Sentry Key Immobilizer Module (SKIM) Install / Retrofit

At this point, wouldn't it be easier/cheaper just to go for the Cyclops unit? Looks pretty painless and basically does the same thing.
No it basically doesn't do the same thing. The Cyclops POS is easily defeated just by replacing a relay. You can not defeat the SKIM. You can replace the PCM with a same year non active SKIM function in it after you unplug the module and jack the ignition, but you won't defeat the SKIM and if you keep trying to start it, it will brick on you and off to the dealer you go. None of that is true for the radio relay crap.

Sounds like SKIM is the way to go. Glad Blaine shared that info too. I was under the impression that maybe the earlier TJs didn't have SKIM capability at all. It makes more sense now knowing that it was there in the PCM, it just wasn't active.

IMG_0743.JPG
My 2001 TJ came with antitheft

So if my jeep displays the yellow key light on the dash, I have the immobilizer?? I just bought it and the previous owner said the key had a chip in it. By the way, I got a new key at ace hardware and they plugged into my obd connector and made a new key. It was $80 and it turns on the yellow key light as well. Just new to this jeep thing!! thanks!

I bought the SKIM module and three keys off Amazon for a total of ~$298.00 delivered; I see that the price of these keys has gone up over $3.00 since *I* bought them a couple of weeks ago! Talked to my local Stealership yesterday - he said they would cut the keys for free, and it would be $87.50 to "program" it - is that price pretty much in line with what those of you who have done this retrofit have paid? Me being ~90 minutes from the US-Mexico border, car theft (and especially JEEP theft) is "good business" here, as our resident guru Jerry Bransford can regrettably attest to...

Having grown up in urban New Jersey during the '60's & '70's, I can get on my pulpit and preach the gospel - it's a pretty sickening feeling walking back to (in my case, a friend's) where your vehicle WAS parked and finding ANOTHER vehicle in its place, with NO sign that your vehicle was ever there! You look around about 3 dozen times; hell - you even look UP - Nope; GONE (in 60 seconds). With the popularity of our precious TJ's seeming to see a resurgence, I would URGE each of you who has been putting this (not inexpensive) mod to "go & do likewise, Gents!" Unless of course you happen to own Mr. Peabody's "Wayback Machine", that is (insert Rocky & Bullwinkle cartoon acknowledgement here)...

A big tip o' the hat to the original thread creator and to the original poster who "imported it" to this Forum; kudos to Mr. Blaine as well - one less thing for ME to worry about! Now if I could JUST find someone to exercise FOR me, so *I* could do all the stuff I WANT to do...

Reactions: Chris
Okay - Just ran into a "challenge" - mine being an '04, I've got that intrusive "lever" blocking me from sliding that SKIM unit cleanly over the ignition switch assembly - suggestions?

Appending this "panic post" with some useful info for the group; to wit: If you have the dreaded ignition switch "lever" as *I* do on my '04, you WILL need to unplug the two plugs and remove the Multifunction Switch in order to slip & clip the SKIM Module in place "from the top". No big deal really - 2 more screws to remove, lift off the switch after unplugging, replace after slipping the SKIM into place. Now it's off to the Stealership to hopefully get this operational!

Last edited:
Okay - Just ran into a "challenge" - mine being an '04, I've got that intrusive "lever" blocking me from sliding that SKIM unit cleanly over the ignition switch assembly - suggestions?

Appending this "panic post" with some useful info for the group; to wit: If you have the dreaded ignition switch "lever" as *I* do on my '04, you WILL need to unplug the two plugs and remove the Multifunction Switch in order to slip & clip the SKIM Module in place "from the top". No big deal really - 2 more screws to remove, lift off the switch after unplugging, replace after slipping the SKIM into place. Now it's off to the Stealership to hopefully get this operational!

@psrivats might have some insight on this as he just installed the SKIM on his 05 recently. We'll see if he chimes in!

Meanwhile, back at the ranch...

After getting a quote of $87.50 from the Parts Dept. dude and moving forward with the install, we hit a brick wall; apparently whoever they assigned "in back" in Service to do this had quite the time actually making it happen. 2 hours and $150.00 later, SUCCESS!

It's funny - *I* never really think about a 2004 vehicle as being "old"; hell, it's FIFTEEN model years old, f'er Chrissakes! I'm guessing that they don't get much call for this specific task much; kudos to whoever got it done for his perseverance! One less thing to worry about; all three keys work great! Glad to have this done with factory/OEM parts; being a manual transmission, now it's got TWO theft deterrents as posted above, LOL...

@TheGanzman @Chris I had absolutely no issues at all in my '05. I simply followed the instructions in this thread and it went in without anything obstructing. Sorry I cannot be of any more help.

@TheGanzman if you post photos I'm sure someone here will tell you what needs to be done.

I have a 98 Sport and am thinking of adding this SKIM feature. Have been searching the internet for awhile but still not found the answers for below questions yet. I appreciate anyone who provide the information/knowledge on those.

1. The 4 digits PIN is need for SKIM programing. For those TJ (98 and after) without SKIM from the factory, Is there still the PIN assigned by the Jeep? If so, I should be able to get the PIN from the dealership.

2. Is there only a single SKIM part number (56010209AD ) for all TJs? Or the SKIM part number is model year specific? I want to make sure to order correct SKIM part for my 98 TJ.

