FRP tuning for 97-06 TJs

This is all hypothetical of course.

I'm on the HP tuners website right now but I'm a little lost in the sauce. Is there any way you could link me to what I would need to hypothetically pull this off?

https://www.hptuners.com/mpvi2plus/
You need that.

For the options you DO NOT need the pro features, but you DO NEED 2 credits.

That will be all you need though (y)

You're the man! And just so I'm understanding, what you've linked will also support the tune from FRP?

You'll need the FRP tune FIRST, but you'll also need this setup to install the tune.

Once you install the FRP tune via HPTuners (the stuff I linked to), then you'll go into the tune, edit the tune, and disable any systems you want to disable.

What I am getting as it that you can't disable the systems first and THEN add the FRP tune, because if you do that you'll overwrite the PCM with the FRP tune. Make sense?

Ryan won't tune out any emission systems (due to legalities) which is why I'm pointing this out.

5 beans for that gizmo but it'll run on a laptop?
IDK if the CEL is buggin me 500$ worth.

Last edited:
You'll need the FRP tune FIRST, but you'll also need this setup to install the tune.

Once you install the FRP tune via HPTuners (the stuff I linked to), then you'll go into the tune, edit the tune, and disable any systems you want to disable.

What I am getting as it that you can't disable the systems first and THEN add the FRP tune, because if you do that you'll overwrite the PCM with the FRP tune. Make sense?

Ryan won't tune out any emission systems (due to legalities) which is why I'm pointing this out.
Understood. Thanks!

Reactions: Chris
$500 to install the tune, and to rid the CEL's. Have you seen the price of CATs lately? $500 plus the cost of a tune is a bargain...
you may have more use for it.

i just want to rid the lit lamp so if a critical sys did throw i'd have notice. i disco'd some of the evap crap and it never made it back onboard. ;)

Nice to see you finally joined Ryan.

I have an FRP tune on my 4.0 as many of you already know, and in case you haven't seen me raving about how amazing it is already, I will say that it completely transformed the way my 4.0 drives, no joke.

I'd also like to add that I am not paid or endorsed by Ryan, nor did I receive anything for free. This tune really is a game changer in terms of waking up the 4.0.

You won't know what you've been missing until you try it, and after you do purchase it you'll be thanking me for having done so.

Chris, hello there and thank you very much for your info about the FRP programming. I have a dilemma and checking to see if you have any advice.
I have a beautiful 2006 jeep yellow Jeep, Wrangler LJR with the automatic 42RLE. My Jeep just crossed the 100,000 mile marker last week. I started getting a code which is PO 157. The code is for the second CO sensor. I went to clear this code out with a friend’s snap on code reader, but he could not establish a connection to my PCM with his code reader. From what I hear, sounds like my PCM may be on its way out, which is extremely common with a 2005 2006 jeep wranglers. I plan on replacing the sensor and checking all wires between the sensor and the PCM before my next step. I hope that fixes the problem, but if not. I hear great things about the Wranglerfix PCM‘s, but the only issue with them is that they seem to not be programmable. On that hand, I would love to have the FRP program on my jeep and get that extra performance out of it. Do you know of any other PCM’s that I could install and still get that awesome FRP program on my jeep?

Chris, hello there and thank you very much for your info about the FRP programming. I have a dilemma and checking to see if you have any advice.
I have a beautiful 2006 jeep yellow Jeep, Wrangler LJR with the automatic 42RLE. My Jeep just crossed the 100,000 mile marker last week. I started getting a code which is PO 157. The code is for the second CO sensor. I went to clear this code out with a friend’s snap on code reader, but he could not establish a connection to my PCM with his code reader. From what I hear, sounds like my PCM may be on its way out, which is extremely common with a 2005 2006 jeep wranglers. I plan on replacing the sensor and checking all wires between the sensor and the PCM before my next step. I hope that fixes the problem, but if not. I hear great things about the Wranglerfix PCM‘s, but the only issue with them is that they seem to not be programmable. On that hand, I would love to have the FRP program on my jeep and get that extra performance out of it. Do you know of any other PCM’s that I could install and still get that awesome FRP program on my jeep?

You'd have to talk to Mark @Wranglerfix about this. I agree that one of the things that stinks is that you can't tune his PCMs, which is too bad because that FRP tune made a real difference on my TJ. Maybe this is something Mark is working on sorting out in the future, I'm not sure. In any case, he should be chiming in shortly since he's usually very quick to respond.

Reactions: Wranglerfix
I was wondering if I went ahead and spent the money and got my stock 4.0 tuned would I be able to use the tune on the 4.6 that is being built. Or should I wait and tune it later?

I was wondering if I went ahead and spent the money and got my stock 4.0 tuned would I be able to use the tune on the 4.6 that is being built. Or should I wait and tune it later?

You'd end up paying to have it tuned twice. How soon are you going to be swapping in the stroker? If you're doing the swap within the new 6 months or so I'd just wait. FRP is the MAN for tuning our Jeeps btw.

Folks, caution on HPTuners MPVI3! The below is an update from their website—JTEC PCMs are not supported (middle of vehicle support page). There have been Jeep guys with locked up PCMs since MPVI3 came out in about October ‘22–check the forum page on “Dodge Tuning-Gas”. They had an Alpha release for JTEC but have since published JTEC is not supported. MPVI2+ still supports JTEC but they are discontinued. I have been waiting on this to get my new stroker tuned since September and am about to punt and go with SCT. Please let me know if you find out differently. TJBUD

C2B780EF-96BC-45C4-AE85-B9A0F5BCB92A.png

• Sad
Reactions: Rickyd
Folks, caution on HPTuners MPVI3! The below is an update from their website—JTEC PCMs are not supported (middle of vehicle support page). There have been Jeep guys with locked up PCMs since MPVI3 came out in about October ‘22–check the forum page on “Dodge Tuning-Gas”. They had an Alpha release for JTEC but have since published JTEC is not supported. MPVI2+ still supports JTEC but they are discontinued. I have been waiting on this to get my new stroker tuned since September and am about to punt and go with SCT. Please let me know if you find out differently. TJBUD

View attachment 407234

It lists 97-04 Wrangler 4.0 as well as 05-06 Wranglers 2.4 & 4.0. I don't see the part of the page you took your screenshot from there at all any longer. Maybe the problem was resolved?

Perhaps there might be a market for plug and play tuned ECMs. Like a @Wranglerfix PCM with a @Flyin' Ryan Performance tune. Then the tune install would literally be three plugs and a few screws. No HP Tuners required. If it needs re-tuned, mail it back or swap it. Also, reverting to stock would be very easy

As far as a garden variety stock or bolt on Jeep 4.0, on 87 we pick up 15-20 whp/20-25 wtq across the ENTIRE RPM RANGE, from 1500 to 5300 rpm. (That's with our canned tune). That was our result on our 2004 4.0 5 spd TJ guinea pig, with 34" MTs and steel wheels so nothing done to fluff the numbers any.
The 4.0 picks up about 12% in contrast, and does so across the entire curve! Without the expense of premium gas!

With regards to fuel economy, the drag profile of the TJ specifically makes it difficult to get any measurable improvement. On other platforms 1-2 mpg improvement is typical (albeit not guaranteed) , but on the TJ our findings have been that fuel economy stayed about the same.

Got the canned tune installed on my '06 LJR about a month ago. As many others have confirmed, it's a game changer! Noticeably better at accelerating and maintaining speed in all gears. I just took a trip over Donner Pass on I-80 and the difference is remarkable. As an added bonus, I also picked up 2 MPG! (Was at 10 average, so I suspect the tune fixed something wrong in the ECM.)

Thanks Ryan!