California NorCal Jeep adventures!

So snow started right where the asphalt ended and the dirt began it was mostly ice at that point. around 5500 -6k ft started to get deeper but had a hard crust from the snow / rain the night before. if you stayed in the old ruts it was easy going. Stopped at Plaskett meadows for lunch and had a solid 4-8 inches of snow. continued up FH7. From Plaskett meadows headed towards Anthony's peak and came to a stop around butte creek between RD 207 and 22N26. doubled back to 22N11 and found so really good snow which I followed to around snow basin creek. 22N26 was as deep as there I got stuck on FH7 (Adler springs road) so couldn't make that route. Oddly I am pretty sure I was the only vehicle up there as I was cutting trail in the morning and my tracks hadn't been disturbed. hit a max elevation of about 6800 feet and overall was an excellent day on the trail

20200104_122629.jpg

IMG_5100.jpg

IMG_5102.jpg

IMG_5104.jpg

IMG_5110.jpg

Looks like I should be able to make it. Do we have a time / meet up location?

Reactions: Lonewolf
A possible snag in my plans. On the way to work this morning I developed a coolant leak. spewed coolant all over the engine bay. I degreased/pressure washed it at break this morning. I'm going to pressure test the cooling system at lunch to see if I can find the leak. Everything in the cooling system has been replaced recently, including a new Mopar radiator, except for the water pump. I'm kicking myself now for not changing out the pump while I had everything apart. I suspect the pump is going and leaking coolant out of the weep hole. Will keep you guys posted on my findings today.

• Sad
Reactions: Indy
A possible snag in my plans. On the way to work this morning I developed a coolant leak. spewed coolant all over the engine bay. I degreased/pressure washed it at break this morning. I'm going to pressure test the cooling system at lunch to see if I can find the leak. Everything in the cooling system has been replaced recently, including a new Mopar radiator, except for the water pump. I'm kicking myself now for not changing out the pump while I had everything apart. I suspect the pump is going and leaking coolant out of the weep hole. Will keep you guys posted on my findings today.
CHECK THE CAP!!! I may have done that before....

Reactions: bobthetj03
Thats a easy fix! I had that same problem after replacing my upper radiator hose a month ago. I had to put 2 hose clamps to get it to stop leaking

My bad for putting on cheap Napa worm clamps. I guess they had some quality control issues 2 years ago when I installed the new radiator. I checked the lower hose while I was in there and the lower clamp to the radiator stripped, and I just snugged it a tiny bit to make sure it wasn't loose, so I changed that one too. Seems to be holding pressure now with no leaks, but I need to hose the engine bay down, again, to clean up the coolant and run it to be sure.

No leaks, so good to go. I'll double check everything tomorrow, but added to my tool bag are 4 properly sized hose clamps.
Looks like I should be able to make it. Do we have a time / meet up location?

Thought same place as last run at the Wallmart parking lot in Willows. There is a Chevon on the other side of the freeway we can top off at, 9am.

Unfortunately I don’t think I’m going to make this trip. A lot of crap to do before the end of the month with this move and being out of town all next weekend isn’t helping - I’d love to do a trip again like mid feb when I’m settled though! Need some good wheeling after moving which I hate hah.

• Sad
Reactions: Alex01
Unfortunately I don’t think I’m going to make this trip. A lot of crap to do before the end of the month with this move and being out of town all next weekend isn’t helping - I’d love to do a trip again like mid feb when I’m settled though! Need some good wheeling after moving which I hate hah.

Come on. None of those other things you have going on will compare to this trip. This trip is what you need before you do all that other shit. 4 Jeeps 1 baby diesel

I just can't catch a break guys! Grandbabies visited last weekend and shared a cold with me. Started feeling like crap yesterday, but wanted to wait until today to see how I felt. I feel like dog shit! I'm not going to repeat the Xmas tree run where I was sick, miserable, and antisocial, so I'm out for tomorrow. @Thunderhead, @Alex01 , @Lonewolf , I hope you guys still go, take pics, and let me web wheel vicariously thru you guys. :cry:
@tomtaylz, sorry you can't make it too. Maybe we can try again in February.

I just can't catch a break guys! Grandbabies visited last weekend and shared a cold with me. Started feeling like crap yesterday, but wanted to wait until today to see how I felt. I feel like dog shit! I'm not going to repeat the Xmas tree run where I was sick, miserable, and antisocial, so I'm out for tomorrow. @Thunderhead, @Alex01 , @Lonewolf , I hope you guys still go, take pics, and let me web wheel vicariously thru you guys. :cry:
@tomtaylz, sorry you can't make it too. Maybe we can try again in February.

Feel better Jim, I've had that same cold the last 2 weeks, hell the whole family had it for Christmas.
@Alex01 @Lonewolf just let me know if y'all are still in, I don't think we will make it vary far unless we are balls to the wall with all this new snow but it will be hella fun.

Reactions: bobthetj03