MiRustyjeep

You’re a man of many talents!
The nice thing about clear is you can buff it out.
Usually I have flies doing a backstroke in the finished product!
The phrase "jack of all trades, master of none" rings true. I know enough to be dangerous about an awful lot of stuff, but I'm not an expert at anything. But...I enjoy the process of learning and doing better each time I do a job.

Spent some time sanding tonight...I probably should have waited a couple more days, but I'm impatient and I couldn't do anything else with it still masked up, and I didn't want to unmask until I knew if I was going to have to respray.

Anyway, the silver lining...I put this shit on so thick that there was plenty to sand down, LOL.

Anyway, a couple hours of scraping and sanding later, I have the runs and sags knocked down to an acceptable level. I used a razor blade to scrap the runs... Which worked pretty well once I got the knack for it. Then 600 grit wet sanding got everything nice and smooth. I need some 800 grit, then I'll run it up too 1500, or maybe 2000 before I get the buffer out and do a nice cut and polish. I did sand thru in one spot down but the logo. I'll do a quick touch up. Like I said before... It's a Jeep, and it's a temporary fix. A couple blemishes aren't going to big a big deal to me.
IMG_20210419_212148958_HDR.jpg

Reactions: Squatch
Spent some time sanding tonight...I probably should have waited a couple more days, but I'm impatient and I couldn't do anything else with it still masked up, and I didn't want to unmask until I knew if I was going to have to respray.

Anyway, the silver lining...I put this shit on so thick that there was plenty to sand down, LOL.

Anyway, a couple hours of scraping and sanding later, I have the runs and sags knocked down to an acceptable level. I used a razor blade to scrap the runs... Which worked pretty well once I got the knack for it. Then 600 grit wet sanding got everything nice and smooth. I need some 800 grit, then I'll run it up too 1500, or maybe 2000 before I get the buffer out and do a nice cut and polish. I did sand thru in one spot down but the logo. I'll do a quick touch up. Like I said before... It's a Jeep, and it's a temporary fix. A couple blemishes aren't going to big a big deal to me. View attachment 245203
Nice Mike. I’ve always said, the sure sign of true craftsman is how well they correct mistakes.

Having seen the before pic, I’m surprised how well that came out.

Reactions: Mike_H
Worked on some assembly today and took a break from paintwork. Got the dash mostly put together. Another couple hours and this should be done. Then it's big stuff that goes together FAST.
IMG_20210420_212012495.jpg

Can anyone take a picture of the back of their steering wheel, where the column trim meets up? I have a bigger gap now than I remember before I took it apart.

Worked on some assembly today and took a break from paintwork. Got the dash mostly put together. Another couple hours and this should be done. Then it's big stuff that goes together FAST.
View attachment 245450

Can anyone take a picture of the back of their steering wheel, where the column trim meets up? I have a bigger gap now than I remember before I took it apart.

Great work man, you are really putting in the hours and the results speak for themselves.

Are you putting in a new heater core while you are this far disassembled? Might as well, that thing looks to be a PITA otherwise.

Great work man, you are really putting in the hours and the results speak for themselves.

Are you putting in a new heater core while you are this far disassembled? Might as well, that thing looks to be a PITA otherwise.
I did not. I couldn't get a "good" one, and I've not had trouble with mine. So... I'm rolling the dice. I hope I don't regret it.

Working on installing the body panel today. Got my rear bumper installed too.

IMG_20210424_224604362_HDR.jpg

Front end went on too. Both fenders were installed, and, since I had some help, decided to tackle the hood. What a pain in the ass. We went back and forth with it. It's like the front fenders are set up out of square. We got it to drop down and not crash into either side of the grill. It will work, but if like to make it better.

IMG_20210424_224805118.jpg

IMG_20210424_224700092_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210424_224650881_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210424_224643671_HDR.jpg

Also got my brakes leak free and bled. I replaced all the hard and soft lines.

The dash is about 80 percent done too, so I'm getting close to trying this thing out!

Worked on sliders and the rear end for the last couple days. No pics of the sliders yet, but they're coming. Some big improvements there (IMHO, anyway).

The rear end is just about done. Worked on installing the tailgate, savvy tail lights, and remounting my tire carrier. I use a bestop carrier, so I had to redrill my tub for the brackets. Since I went to the savvy tail lights, I needed a different solution for the licence plate. I picked up motobilt spare tire plate mounting kit when I bought my front bumper. I also added one of those brake light rings that go behind the tire to function as my third brake light (that I've been running without for years).

With the bumper and lights...I kinda want to delete my spare! It's pretty clean looking back there.
IMG_20210428_193323009.jpg
IMG_20210428_193330514.jpg
IMG_20210428_193338563.jpg

The pressure is on though. This coming weekend is like my last real weekend to work on it. The weekend after, I have to do yard work and it's mother's day. Then...I leave for my trip. It's gonna be tight!

My tub is painted! I'll have to do some sanding, but overall, for what I'm trying to accomplish this go round, it's pretty good. First, some filler for the welded repair.

View attachment 244864View attachment 244865

Color coat onView attachment 244866

Then clear. Little history on me and clear coat. I have a hard time with it. Not sure why, but I always get orange peel. I've deduced that I don't put it on heavy enough. This time, I was bound and determined to put it on heavier.

View attachment 244867

And I did. Most of the work looks great. Some is damn near perfect.

View attachment 244868

And then... There are areas to sand.

View attachment 244869

Oops. At least I can sand and polish it out. Maybe @bobthetj03 can give me a couple pointers. This is a temporary fix until I do a color change next year... Or sooner. Depends how busy I am this summer.
Hey, Mike...what type of paint did you use? Acrylic enamel, or a urethane? What brand? Inquiring minds want to know.

Hey, Mike...what type of paint did you use? Acrylic enamel, or a urethane? What brand? Inquiring minds want to know.
A urethane base coat/clear coat. I have a paint supply store about 5 blocks from home. Good guys. Anyway, I used Nason paint. I've had good luck with their product, both single stage and two stage.

Reactions: Squatch
A urethane base coat/clear coat. I have a paint supply store about 5 blocks from home. Good guys. Anyway, I used Nason paint. I've had good luck with their product, both single stage and two stage.
Thanks, Chief. While I've read that the urethane paints (especially the clear) have some nasty stuff in it, I figure the real danger is for those who use the stuff on a fairly regular basis. I suspect the "once every few years" hobbyist is probably not going to suffer any real health issues. At least, that's what I'm counting on.

Thanks, Chief. While I've read that the urethane paints (especially the clear) have some nasty stuff in it, I figure the real danger is for those who use the stuff on a fairly regular basis. I suspect the "once every few years" hobbyist is probably not going to suffer any real health issues. At least, that's what I'm counting on.
Get yourself a good respirator with replaceable cartridges, so you can filter the organics. I use a 3M one.

Get yourself a good respirator with replaceable cartridges, so you can filter the organics. I use a 3M one.
I was just reading that some brands of paints are worse than others in how heavily they can affect you. Some painters are going so far as to say that the charcoal filtered masks won't help, and that only a fresh air supply system will work. Of course, these are the guys doing it for a living.

The last truck I painted (in the mid-80s) was with an acrylic enamel. Maybe I will just stick to that. 🤷‍♂️

Something I completely forgot about: All this facial fuzz probably isn't going to help with getting a good seal on a mask, though I have heard of some folks using petroleum jelly in their beards to help create a better seal. Anyways, I don't mean to come across as a wuss. I'm just trying to reduce my chances of making my health any worse than it is. I've got some concerns about the urethane, but maybe not enough to stop me from using it. :unsure:

Reactions: taylormade73