Advice Needed: Choosing a Manual Locking Hub Conversion Kit

All depends on the Jeep. 4:88 is about where they start to get goofy. I have 4:88’s and 33’s and have the same vibration, I did the hub conversion last year and it solved my problem.

I'm starting to get this thread off topic, but I have one more question. What speed is the vibration noticeable? Above 35, 45, 55, or 65 MPH?

My Jeep with 4:88 gears and a 32 in tire started the vibration at about 50, a 33 moved it up to about 57-58.

Mine, with 42RLE transmission, NV241OR transfer case, 5.38 gears and 35" tires developed a vibration/harmonic at exactly 68 mph. There was no vibration at highway cruising speed (65-75 mph) with the same tires and 4.88 gears.

Is this a dana 44 specific issue? Or does the dana 30 suffer from the same problem.

Trying to work out a couple of things.

Ram Man's Wheel mod for TJ's
I not so sure there is enough meat left on the Rubicon rims. Wonder if that's why he did not drill all the way through. Appears to be fine on the backside though. Black circle is the 2 3/4" hole mod he recommends My vibrations start at around 63 mph with 488's and just under 34's.

IMG_7333.JPG

IMG_7334.JPG

Interesting observation on using the Ram Man unit bearing hub conversion kit with factory jeep wheels. I had seen the video but didn't give it any thought because I use aftermarket wheels.

I still think that the two Yukon kits are the best currently available options for manual hubs on a TJ/LJ.

My Manual Rubicon with 4:56 gets a slight“jaws them vibe “ at 67 . It’s minor , but real . I’m lucky mine rolls after getting in over my head so far when I regeared it. I love the re gear results , Love my Tj. I admire you guys for persistently chasing down the issues. Good Vibrations ....the Beach Boys were full of it!

Which rims did you end up going with? There seems to be very little off the shelf for 5x5.5 in a 17" and 3.75-4" BS.

Which rims did you end up going with? There seems to be very little off the shelf for 5x5.5 in a 17" and 3.75-4" BS.

I ended up keeping my Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ P3 315/75R16 tires. They were nearly new and worth more to me than the price a typical used tire buyer is willing to pay. I am now running Pro Comp P/N 1069-6885 16x8, 5x5.5, 4.0" B.S., 108mm center bore polished aluminum wheels. The look is nearly identical to my old wheels sans the rock rings.

I really wanted a set of 17x9 wheels and some new MT tires, but those will have to wait. If I get impatient I'm sure I can rationalize my way into a second set of "winter" wheels and tires. After all, 17's are the new 15's. ;)

Here's a trick suggested to me for finding 17x9" wheels with the 5x5.5 lug pattern:

There are lots of choices for 17x9 5x5.5 wheels with 5" of backspacing and 108mm center bore. Use 1" or 1.25" spacers and net 3.75-4" backspacing.

Reasonably priced spacers are available from: https://www.titanwheelaccessories.c...lt?rq=yr_1986~mk_jeep~md_cj7~sz_wheel-spacers
(I have not purchased anything from this company. I am told that quality is generally good but one should inspect for potential imperfections. Not surprising at this price point.)

I have an XJ 30 that I am going to put a set of CJ knuckles on when I get the inner C's swapped. That should be plenty strong of a combination for a TJ and give me 6 bolt lockout external hubs and 5x5.5 bolt pattern...it will just be an extra project once I get my Ford HP 44 narrowed. I love the idea of 3" tubes with .5 wall that 44 has, the xj 30 looks tiny in comparison. Tim

Reactions: MallCrawlOnTons
I've been pondering a locking hub conversion for a while. I'm curious if anyone has tried going with the Reid knuckles and then just buying the disc brake kit and warn hubs for it.

Here are a couple links:
http://www.getflex4x4.com/product/jeep-heavy-duty-flat-top-dana-30-44-conversion-knuckles/https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-...0001&campid=5337789113&icep_item=312168892744
I think all you need besides above are the hubs which I think are <$100 and maybe the outer axle stubs.

What am I missing? Seems like it might be a really solid setup.

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
Here's a trick suggested to me for finding 17x9" wheels with the 5x5.5 lug pattern:

There are lots of choices for 17x9 5x5.5 wheels with 5" of backspacing and 108mm center bore. Use 1" or 1.25" spacers and net 3.75-4" backspacing.

Too bad there's not more options without involving spacers. Do the rims end up being hub centric? Based on your install, do you think a 107.95mm center bore would work?