Project "Frankentrailer"

Did I mention RTT?
cargo rack2.jpg

cargo rack4.jpg

The rack kinda takes away from the tub trailer look and is ugly, but necessary for a RTT. I made it to be removable when I don't want it on there.

Are you going to weld the tailgate bolt holes flush? Just an idea, sir!

And maybe you could just have a platform that is two times the length of the trailer (so you can fit a good sized tent on it), but is hinged in the middle so that you can fold the platform in half and it can sit on top of the trailer.
Then, when it's time to go to bed, unfold the platform, construct your tent on the ground, and then just sit the tent on top of the platform (as well, have stake points on the platform for your rain fly)?

Reactions: StG58

And maybe you could just have a platform that is two times the length of the trailer (so you can fit a good sized tent on it), but is hinged in the middle so that you can fold the platform in half and it can sit on top of the trailer.
Then, when it's time to go to bed, unfold the platform, construct your tent on the ground, and then just sit the tent on top of the platform (as well, have stake points on the platform for your rain fly)?
Yep, all kinds of possibilities. Nothing set in stone. Thanks for the ideas.

Reactions: Kyle_W

Go gadget, go! That's a cool idea.

Before I added the front basket, we took the trailer on a shakedown run camp trip to one of our lakes in the Mendocino National Forest(Letts Lake). This is how I found out I needed some extra tongue weight. It would waggy pretty bad at freeway speeds loaded down. Other than that, the shakedown went well.
View attachment 11641
View attachment 11642
View attachment 11643
The tonneau cover really came in handy keeping the dust out of our gear.
View attachment 11644
The pups had a blast!
View attachment 11646
Two happy passengers! Nice job all round. :thumbsup:

Reactions: bobthetj03
Got the trailer tagged, legal and put it to work. Notice the tonneau cover? This was the coolest part of the build for me. Lowranger gave me this tonneau cover from an Explorer Sport Trac. This thing fit the trailer like it was designed for it! It was amazing! I added some tailgate bar brackets to the TJ gate. Used a soft top tailgate bar, and some button snaps along the sides and front. Like a glove!
View attachment 11634
View attachment 11635

Don't park that thing in front of my house overnight...

You just have to love a good project, well executed.

It's a face only a Dad could love, lol! Seriously though, it was a very fun project. It was really great seeing my Jeep friends getting together to help me with it, so without them, this project never would have happened. I'm not done with it though. I still have plans to put an RTT on top and use the trailer for "off the grid" camping. Right now, I have it at work in preparations to bust it back apart and paint it proper. Needs a bit more body work as well.

Reactions: StG58
If I may ask, how did you do those Canyon wheels up like that? Those look fresh & great! That's something I would love to do to mine. Beaitiful job on the trailer, I like that very much.

Thank you. I scuffed the wheel face with a red scotchbrite pad, cleaned it, and masked off the pattern. Sprayed it with Duplicolor wheel paint,and clearcoat.
P1060593.JPG

P1060600.JPG