Axeman's Build Thread

I was able to order some longer bolts and create extensions for the spare tire bumpers. I used a hard extension tube for a wet/dry vac. It's not the greatest solution, I would have much rather pulled the tire in closer to the tailgate but my welder and welding skill isn't good enough to cut up a bracket like that.

1kyiDl5qS3aR3EPHyRB0xg.jpg

m%cjR0YmTnm4J1jQE6aKng.jpg

NBJV05aFQ+GNvvG7QUiNhQ.jpg

I love the DC2s, the quality seems good for an aluminum wheel. It won't see the salty winter roads so they should hold up against corrosion. My only issue is with the brake dust on the front, it's hard to keep up with it and does discolor the wheel. It will clean right off, but thats more of a brake pad issue. The fuel wheels you mentioned look good too.

Thanks for replying. I will replace my wheels maybe next month because I need to replace first the radiator and hoses on my rig.

I've been working on a storage solution for trail gear/tools/parts. I like the Tuffy boxes, but once you add up the cost of dividers, lift rails, etc., it becomes too much for a trail rig. I ended up building a platform lid for storage underneath out of wood. Now wood isn't ideal, and I don't consider myself carpenter, but metal fab isn't much easier without the right equipment.

The limiting factors for the build was to be able to remove the setup easily to reinstall the rear seat when needed, and allow room for my 2 dogs on top.

I started with figuring out what equipment I needed for storage to get the right height:
RA12lu7+Tom4EWfifidbJQ.jpg

I notched out the front for the latch and brake light wiring, then glued and screwed it together:
SN6TbLLKT3WyGZT0kG+21A.jpg

I used truck bed liner paint to coat the wood for durability (and it matched my tub that is sprayed liner)
cvKS7s0zRLKAiztkSfcrLA.jpg

To keep it tied town to the floor I used hook latches catch on the floor tie downs.
dV5Ra6f3Q1CmXw6yhDvxwg.jpg

The platform was constructed from 3/4" plywood and coated with the bed liner paint:
huY9ZSX1RKWtVRnBVTgSFw.jpg

The lid is held down in the back with 2 slide locks on either side. With the tailgate locked the lid is secured. I know its only wood and can be easily forced up, but it's better than nothing and keeps it from bouncing.
7a%JRFwlRFK4+Q6IZKvzAg.jpg

Now I need to figure out some type of prop rod to hold it up:
r9nJvq4QQta3g6ua3FEhYQ.jpg

I will likely modify this some more to fit my needs down the road. I'll throw some type of dog bed on top for the time being so the pups can enjoy the ride.

Tube Doors

I have been wanting some tube/trail doors for a few months. I like the protection they offer while still having the open feel and visibility as having the doors off. I really only plan on using them offroad. Nothing has come up used locally, but I found a great deal on Amazon for the Smittybilt SRC Doors for $173 shipped. They are listed $250-350 on all the regular vendor sites, so I was a little unsure at first but ordered them anyway.

EPbv%TLURFm6hz2bDOjg3w.jpg

They are heavy, quality feeling doors with a PC finish. Came with all the hardware and were an easy install. I didn't really have to mess with adjusting them, they bolted right on and latch perfectly. They even came with mirror relocation brackets, which I didn't need.

hIkxdbiGQxaosJZvrv55sA.jpg

YGh39pQPQyS2LcYN6vgG2w.jpg

I know there's not a lot of Smittybilt fans on here, but you really can't beat the price of these, not even used. I'll have them out on the trails tomorrow.

Reactions: bobthetj03
Just a couple updates from the past few weeks of parts/work:

Got the right JKS frame mounts for the discos finally so I can stop using zip ties
62040363344__BF78BC01-425A-48E4-9A63-B3C47EDC7EAD.JPG

Installed an Alloy diff cover on the Dana 44 for now, still would like to find some type of slider skid other than the Rancho
3I+Af+PuRki9bAuJysuunA.jpg

gHPOAEITRlOVrgS0oaxMVw.jpg

Got some LED side markers/directionals after the MCE fender install deleted the factory ones
1gRm67Z1S725INHALl6daw.jpg

u73TazGTTySm2J1ChcZung.jpg

And then working on an ASD hidden kill switch now for some added theft protection
m1LIvhMxQC2TDPXJUdSNHg.jpg

So the Alloy cover looked good on the rear diff, but in the process of protecting the dana on the first trip out with it installed it sustained some damage.
aHiXXU2tRWq52nQZdIJntA.jpg

I decided it wasn't the type of protection I was looking for. I wanted a slider/skid originally, but the only TJ 44 option is the Rancho skid, and it seems to be on back order.

I took a chance and ordered the Rugged Ridge JK Dana 44 rear skid. I figured it would fit bolt pattern, but didn't know how it would fit the pinion snout.
q8c1dpI1SFy1nYOOWUleIA.jpg

Everything bolted up as it should, and the skid extends to cover the pinion yoke, which is great. I don't know why they say this is only for JK D44s, but it seems to be a perfect fit for the TJ. I may have lost a little ground clearance, but I'll take that over being hung up on the rear diff as I was last weekend.

Had to remove the Alloy cover, the RR skid doesn't allow for aftermarket cover clearances
gJXyqyoMQGK+8pQcMkA03Q.jpg

Also gave the JK bolt on Control Arm Skids a try:
y6Few11CRjSvllNm2h+PnQ.jpg

wwGG8eqXSF+7ahNVvmy4aQ.jpg

They bolted right up nicely. I know the bolt on's aren't great, but I was looking for a quick easy way to protect the already damaged front LCAs from any more hits.

Reactions: bobthetj03
So the Alloy cover looked good on the rear diff, but in the process of protecting the dana on the first trip out with it installed it sustained some damage.
View attachment 189449

I decided it wasn't the type of protection I was looking for. I wanted a slider/skid originally, but the only TJ 44 option is the Rancho skid, and it seems to be on back order.

I took a chance and ordered the Rugged Ridge JK Dana 44 rear skid. I figured it would fit bolt pattern, but didn't know how it would fit the pinion snout.
View attachment 189450
Everything bolted up as it should, and the skid extends to cover the pinion yoke, which is great. I don't know why they say this is only for JK D44s, but it seems to be a perfect fit for the TJ. I may have lost a little ground clearance, but I'll take that over being hung up on the rear diff as I was last weekend.

Had to remove the Alloy cover, the RR skid doesn't allow for aftermarket cover clearances
View attachment 189464

Also gave the JK bolt on Control Arm Skids a try:
View attachment 189455

View attachment 189456
They bolted right up nicely. I know the bolt on's aren't great, but I was looking for a quick easy way to protect the already damaged front LCAs from any more hits.

I tried to look for the rugged ridge skid. I don’t think they make it anymore. I can’t seem to find it.