Turbo vs engine swap

Turbos on Jeeps are a total waste of time and money. So many many people talk about cheep on this topic witch include parts and components and not labor. The number one motor used today in hot rods, classics or any special construction today is a Chev LS. The number one motor in a Jeep for any purpose is a Chev LS.

Here's a 2.4 in a 97 TJ.

https://www.jeepforum.com/threads/srt4-engine-going-in-our-1997-jeep-wrangler.1360390/
Turbos on Jeeps are a total waste of time and money. So many many people talk about cheep on this topic witch include parts and components and not labor. The number one motor used today in hot rods, classics or any special construction today is a Chev LS. The number one motor in a Jeep for any purpose is a Chev LS.

While I won't argue that the LS is a good engine there are other options.

Same could be said for any engine swap. Behind every $500 LS swap is $5k in labor.

An LS has its limitations. To get into the 5 sec 1/4mile ET's in a TJ, you are gonna have to go with the tried and true big block Chevy with twin turbos.

Anyone ever seen any dyno sheets of any internal mods on a 2.5?
I know it has been discussed how engine add /bolt ons make a bit more power until the PCM adjusts and takes it back to stock tune levels. What improvements can be made with a tune alone? Still not a cheap option.

Modding an n/a 4 banger for the kind of power you won't yield the results you are looking for. Can you improve it? Sure, a bit. 35hp might even be attainable, but at significant cost and it won't be in the part of the rpm range you'll want it.

And the whole PCM adjusting away the power mods thing is a commonly spread piece of "internet knowledge" perpetuated by people who don't know how the PCM works based on only a kernel of truth.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wildman and Jezza
Like the power. Hate the smell of diesel.

I'll have to admit it's the years in the military & then being a truck driver that I like the smell of diesel but not so much the exhaust smell.

You got to build it to suit YOU. Don't listen to the rest of us, do it how you like.

Reactions: Gollywomper
I'll have to admit it's the years in the military & then being a truck driver that I like the smell of diesel but not so much the exhaust smell.

You got to build it to suit YOU. Don't listen to the rest of us, do it how you like.

So true. I have a lot of work to do on the suspension. Need to put joints on the short arms I had made. The some foxs and an outboard project. That will keep me occupied for a long time. Maybe I will have an idea on which way I want to go by then.

Reactions: RINC and Wildman
That is a reasonably good quality new unit, of course if you are looking to do it more on the cheap you can get a take off OEM for around $100.

I am admittedly very under knowledged when it comes to forced induction, where could I find an oem take off for this turbo, if I do eventually take this route, I just want to make sure I do it right.

Why not do both? They make beautiful music together.

Mustangengineturbo.png

Reactions: NashvilleTJ