3. If anyone here has done the SKIM activation with DRB III scanner, can you share the detail instruction/steps?

Thanks for your time.
Henry

I have a 98 Sport and am thinking of adding this SKIM feature. Have been searching the internet for awhile but still not found the answers for below questions yet. I appreciate anyone who provide the information/knowledge on those.

1. The 4 digits PIN is need for SKIM programing. For those TJ (98 and after) without SKIM from the factory, Is there still the PIN assigned by the Jeep? If so, I should be able to get the PIN from the dealership.

Yes and I believe the only place you can get it is from the dealer.

2. Is there only a single SKIM part number (56010209AD ) for all TJs? Or the SKIM part number is model year specific? I want to make sure to order correct SKIM part for my 98 TJ.

My guy that helps me here has ordered all of them for the various years we've done. I'll ask him today.

3. If anyone here has done the SKIM activation with DRB III scanner, can you share the detail instruction/steps?

Thanks for your time.
Henry
I've never done it, Mike has done it many times with his DRBs. I don't believe that the III will do all of them. He has 3 of them and he shows up with the one that is needed when the time comes to do one. I'll get that answer as well.

@mrblaine

I searched the "DRB 3 feature and menu" and found below functions listed. I hope it can be done with it.

Miscellaneous – SKM​
There are 5 miscellaneous functions available:
• PCM Replace - This function is to be used when a PCM (Gasoline Engine
Controller) has been replaced. The Engine will start and stall until this function is
performed.
• ECM Replace - This function is to be used when an ECM (Diesel Engine Controller)
has been replaced. The Engine will start and stall until this function is performed.
• SKIM Replaced
• Program Ignitions Key(s)
• Erase ALL Current Ign. Keys
• Manual SKIM Functions – Opens a sub menu with the following functions:
• View PCM VIN
• View SKIM VIN
• View SKIM Country Code
• Reset SKIM module
• SKIM Key Tester – to access the tester, it must be attached BEFORE attempting
access from this menu

@mrblaine

I searched the "DRB 3 feature and menu" and found below functions listed. I hope it can be done with it.

Miscellaneous – SKM​
There are 5 miscellaneous functions available:
• PCM Replace - This function is to be used when a PCM (Gasoline Engine
Controller) has been replaced. The Engine will start and stall until this function is
performed.
• ECM Replace - This function is to be used when an ECM (Diesel Engine Controller)
has been replaced. The Engine will start and stall until this function is performed.
• SKIM Replaced
• Program Ignitions Key(s)
• Erase ALL Current Ign. Keys
• Manual SKIM Functions – Opens a sub menu with the following functions:
• View PCM VIN
• View SKIM VIN
• View SKIM Country Code
• Reset SKIM module
• SKIM Key Tester – to access the tester, it must be attached BEFORE attempting
access from this menu
Yes, he uses the DRBIII to do our retrofits and repair. The PIN has to be requested from the dealer with proof of ownership. There are at least two SKIM module part numbers. One for each of the two different communication buses.

@mrblaine,

Thanks, it's good to know there were different SKIM part numbers. Please let me know the both part numbers if you have them (much better if you have the exact part number for my 98 TJ Sport). I looked at one of the manual which provide the repair information about the PCM (JTEC+) for TJ and XJ, in that document, it only mentioned the CCD bus used by SKIM to communicate with other modules.

I went to the Jeep dealership with my registration card. The manager at the part department handed me a paper after verified my registration card and ID and told me there is no PIN assigned. On the paper, it read "Key Code Inquiry Results". It printed my VIN and "-NA-" for the PIN. The paper also prints a code for "Ignition" and they told me that is used for cutting the key. But it does not look like that I thought. I thought the key code for cutting is 7 digits number. Is that right? The key code on the paper does have 4 digits following an alphabet.

I also asked the SKIM part number. There is no part number on the record from his system for the years until 2003. The one show up for 2003 was the one mentioned here 56010209AD.

I went to the Jeep dealership with my registration card. The manager at the part department handed me a paper after verified my registration card and ID and told me there is no PIN assigned. On the paper, it read "Key Code Inquiry Results". It printed my VIN and "-NA-" for the PIN. The paper also prints a code for "Ignition" and they told me that is used for cutting the key. But it does not look like that I thought. I thought the key code for cutting is 7 digits number. Is that right? The key code on the paper does have 4 digits following an alphabet.

I also asked the SKIM part number. There is no part number on the record from his system for the years until 2003. The one show up for 2003 was the one mentioned here 56010209AD.

So, have others installed the SKIM on older TJ's successfully? Maybe try a different dealer?

I'm looking for the best dealer to use in my area. Mine is a 2001, so I'm hoping as mrblaine says they work on all of them back to '98.

So, have others installed the SKIM on older TJ's successfully? Maybe try a different dealer?

I'm looking for the best dealer to use in my area. Mine is a 2001, so I'm hoping as mrblaine says they work on all of them back to '98.

I haven't even talked to the dealer yet because my default assumption is always that they'll be useless. But in my research so far:

1. I HAVE found the SKIM in the factory service manual for the 99 TJ. It's included in wiring diagrams as well as a short chapter on servicing the system.

2. I HAVE NOT been able to find any reference to the SKIM in the parts manual for 97-99 TJ, having searched for "SKIM", "sentry" and "immobilizer" as well as manually searching the sections for the electrical, steering column, wiper/lock cylinder and keys, instrument panel.

3. I HAVE found the gray-head sentry keys listed for 99-2000 Wranglers, 5013807AA.

3. I HAVE NOT been able to find a part number for a SKIM module for a pre-02 Wrangler by searching the web.

Last edited: