How to identify axles on a Jeep Wrangler TJ (and what the difference is with each axle)

While I realize this original post was some time ago, thanks for great info. I recently bought a 2001 TJ with a 4.0 and it's one of the (very) few I could find with the optional Dana 44 with 3.73 gearing in the rear. I have a seal leaking on the rear passenger side. Haven't disassembled it yet but ordered (and haven't received yet) new rear axle shafts and the bearing/seal kit. Couldn't find much info regarding the axle shafts and now realize they may are different for those with trac-loc than those without. Just found how how to view my build sheet using the VIN and it came with the Dana 44 and Trac-Loc... hope the shafts I have coming will fit!

If you are luck enough that the tag is still bolted to the cover you can use the Dana Expert to identify the exact axle you have including parts list.

How to read the tag http://www.differentials.com/technical-help-2/differential-identification/

Dana Expert bill of material https://www.expert.dana.com/expertforms/deabill.aspx

Thanks, appreciate the link. Yes the tag is still in place. I doubt the diff case was ever cracked open. Also the small tag on the top bolt identifying it as having the trac-loc is still there also. I called the axle shaft manufacturer to double check and was assured the shafts I ordered will fit my axle. Fingers crossed but good to know since they are supposed to be delivered today. Guess I'll know for sure once I pull the old ones.

Can anyone help me? I’m having difficulty identifying my diff. Thank you so much in advance! With this diff, should I expect any issues with 33” tires off roading ? Thanks again!

83CC8192-A17F-47E1-BE74-108F5AB8B8A4.jpeg

06BAA880-1685-4FE0-A724-990DABED0278.jpeg

Additionally, it appears to me that you have 3.73 gears, based on what I see on the tag that's on your Dana 30. The left tag on your Dana 44 (rear axle) should have the same gear ratio showing (look for a 3.73 on the bottom line of the stampings). Also, if I'm not mistaken, the tag that's on the right side of the differential cover (rear axle) should say something about Trac-lok, or LSD (Limited Slip Differential), and using the proper gear oil. If so, that means you have an LSD...a "posi", as us old timers called 'em. Also a plus.

Last edited:
Unless the person you bought it from told you they had upgraded the front or rear diff (likely a selling point) they are most likely stock. That said, one way to determine what you have is to download your build sheet. It will also list whether it came with trac-loc etc.
http://jeepsies.com/jeep-build-sheet/
Thank you ! According to my build sheet.

I have a Dana 30/186MM front axle and a heavy duty Dana 40 with trak-lok on rear.

So, I bought a second hand 04 Sport and idk whats up with it but looks like the previous owner put a Dana 35 on the front and a 44 on the back. does that compute? Im at work but will add pictures later

So, I bought a second hand 04 Sport and idk whats up with it but looks like the previous owner put a Dana 35 on the front and a 44 on the back. does that compute? Im at work but will add pictures later
Sport came with a Dana 30 and optional Dana 44