Accommodation Recommendations for TJ Fest Moab 2021

Jeffreybomb

Póg mo thóin!
Supporting Member
I've only had one trip to Moab for a Jeep Jamboree, but we stayed in a couple amazing places. So, I thought I'd start a thread where people can recommend (or dissuade) accommodations for attendees.

We stayed at two spots:

Moab Under Canvas: It's off the beaten path. And by that, I mean it's right off 191, but away from downtown Moab. The sky is fantastic at night and there's very little road noise. You'll have kind of a hard time finding a spot to charge your electronics; the front desk has a generator, but they don't run it throughout the night. Have a portable charger ready.

The tents are exactly that: tents. You'll be protected from the elements for the most part. It'll be pretty cold in the morning, though the covers on the beds will keep you quite comfortable. Wood burning stoves, showers and bathrooms in some units, but not a lot of privacy in either. You may be happier in a tent that doesn't have those amenities, as MOC has bathroom and shower trailers scattered about the campground that are actually pretty nice. They range from actual teepees all the way up to decked-out suites with couches and chairs.

We loved the scenery. By day, you're looking at a long stretch of Utah. By night, you're looking at a sky filled with stars.

Red Cliffs Lodge: Another facility that's separated from downtown Moab, this place is back in the winding road of 128 and on the bank of the Colorado River. The rooms are somewhat of a throwback: lots of old-school decor, but definitely not stuffy. The entire place is basically one giant ranch made into a resort. There's an awesome breakfast buffet in a building that overlooks a pasture used for weddings. A separate building houses a winery that offers bar service as well as bottles to take back to your room.

Rooms vary from basic up to some pretty bad-ass set-ups.

We were happy at both facilities. They're definitely pricey, but they're damn cool.

I stayed at the Apache Motel last year. Less than $100/night. John Wayne used to stay there. Close to the sand flats recreation area. Close to downtown. Nothing fancy, acceptable.

I stayed at the Apache Motel last year. Less than $100/night. John Wayne used to stay there. Close to the sand flats recreation area. Close to downtown. Nothing fancy, acceptable.

Wow, you even have to call for reservations? I may swap my reservation over since it seems as rustic as what I have in the Spanish valley.

I'd be up to split something (or rent a room) since I am solo. I booked a small cabin down in the Spanish Valley, but would like to be closer to Moab proper.

We stayed at the KOA right off of 191just past Moab Under Canvas. It's like camping - sort of. Nice & quiet, away from the strip.

Yes, if we (if my significant other doesn't go I might go by myself. Looks like loads of fun) go were camping in our Lance camper. I was looking at KOA myself. KOA has nice reviews, & all the camper hookups.

Last edited:
Lucy and I have stayed at KOAs quite a bit, on two motorcycle tours of the US we stayed at KOAs about 90% of the time. Very happy, overall, with the accommodations, sometimes they can be a little pricey for what you get but everything has always been clean and sanitary.....

Reactions: LarryTJ
so rv people, where are you staying? several mentions of koa, but where are we? :)
I am planning on pulling my little off road M416 with a roof top tent trailer. My thoughts were camp grounds when available and “boondocking” when not. The bigger question for me is how many miles per day is everyone else planning on. I have a couple of issues, my LJ gets about 10 mpg when towing the trailer, the black soft top and less than efficient a/c makes places like Kansas pretty brutal (my wife and I drove out to Colorado two years ago and it was pretty tough). So how many miles per day are people thinking they want to do? When we drove out to CO we were traveling with several Toyota 4Runners, all of which were fairly new and not especially built. They wanted to cruise at 70 or so and my LJ was not too happy with that........ thoughts?

I thought about camp grounds but with some unknown's and the length of my truck with the camper on-top plus the TJ in tow I'm looking at 43'. So to play it safe I'm Booked at OK RV Park for 9 nights (23APR thru 2 May. Get there one day ahead to goof off and chill one day after the event). OK RV Park had better reviews than KOA and I called KOA twice to ask questions but no reply so I'm just a piece of meat to them. However, Ok RV Park was quick to respond to an email (within 1 hour) and had better reviews than KOA on Yelp plus has some shade with a Pull-Thru site, No cancellation fee if within 48 hours, & Full hook ups @ $42 a night for Vets.

Regarding driving. I'm not caravaning with anyone at this point but I'm up for joining up. I'm probably headed through Vegas and hwy 15, 215 & 70. My 2004 Dodge 5.9 will do what ever i ask it but I'll probably drive conservative (65).

the wife has us at koa for now, but i'm calling ok rv park tomorrow. bronco safari is april 27-may1. don't know how big a deal that is, but don't goof around too long :)

Hi friends! I am totally new to this 😬. I don't think I've posted to a message board since I had a Xanga account (RIP). I also just got my very first TJ in May (<333) and my husband and I will be going to this inaugural fest! I just reserved us a cabin at the Moab Valley RV Resort & Campground. Anyone have any thoughts on this? We'll be driving from Atlanta, GA and want somewhere "comfortable" to land. It'd be nice to stay somewhere with other TJ-fest attendees so I'm wondering where we're all ending up. I'm hesitant about tent camping for the full week. This will be our first cross country drive...and unfortunately for my husband I'm admittedly more of a glamper than a camper 😢 lol. What do you think?

While I have been to Moab in the past, I limited myself to river rafting. I am not at all familiar with their trail system. As I start to look at RV parks, I am wondering if there is a general jumping off point where many of the trails start? I don’t want to stay somewhere that is so far out that just getting to the rally point is a trek in itself.

I also was not certain from the website if there will be a centralized gathering area for the TJ Fest festivities.

Anyone care to share their insights?

Bump this up. We probably can't make it this year (too many other obligations), but I'm definitely interested in seeing what kind of accommodations are out there.