Turbo 4 Liter

I just got an account for this thread. I've taken my TJ from 60k to180K and still going strong. I've been wanting to make more power for a while now and I really wanted to turbo it. I got it when I was 19 in the Air Force and The Fast and The Furious had just come out:LOL:. I'm 37 now, still have the jeep and I wanna do it. Stuff like this is incredible to me. Before you had to "know a guy", the barrier to do "scary" things on your car was so high. I have been dreading having to understand megasquirt, only to realize I could pick the wrong system all together then spend 2 years trying to make it work... Now people all over who have done it just share information in a semi-permanent public space because... community? Epic. Really can't wait to see how this build goes and I can't say how much I appreciate this thread being current. lol, I've gone through a bunch this week

Seeing all this stuff now I was wondering if the pairing of the aluminum performance head (https://www.edelbrock.com/performer-jeep-4-0l-cylinder-head-50169.html) was considered? It wasn't mentioned so I assume you kept the stock one. So far, that head has seemed like the most reasonable "bolt-on" for power but wasn't sure if it was going to be counter productive for turbo-ing...something about messing with the compression ratio...with the edelbrock head supposedly having increased flow I assumed that would be good for turbo applications...but now im not sure.

Reactions: harbiison
Looks like he's using the stock head for now because cheap/easy but he mentioned a stroker build in the future, so that might be a good time to consider one. For now, never opening up the motor and making power seems like an easy way to go.

It has a stock head for now. I tried to order the Edelbrock head, but it is out of stock everywhere. I even called Edelbrock and they said April (this was back in December), but it is still out of stock. It's probably not a big seller for them based on the age of these engines and the price point.

Where is the heat exchanger for the intercooler mounted. I'd love to see some more detailed pics.
I mounted a Setrab heat exchanger in front of the AC condenser. The intercooler is above the valve cover in the back. It's just a cheap eBay unit, but it works okay and doesn't leak. The pump is a Bosch electric unit that is commonly used for air to water setups. I mounted that in the driver's front wheel well. I custom made the surge tank to fit behind the driver's side headlight, and relocated the horn. I'm planning on taking some better and more detailed pictures soon. I also want to do a write up on the Infinity and my findings. I think it's a far better option than Megasquirt or HP Tuners for forced induction.

Very much looking forward to the further write up. And good info about the head. Next time I see them up for sale I'm going to snag one just for future use.

I spent a few hours on the dyno tonight and got it dialed in a bit more. I ran out of injector pretty quick so I ended up changing the injectors out for some 65 lb/hr Mopar units. It was warm here today almost 90 degrees F on the dyno so power was suffering. It made just over 300 whp at around 10psi. I didn't really want to push it harder right now as I have a trip planned in a few weeks. I'll probably leave it here for a bit until it gets boring then I'll turn it up again.

20210520_170942.jpg

20210520_172450.jpg

When you get a chance could you post the turbo specs. I assume a ~.60 A/R? Also curious what injectors you went with.
Garrett GT3071R
.50 on the compressor and .83 on the turbine.

I was running stock Gen 5 Viper injectors, but they flow significantly less than advertised. I switched to Mopar P4510529 injectors and they are right at 65 lb/hr. They will go in our fuel rails with a short spacer and have the Uscar connector.

I was really hoping it was going to be externally wastegated 😄

That is dope man. You aren't even close to where they turbo is happy at 10psi. I'm sure there is another 50-100whp in it at least.

Reactions: NashvilleTJ
As promised here are some pics of the Turbo setup. I am still running the stock exhaust manifold and the stock y-pipe with the cats. I cut the y pipe after the y and welded a v-band to it. The up-pipe is 2.5 inch and the down pipe is 3 inch all the way out the back.
Don't judge the welds on the intercooler. That's the way it came from eBay lol.

20210520_172008.jpg

20210520_172047.jpg

20210520_172305.jpg

20210520_172112.jpg

20210520_172344.jpg

20210520_172215.jpg

Last edited:
I love it. You are making me reconsider finding a local tuner shop and having them fab me something up. I've still got an HX40 sitting in my closet from my old shit beater that needs a new I6 home. You said you are going to talk about tuning with the Infinity at some point down the road, right? I used to help my buddy tube Power FCs if you know what those are and picked up a thing or two, but really need to sit down and learn a lot.

It's it just the exhaust supporting the turbo or is there bracing I'm missing?

I love it. You are making me reconsider finding a local tuner shop and having them fab me something up. I've still got an HX40 sitting in my closet from my old shit beater that needs a new I6 home. You said you are going to talk about tuning with the Infinity at some point down the road, right? I used to help my buddy tube Power FCs if you know what those are and picked up a thing or two, but really need to sit down and learn a lot.

It's it just the exhaust supporting the turbo or is there bracing I'm missing?
I thought about doing a Holset, but I had this Garrett unit laying around and it is actually a really well sized turbo for the old 4.0.
Yeah I'm undecided how to cover the Infinity topic. It's so involved it probably deserves it's own thread. I really think it should be a kit that people who are using forced induction should consider. It has so many advantages over the other options and the price is not crazy different than like HP. I've tuned a lot of stuff over the years. I used to do it full time as my job, but now I just do it for fun.
The turbo has a bracket that bolts to the block below the alternator.

It's a very appropriately sized turbo for the application and you can't beat already having it in your possession. I want me some HX40 because also already in my possession, and I lean a little bit more towards inappropriately sized turbos 😆

Not sure there would be a lot of people interested in a future Infinity tuning thread on here, but I would eat it up! I wish you were closer. I'd love to learn up close and personal. You said the Infinity supports aftermarket knock sensor? I didn't even know that was a thing.

On my earlier style TJ, I have a distributer and a/c compressor on that side of the motor, so the turbo sitting there would be a little harder.

It's a very appropriately sized turbo for the application and you can't beat already having it in your possession. I want me some HX40 because also already in my possession, and I lean a little bit more towards inappropriately sized turbos 😆

Not sure there would be a lot of people interested in a future Infinity tuning thread on here, but I would eat it up! I wish you were closer. I'd love to learn up close and personal. You said the Infinity supports aftermarket knock sensor? I didn't even know that was a thing.

On my earlier style TJ, I have a distributer and a/c compressor on that side of the motor, so the turbo sitting there would be a little harder.
Yeah, we built a Viper a while back that had twin 98's on it. Built for the half mile made over 3k to the wheels. So I am somewhat familiar with the inappropriate turbo disorder. This one is nice as it spools up fully below 2000 rpm.

The knock sensor is a stock Chrysler unit that they use on everything. I think the number was 5033316AB it fits the Hemi's and stuff. The AEM has the ability to tune the sensor frequency to accurately determine knock from background noise. It can also determine the cylinder that is knocking based on the firing order. It can then pull timing and or add fuel to either the knocking cylinder or all the cylinders. Pretty neat stuff. HP can't even read a knock sensor on our PCM's. Later JTEC got knock sensors, but I don't think the programming is in there on HP.

You could put it on the driver's side maybe. Custom intake manifold and a nice turbo manifold that the turbo can sit right on would be trick.

Reactions: SkylinesSuck
I worked on my custom shifter a bit today and finished getting it installed. I also made a new bronze bushing to replace the plastic shifter bushing that was looking a bit tired. I reduced the shift throw by 25 percent. It fits way better with the console. I no longer have binding issues when it is in 2nd or 4th. Very crisp shifting.

20210309_161209.jpg

20210309_161414.jpg