Build Suggestions

BoundlessBasu

KTBFFH
Supporting Member
Hey all! Happy new years and hope you're all doing great!

My '05 6spd LJ has been serving me nicely as a DD for school and work for these past three months (though apparently I've been driving it wrong all this time).
Looking to upgrade now and change it more into the starting point of my build and then work from there:

It currently has I believe:
4" skyjacker kit with shocks/stabilizer, some aftermarket control arms, drop pitman arm, 33" 60% tread KO2's.
It used to have some aftermarket fixed trackbar and a reloc bracket bu t removed that and put in JKS.
Going to get rid of all of this.
Never driven a Jeep really besides rental JL's before this so I don't know how it's supposed to ride but it must be better than this...
=====================================================
Planning on the following:

4 - OME Springs 2932 Front (Light duty), 2949 Rear (LJ Med Duty)
4 - Rancho RS5000X (0-2" Lift) - RS55239 (Front) & RS55241 (Rear)
Any additional bumpstop if needed after cycling suspension? Don't think so though besides what comes in the emu kit
Rancho Steering Damper - RS5407
Stock Spare Tire Carrier/Mount with the stubbys & 3rd Brake Light (came missing)
5 - 31x10.5R15 Tires - Wildpeak A/T3's (Load C Rated)
5 - 15" Wheels - Unsure as of yet - Black, cheap & simple but nice design; not steelies - Backspacing to where tires dont stick out too much past fender
JKS Quick Disconnects
Banks LJ Monster Exhaust - 51315-B (black tipped)
===================================================

Was wondering on the above setup as well, should I look into Savvy 1.25" BDL and a 1" MML?

Thanks!
- Basu

Post up some pics so folks here can see what you have under the Jeep.

Do you have a transfer case drop with that 4” lift or is the LJ’s extra rear driveshaft length able to compensate for the pinion angle change?

As I’m sure others will say as well, remove the dropped pitman arm and go back to stock pitman arm.

P.S. Assuming you have stock 3.73 gearing that LJ’s come with (and rear Dana 44). 31’s with the 3.73 and 6 speed will be great as a daily driver.

As far as a DD it looks like you're on the right track by ditching the skyjacker 4". Will you offroad as well?

Eventually, but no crazy rock climbing. Light trails and traversing. Intend to go up north (and south) to camp and adventure with my husky!

Been getting it fixed up to DD status as of now. Quite a bit of work has been done so far:
- RMS/Valve Cover Gasket
- Front brake rotors/pads/shims
- Front 4 balljoints
- Windshield washer motor
- Windshield frame replaced with a 97-02 frame
- TCase 4WD Switch
- JKS Trackbar
- Transfer Case bushing
- Blower motor

And getting the following done this weekend:
- Cat converters (rattling)
- O2 sensors
- Oil Pan (rotten/leaking)
- Front pinion seal (leak)
- Oil flush (remove carbon buildup for lifter ticking)
- Crown OPDA
- Autolite XP985 Spark plugs

However, the LJ's frame is one of the cleanest found, and it's been in SW Ontario it's entire lifetime (was sold originally in my city). Very rare and happy to have that solid base as I want to keep this for a lifetime too :)

Coated the internal with 4.5 cans of eastwood, very liberally and thick.
Will coat with Fluid film (and Krown on top maybe?) after I get all the other parts on.

WIll have to replace front fenders and floorpans this summer. And clean up the small forming rust spots elsewhere on the body, not much to take care of in that regard. Then save up for the soft top intime for summer!

Post up some pics so folks here can see what you have under the Jeep.

Do you have a transfer case drop with that 4” lift or is the LJ’s extra rear driveshaft length able to compensate for the pinion angle change?

As I’m sure others will say as well, remove the dropped pitman arm and go back to stock pitman arm.

No tcase drop I believe. I will be getting a stock pitman arm same time as the suspension upgrade.
Pics will come! I've been delaying creating my build thread, but I should hop it up soon this weekend and update with all my small mods I've done so far too like my GraBars :p

Last edited:
Reactions: mots
If you're looking for cheap black wheels, I bought the Tactik D's off Quadratec out of necessity after purchasing my Jeep. It came with absolute trash rims. $200 flat got me 5 matching steel wheels and I think that price is still the same.

The Rancho 55239/55241's are more suited for 2"-3" lift heights. I'd suggest using the 0"-2" option to avoid having to add extended bumpstops.

Reactions: BoundlessBasu
Upgrade the steering to ZJ parts and you have a good solid build. Going g to 31's with the OME springs you should need minimal bumpstop extensions if any. Cycle the suspension with the 31's to be sure though. I think you will be happy with the improvement in on-road driving. And will probably not notice any loss offroad. Be sure to get load range 'C' tires with 26-28 psi. Your mpg will probably get better with the 31's and stock gears too👍

If you use a rear track bar relocation bracket, you'll need 1" of bump stop extension in the rear to keep the bracket from hitting the tub at full stuff.