New guy with a TJ6

I may be futile in this but I'm trying to convince my wife that this would be a great "couples" project. She's not quite on board yet. I mentioned before that she hated the Jeep when I went through the extension portion so if I get her onboard with the stroker build she might not slip back into that mode. Maybe a bottle of wine, music, and a comfy chair in the garage will sway her....

eh, wishful thinking.
I've tried just about everything to get my wife interested in hanging out with me while in the garage as well... I've even offered to get the computer out and set up netflix lol!

I've tried just about everything to get my wife interested in hanging out with me while in the garage as well... I've even offered to get the computer out and set up netflix lol!
My plan hasn't worked yet. I like your idea.

I'm not one to let it sit so I added a little more while waiting for the push rod checker (should get it tomorrow). I had to get another plug for the head and luckily the local OReillys had it. I installed it along with a few parts that won't get in the way of the rocker work that needs to be done.

So far I'm only missing rhe 4 bolts that hold the water pump pulley. Much better than I originally thought. I am reusing a few items from the donor that won't affect performance but doesn't look the best. I don't want it to standout anyway (thus the black paint).

I ordered another Standard camshaft synchronizer. I'll keep the other as a spare. If I get the push rods ordered from Russ I'm hoping to complete the build in a week or so. He still needs to send me the injectors as well.

20210608_202237.jpg

20210608_202255.jpg

20210608_202347.jpg

Reactions: reddvltj
I can't wait to see how this works out. Motor wise, I love the idea of what you are doing, Keeping the ol 6 is a pretty endearing move.

It was actually the easiest choice for me. CA is a PITA for swapping motors so stroking it should allow me to stay under the radar and get it smogged normally. I also wanted to know if the power difference is really that big between stock and a 4.7. No dyno here but from pure experience and feel.

Last edited:
Reactions: GTERDN and kmas0n
Received the push rods today so I put them in and the roller rockers. The rocker cover won't fit with the roller rockers unless I remove the baffle. That's easy enough by prying up on the area with a spot weld then cutting it with the snips.

Next step is to get an oil filter, partially fill the pan with oil then prime the oil pump.

20210616_144241.jpg

20210616_144307.jpg

20210616_144843.jpg

20210616_144857.jpg

Reactions: L J and reddvltj
Received the push rods today so I put them in and the roller rockers. The rocker cover won't fit with the roller rockers unless I remove the baffle. That's easy enough by prying up on the area with a spot weld then cutting it with the snips.

Next step is to get an oil filter, partially fill the pan with oil then prime the oil pump.

View attachment 259728

View attachment 259729

View attachment 259730

View attachment 259731

Have you thought about the Aluminum Valve Covers from RT Off-Road?
I have tried finding specs and/or pics showing the inside, but it was just a thought. It owuld dress up that beautiful motor nicely too.

1623882016882.png

Have you thought about the Aluminum Valve Covers from RT Off-Road?
I have tried finding specs and/or pics showing the inside, but it was just a thought. It owuld dress up that beautiful motor nicely too.
I would change a few parts as well as the color but I don't want it to stand out due to a visual inspection. Not to say a valve cover will make a difference but the least amount of attention the better. I also have to no doubt that after a first trip it won't be a looker any longer.

Reactions: GTERDN and reddvltj
I would change a few parts as well as the color but I don't want it to stand out due to a visual inspection. Not to say a valve cover will make a difference but the least amount of attention the better. I also have to no doubt that after a first trip it won't be a looker any longer.
The black one could be completely blacked out pretty easily and I bet the inspector would never know the difference... :love:

Reactions: Ephry73
Priming the oil pump pushed oil through the system so I buttoned up everything. Finished with the build. The other parts will swap from the one I have in the Jeep except for the injectors. Hopefully I'll have it in by the end of the weekend. My sons are coming over for Father's day to give me a hand.

The real test is to see whether it'll work or not.

20210616_213133.jpg

Back at it again today. Prepping for the swap tomorrow. Snapped a couple of the bolts at the bottom of the manifolds. I need to find replacements.

I'm glad I can put the intake and exhaust manifolds before putting the new engine in. Those center bolts are a pain.

I may not have it running to.orrow but it should be in. My clutch was swapped about 2k ago so I'm going to reuse everything including the flywheel.

20210619_135056.jpg

20210619_140858.jpg

I guess an advantage of getting into it like this is that any parts that should be replaced can be done much easier. I noticed the pulley on the tensioner has a bit of noise when spinning it so I got a new one. That either stops a future squeak or a potential failure.

One thing I hadn't realized until I went through it was how much of a PITA the AC compressor was to get out. I thought it was going to be easier than it was.

Old engine is out. The hoist was just barely able to lift it enough to get it out. Found a broken motor mount so I need to pick one up before it goes back in. I have a few parts to swap from the old to the new but it looks like I have time. Not looking like the stroker will be in today.

20210620_115739.jpg

20210620_120134.jpg

Good things come to those who wait….

After it’s up and running, we always forget the pain.

Nice work Rec.

Good things come to those who wait….

After it’s up and running, we always forget the pain.

Nice work Rec.
Thanks. I know these things are a labor of love sometimes. Certainly a drain on the wallet.

I was able to get the engine in but just the mounts and a couple of bolts to the trans. I'll hook up the rest in the next couple of days, hopefully.

Being Father's day one of my sons came over to help with the work. I'm so grateful both of my sons are willing to help their dad.

20210620_172041.jpg

20210620_185119.jpg

Really enjoying this thread. The stretch and stroker are exactly what I've had in mind for mine when the time comes. Not sure where in SoCal you're located, but would love to see it in person once you have it back together. The rig looks awesome, job well done!

Definitely following along. Have a very similar build planned for the TJ in the next year.