TJ tubs for all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
If they were close to me I would buy one to make something like this

88A97DE7-03BD-4A59-8917-9ED2FD7EAF7D.png

I'm going to build a rack on the back of my Dodge truck (I did one before to haul the front half of a Rambler). Pretty sure the TJ tub will fit without a problem. If it works out, I'd be willing to haul your tub to your friend's place, as long as there was enough manpower to unload it.
I'm sure you already considered this but, it would likely fit perfectly on a uhaul utility trailer.

I'm going to build a rack on the back of my Dodge truck (I did one before to haul the front half of a Rambler). Pretty sure the TJ tub will fit without a problem. If it works out, I'd be willing to haul your tub to your friend's place, as long as there was enough manpower to unload it.
And this is why this forum is so cool........

Went back today and found three '98 tubs that would all do just fine. A couple of clean '97 tubs, as well. Question: I've read somewhere along the way that there were some differences in the '97 TJ that were actually carryovers from the YJ production. If that's true, would any of those differences be anything that was associated with the tub, or affect the way something is attached to the tub (wiper motor, for example)? Just wanted to know, in case I chose a '97 tub. There was a nice 2000 model there, as well. Only saw maybe three that were the '03-'06 style firewall.

Also, I found a Dana 44 with disc brakes. Unfortunately, it has a bent axle tube (passenger side). Didn't ask what they want for it. If it was cheap enough, would it be worth attempting a repair? Can they be repaired?

Last edited:
Reactions: reddvltj
Went back today and found three '98 tubs that would all do just fine. A couple of clean '97 tubs, as well. Question: I've read somewhere along the way that there were some differences in the '97 TJ that were actually carryovers from the YJ production. If that's true, would any of those differences be anything that was associated with the tub, or have affect the way something is attached to the tub (wiper motor, for example)? Just wanted to know, in case I chose a '97 tub. There was a nice 2000 model there, as well. Only saw maybe three that were the '03-'06 style firewall.

Also, I found a Dana 44 with disc brakes. Unfortunately, it has a bent axle tube (passenger side). Didn't ask what they want for it. If it was cheap enough, would it be worth attempting a repair? Can they be repaired?
IIRC it was the '96 production dates (so early release '97) that have something different, but I'm not sure if it had anything to do with the tub.

Rust free, what a dream... Here is a Midwest Jeep... In good shape, mind you. You guys out west don't know how did you have it. This is part of my tub replacement project...
IMG_20210313_194134422.jpg
IMG_20210313_194109041.jpg
IMG_20210313_194051914_HDR.jpg
IMG_20210313_194047186_HDR.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20210313_194143773.jpg
    IMG_20210313_194143773.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 56
Reactions: Ephry73 and Squatch
The pics of the yellow tub torque boxes in my first post are of the 2000, IIRC. Gonna try and load more pics here, but computer is being slow. If they don't show up, I'll post 'em again when the 'puter is behaving. Floors are dirty, but rust-free. To be honest, this
tub is probably the best one there. I'll likely pick up one of the '98 tubs, just because. Psychologically, it just makes me feel better to have the frame and tub match in years (ridiculous, I know, but there you have it). ;)

IMG_1609.JPG
IMG_1610.JPG
IMG_1613.JPG
IMG_1616.JPG

IMG_1608.JPG

Last edited:
Sold off one of my cars a week ago, thereby creating some much needed room for one of the rust-free tubs. Got up this morning, headed over to the yard and perused the inventory for the third time in as many weeks. I finally did decide on one, and paid for it. Won't be picking it up for a week, or so, due to some scheduling issues. Doesn't stop me from being just all kinds of stoked about acquiring a truly rust-free tub, however! (y)

Sold off one of my cars a week ago, thereby creating some much needed room for one of the rust-free tubs. Got up this morning, headed over to the yard and perused the inventory for the third time in as many weeks. I finally did decide on one, and paid for it. Won't be picking it up for a week, or so, due to some scheduling issues. Doesn't stop me from being just all kinds of stoked about acquiring a truly rust-free tub, however! (y)
This thread is worthless without pics

Will provide "proof of purchase" upon pick-up/delivery of the product! Until then, it's the far-right yellow one in the second pic of post #1, and the torque box pics (#3 and #4) of the same post. It's a 2000 model year. I was torn between that and a Chili Pepper Red '98 tub.

Reactions: reddvltj
The pics of the yellow tub torque boxes in my first post are of the 2000, IIRC. Gonna try and load more pics here, but computer is being slow. If they don't show up, I'll post 'em again when the 'puter is behaving. Floors are dirty, but rust-free. To be honest, this
tub is probably the best one there. I'll likely pick up one of the '98 tubs, just because. Psychologically, it just makes me feel better to have the frame and tub match in years (ridiculous, I know, but there you have it). ;)

View attachment 234106View attachment 234107View attachment 234108View attachment 234109

View attachment 234110
I would do the same thing, buy the same year tub you have, then you know for sure there won't be any issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.