wife bought me a Luk clutch for my birthday. Not sure that's really a birthday present. Sounds like vehicle maintenance. 🙄

Looks like I'm going to have to do the clutch. I was hoping to make it past Moab into warmer days. It's whining like crazy when I press the clutch and sometimes it whines lightly while I'm not even on the clutch. Making all sorts of terrible noises.

I have a RMS leak too. Should I do that while I'm there? Will it be much more work? Or just get some high mileage 10w-30 and see what happens?

Drop the tranny with the TCase? Or just split them?

I'm not looking forward to this. Irony is my wife bought me a Luk clutch for my birthday. Not sure that's really a birthday present. Sounds like vehicle maintenance. 🙄
I would drop them together. And replace the rms while the trans is out.