New guy with a TJ6

I received most of the parts for the stroker build. There will be a number of smaller parts to acquire along the way but I'm at least able to start the build. I don't know if anyone wants to see pics of the build itself but I can supply them as I go through the process. I'm looking forward to the HP/torque increase to see how well it performs on the freeway and the mountain roads. Hopefully, I'll have an easier time getting to the trails when all said and done.

The main reason I got the TJ was to do a stretch like the TJ6, or a Pickup conversion. Looking into this topic very closely.

I received most of the parts for the stroker build. There will be a number of smaller parts to acquire along the way but I'm at least able to start the build. I don't know if anyone wants to see pics of the build itself but I can supply them as I go through the process. I'm looking forward to the HP/torque increase to see how well it performs on the freeway and the mountain roads. Hopefully, I'll have an easier time getting to the trails when all said and done.
Ya man, try to accurately document how much work and skill this takes, because I would love to go the stroker route but i have never cracked a 4-stroke motor open before.

Reactions: Wildman and Ephry73
Ya man, try to accurately document how much work and skill this takes, because I would love to go the stroker route but i have never cracked a 4-stroke motor open before.
The good thing is there's tons of info out there. It's the little things that matter in a build to make sure you either don't have to pull it back apart or really screw something up. I'll post my progress. It's been 6 months since I pulled the donor motor apart so I'm hoping all of my old fasteners are still hanging around.

So I picked up most of the parts for the 4.7 Stroker from Russ this week. Here's a quick look at some of them:

Forged Pistons and rods
20210528_102806_resized.jpg

20210528_102801_resized.jpg

20210528_102940_resized.jpg

Roller Rockers
20210528_103118_resized.jpg

12 wt crank

20210528_105507_resized.jpg

The head had a lot of work done to it. chambers opened a bit with LS valves and ported

20210528_105636_resized.jpg

20210528_105643_resized.jpg

Intake has been port matched

20210528_105729_resized.jpg

62mm throttle body - CARB approved

20210528_105845_resized.jpg

He also did my engine block machining
20210528_110233_resized.jpg

I'll start this weekend by thoroughly cleaning the block as well as make sure my work area is super clean. The last thing I want is to have debris find its way into this build. I also need to get all of the supplies (assembly lube, sealants, brake cleaner, etc).

I may be futile in this but I'm trying to convince my wife that this would be a great "couples" project. She's not quite on board yet. I mentioned before that she hated the Jeep when I went through the extension portion so if I get her onboard with the stroker build she might not slip back into that mode. Maybe a bottle of wine, music, and a comfy chair in the garage will sway her....

eh, wishful thinking.

Cam is in and timing has been set. I think I'm done for the day. I have a few things to get yetto finish the bottom end. I need the spacers for the girdle and I still need to buy a new oil pan.

I might start working on the top end over the next couple of days but that depends on weekend plans that are out of my control.

Probably the worst part about today was putting in the clips for the wrist pins in the pistons. Those things took some effort. Everything else just takes a bit of time.

20210529_190636.jpg

I'm working on it for a bit today. I put the timing cover. The cover goes on loosely until the balancer goes on otherwise the seal in the timing cover will leak. You also need a good mating surface for the oil pan gasket.

I didn't take any pictures of installing the oil pump and pickup but it's in there. I used a modified piece of EMT to install the pickup in the pump.

I also installed the new oil pan and gasket. I did have to add ARP .120 spacers under the girdle which lifted it enough to clear the rods and crank. By doing that the pan touches the girdle. A slight persuasion with a rubber was all that was needed.

Now I'm ready to work on the top end.

20210605_142433.jpg

20210605_142416.jpg

Installed the new lifters and used the comp cams lube that came with the cam. You have to use a magnet to drop them in.

Painted the head and am getting ready to put it on. Below is another pick of the LS valve Russ put in them as well as opening up the chamber.

20210605_153020.jpg

20210605_151535.jpg

20210605_151543.jpg

20210605_173925.jpg

Looking a bit more complete with the head on. One of the head bolts go into the water jacket so it needs sealant on it.

I need to stop since the next step is to put on the roller rockers and measure for pushrod length. I need to buy pushrod checker and soak the roller rockers at least over night. Once I have the length I need to contact Russ to get them.

I heard I need to remove the baffle from the valve cover but I won't do that until the pushrods and rockers are fully installed.

So I have a few days before any new updates.

20210605_184611.jpg

Question for everyone. I don't want to reuse the camshaft synchronizer from my donor. Since I haven't seen any Mopar replacements what does everyone suggest for a different manufacturer? The current one is Standard.