Slow 05 LJ Build

Or.... Maybe the Mamba MR1X. I've never been too keen on running spacers but as long as I know that I've torqued them correctly, plenty of people do it right? It would be the closest I'll get to Moabs because I refuse to go above a 15" wheel

Screenshot_20210114-181537.png

I really didn't think finding wheels would be so difficult. The market is just saturated with black wheels, I'm leaning towards the Q-tec Rubicon Xtremes in either gunmetal or silver, or the silver Mamba MR1X again. I wish Q-tec made their Moab wheels in a 15"

Hey seabass - following this build and great progress so far. If you need any reason to spend more money, the Currie lift paired with the RS9000 Ranchos is great (though I have nothing to compare to). I think you are tracking correctly on getting the things you need though before replacing the Zone lift.

As a side night, I recently upgraded the LJ to BMB front pads with centric rotors and it is unbelievable how much better it performs from stock. If you ever find yourself lacking confidence in the braking department after the recent changes, certainly look there.

If you don't mind me asking - were are you located in NC?

Reactions: seabass
Hey seabass - following this build and great progress so far. If you need any reason to spend more money, the Currie lift paired with the RS9000 Ranchos is great (though I have nothing to compare to). I think you are tracking correctly on getting the things you need though before replacing the Zone lift.

As a side night, I recently upgraded the LJ to BMB front pads with centric rotors and it is unbelievable how much better it performs from stock. If you ever find yourself lacking confidence in the braking department after the recent changes, certainly look there.

If you don't mind me asking - were are you located in NC?
Thank you! I'd definitely love to get the Currie lift, I think I'm just to the point of piecing it together slowly or doing a hybrid approach.

I have the Centric rotors that I'm putting on probably next week, paired with Centric pads. I had already bought the pads when I learned that you can get BMB pads for stock calipers. Next brake job for sure!

I'm in High Point, so we're not far from each other. I really like what you've done with your LJ, and I'm jealous that it's silver. I didn't realize how hard it was to keep black vehicles looking good!

Ah - that explains the snow earlier this month you posted about. Yes - after two black vehicles in the past, and countless days of paint correction, I avoid it all cost though it's hard to beat the looks of black (just don't get to close).

Regarding headlights - are you opposed to some cheap knockoff's from Amazon. Not sure if you have upgraded but it is one of the best things I have done for less then $100. Well that and the Alien sun shade. Hard to beat that in the NC summers.

Ah - that explains the snow earlier this month you posted about. Yes - after two black vehicles in the past, and countless days of paint correction, I avoid it all cost though it's hard to beat the looks of black (just don't get to close).

Regarding headlights - are you opposed to some cheap knockoff's from Amazon. Not sure if you have upgraded but it is one of the best things I have done for less then $100. Well that and the Alien sun shade. Hard to beat that in the NC summers.
That's it, don't get too close and don't look at it under direct sunlight!

Not completely opposed to cheap knockoffs, lights have just gone down a little bit on my list now. I have a couple of other things to take care of first.

Those do look really good.. you've even got the next set of tires that I want on them too..
Thank you. Wheel choice is very subjective. Everyone has a different opinion of what looks good. It's a good thing we have so many choices.
I think a silver wheel would look great on your black LJ.

Thank you. Wheel choice is very subjective. Everyone has a different opinion of what looks good. It's a good thing we have so many choices.
I think a silver wheel would look great on your black LJ.
Whatever I do go with, I'm about 90% sure it will be silver. I'm really back and forth between 3.. yours, the Qtec Rubicon Xtremes in silver, and the Mamba MR1x in silver. I like the factory look of the latter two. The other 10% is the Method 304 in black.. for some reason I just like them, and they don't make a bare aluminum. The 301 comes silver but it's a 15x7

Reactions: DuncLJ
I messed up the threads pretty good on the track bar bolt when I went to center my axle, luckily I had a spare 10mm laying around that works for now. I ordered the ARP bolt and flag nut from @mrblaine to hopefully fix the issue for good.

I plan on doing some work this weekend: finishing up my front brakes, checking torque on everything, rechecking my toe-in and centering my steering wheel.

PXL_20210121_231423107.jpg

Last edited:
@DuncLJ are the bolts around the ring removable?
Yes the bolts are easily removable.
The ring is not removable. It is a 1 piece cast wheel.
The bolts would be easy to replace if 1 fell out or was damaged, or if the ring got buggered up with trail rash, it would be easy to remove the bolts and touch up the ring with spray paint. You wouldn't have to do as much masking. 😆

Yes the bolts are easily removable.
The ring is not removable. It is a 1 piece cast wheel.
The bolts would be easy to replace if 1 fell out or was damaged, or if the ring got buggered up with trail rash, it would be easy to remove the bolts and touch up the ring with spray paint. You wouldn't have to do as much masking. 😆
That's a good point! I figured the wheel was all one piece but I like that the bolts are removable.

Got some work done yesterday. Did my front brakes, finally got my axle about perfectly centered, checked the toe and centered my steering wheel. I replaced the 8.8 bolts that I used for the front upper control arms years ago when I didn't know any better with 10.9's. I tried to adjust/align my headlights and the passenger side up/down adjustment is stripped 😡

I decided to hold off on wheels for the time being.. the responsible thing to do is spend that money on quality functional parts that I need like control arms. In hopes of getting out to Uwharrie this summer, I also want some sway bar disconnects. I understand the Antirock is the way to go but for how much I wheel I can spend a fraction of that cost right now and be just fine.

Bernie is as impatient as I am with the speed of my build.

bnNs-QIQs_05883e48-2c48-4050-b8a5-9edeb214f8d1~2.jpg

Last edited:
I got a free high-strength track bar bolt with this expensive-ass chapstick that I ordered!!

Reminded me of that one time the Snap-On guy threw in a free tool box for buying a 1/4" ratchet from him.

Thanks Blaine!

PXL_20210126_215607050.jpg