Sentry Key Immobilizer Module (SKIM) Install / Retrofit

Well dropped my jeep off at the dealer for SKIM install. The person I talked to on the phone sounded like he knew how everything worked to add SKIM. I show up and the service rep is like we don't know if this will work or not and you'll still have to pay labor if it doesn't. I'm like why the heck didn't you say that when I scheduled.the appointment!?!? So what do you think are my odds they get it figured out?

Last edited:
Well dropped my jeep off at the dealer for SKIM install. The person I talked to on the phone sounded like he knew how everything worked to add SKIM. I show up and the service rep is like we don't know if this will work or not and you'll still have to pay labor if it doesn't. I'm like why the heck didn't you say that when I scheduled.the appointment!?!? So what do you think a little my odds they get it figured out?
If only you knew someone with a DRB who had done this before, if only.

If only you knew someone with a DRB who had done this before, if only.
I know!! I'm trying to get it done while it is my daily driver. I recall you sounding surprised the dealer knew what to do. If dealer can't do it, it will be worth the scheduled downtime to mail it to you though because I am super paranoid parking it.

I know!! I'm trying to get it done while it is my daily driver. I recall you sounding surprised the dealer knew what to do. If dealer can't do it, it will be worth the scheduled downtime to mail it to you though because I am super paranoid parking it.
I can't possible fuck it up unless I can get my hands on it.

Dammit, I told you that the cross section was too thin on the planet gears and you needed to increase that or decrease the axle diameter.

1621618370199.png

• Love
Reactions: B00mb00m
Dammit, I told you that the cross section was too thin on the planet gears and you needed to increase that or decrease the axle diameter.

View attachment 253922
WOWWWWWWWW!! For a gearbox nerd this is like a beautiful work of art. Is this on a some sort of excavator? Something you own? I'd have to speculate dynamic jam to just explode the planets like that. I mean WOW. DId i say WOW!? Whats super interesting is the planets blew up while the carrier pins help strong.

WOWWWWWWWW!! For a gearbox nerd this is like a beautiful work of art. Is this on a some sort of excavator? Something you own? I'd have to speculate dynamic jam to just explode the planets like that. I mean WOW. DId i say WOW!? Whats super interesting is the planets blew up while the carrier pins help strong.
No idea what it is. Venturing a guess that it is the drive gear on a bulldozer track.

Well that did not go well at the dealer, despite GREAT assistance from Blaine. Thankfully the dealer did not charge me for their efforts. I will be shipping to Blaine.

Reactions: Irun
The dealer has access to the PIN needed to program the SKIM and once that is input into the module, it can't be pulled back out or erased with the DRB. The PIN is tied to the VIN.

When my 04 was the subject of an attempted theft, the dealer tossed all the take-out parts in the rig. In that pile was a new SKIM module which we have tried to program to the same vehicle as a spare or to another to see if we could with no success. We are guessing the tech fat fingered the PIN, it didn't match the VIN, bricked the SKIM.
I got the parts and tools but stuck with the PIN. All the dealers told me no PIN for my 98 since the SKIM was not installed from the factory.

Last edited:
I got the parts and tools but stuck with the PIN. All the dealers told me no PIN for my 98 since the SKIM was not installed from the factory.
If it has the plug for the SKIM module in the harness at the steering column, it is able to have SKIM installed. Your dealers are being dumb.

If it has the plug for the SKIM module in the harness at the steering column, it is able to have SKIM installed. Your dealers are being dumb.
Yup. As Blaine knows because he added SKIM when the dealer couldn't, I went through the same thing.

Also be aware, none of my JEEP keys worked. Blaine had the aftermarket ones which are functioning great. Let us know if your OEM keys work.

Yes, I agree. I visited 3 dealerships in person. They showed me their computer and it has only the key code for cutting the physical key. Do you know any dealer who could provide the PIN? So I can contact them.

Yes, I agree. I visited 3 dealerships in person. They showed me their computer and it has only the key code for cutting the physical key. Do you know any dealer who could provide the PIN? So I can contact them.
The 98 does not have a PIN assigned. You assign it when you use the DRB. If you want my guy to tell you how to do it, send me a PM and I'll get you his number.

• USA Proud
Reactions: CharlesHS
Yup. As Blaine knows because he added SKIM when the dealer couldn't, I went through the same thing.

Also be aware, none of my JEEP keys worked. Blaine had the aftermarket ones which are functioning great. Let us know if your OEM keys work.
We are going to try the ones ending in AC here soon so we can get back to the Jeep logo keys. If not, aftermarket it is.

The 98 does not have a PIN assigned. You assign it when you use the DRB. If you want my guy to tell you how to do it, send me a PM and I'll get you his number.
Thanks, that’s very helpful to confirm my guessing that PIN was created ourself for the 98. Sorry, forgive me, how to send a PM? Thank a lot!

We are going to try the ones ending in AC here soon so we can get back to the Jeep logo keys. If not, aftermarket it is.
The AC was what my keys were. 5018699AC

Does anyone know the difference between these two SKIM modules? I have a 2002 and it lists both part numbers on the mopar site for my model year. It appears the AD covers later years but both parts overlap my model year. I just want to confirm that I can use the AD model since it's less expensive.

Immobilizer Module
56010209AB

Immobilizer Module
56010209AD

Also it appears that 5018699AA is the best key to purchase based on this thread What is the correct part number for a SKIM key? from @eblank8

Does anyone know the difference between these two SKIM modules? I have a 2002 and it lists both part numbers on the mopar site for my model year. It appears the AD covers later years but both parts overlap my model year. I just want to confirm that I can use the AD model since it's less expensive.

Immobilizer Module
56010209AB

Immobilizer Module
56010209AD

Also it appears that 5018699AA is the best key to purchase based on this thread What is the correct part number for a SKIM key? from @eblank8
Any update on which part number worked for you?