Well my OBA was finally ran this afternoon after putting on a new 92" belt. Its pushing oil out of the hose. My guess is the hole I sealed with gasket maker failed or didn't seal enough and is allowing oil in front of the pistons and is being pushed thru the system. I should have tapped it and sealed with a grub screw instead. I'll take it apart soon and diagnose
20191031_171311.jpg

• Sad
Reactions: DrDmoney
Ive been thinking about this all day. I'm starting to think I overfilled it with oil. Though I havent dug into yet. I ran it for a few minutes, and it's more of a light spray when running. I've also developed a squeal at startup and I know it's my new 92.3" belt is a hair too long. When I replace the belt with a 91.5" I plan on emptying the compressor thru the fill plug. The residual oil should still keep it happy and lubed and my oiler should keep any excess down.

Last edited:
I think my theory was right. Swapped belts today and drained it while I had things apart. The compressor should be lubed enough with simply the oiler now. The amount being sprayed out is very very small and should diminish since there is probably oil in the line still. I swapped rocker switches too, I put one from OTTRAW in as the blue from my ebay switch didn't match. This one says air compressor vs just compressor. I also found a moment to put the new flares on!

20191103_164707.jpg
20191103_164718.jpg
20191103_164819.jpg

20191103_164412.jpg
20191103_163612.jpg
20191103_164600.jpg

Tested the OBA finally. I lowered my tire to 8 psi, and it took 70 seconds to fill back up to 25 psi at about 2100 RPM. I dont recall timing my CO2 but this seems like a solid fill time :)

20191105_170933.jpg

20191105_171100.jpg

20191105_171214.jpg

The compressor gets extremely hot, which I'm not surprised, but I may need to rethink my line choice come summer. I got the hose from HF and I recall the bag saying 175°. So time will tell...

Tested the OBA finally. I lowered my tire to 8 psi, and it took 70 seconds to fill back up to 25 psi at about 2100 RPM. I dont recall timing my CO2 but this seems like a solid fill time
That’s a very solid fill time. I’m at about 50 sec for that fill on my CO2.
Really nice work.

Reactions: tworley
Last post about the OBA. I was looking thru the oiler manual and found its adjustable based on CFM. 5-30 cfm requires 8 drops of oil per minute , quite the range. I tuned it tonight which was roughly about 1/2 open on the adjuster. I'll have to keep a close eye on the oil level during the wheeling season, but seems like a rather small maintenance item. Just some gee-whiz information. Now that it is tuned correctly the compressor should be nice and happy!

Reactions: Igoo65
Great build tworley. Still love the poison spyder fenders?
I wish I would have saved for just another month and gotten the Genright aluminum highlines. Nothing against poison spyder, the quality is great, the welds look fantastic. Its just that the steel adds almost 30 lbs to the front end. Factor in the steel winch cable and thats 60+ lbs I have up front.

Reactions: kmas0n
I know what you mean about weight! My Jeep is getting pretty heavy with all the steel accessories I have put on. I am really starting to think about changing some of them to aluminum as the wallet permits.

Reactions: tworley and jjvw
Also ran to the junkyard this morning for a couple things. One being a new rear diff cover. My current one has a pretty good sized dent. This one came off the front of a 99 ram 1500. Its 3/16" thick. I'll replace it when the 5.13s go in which could be happening in the next couple of months.
20191116_131647.jpg
20191116_131624.jpg

Also ran to the junkyard this morning for a couple things. One being a new rear diff cover. My current one has a pretty good sized dent. This one came off the front of a 99 ram 1500. Its 3/16" thick. I'll replace it when the 5.13s go in which could be happening in the next couple of months.
View attachment 125268View attachment 125269
Is that lower fill hole going to affect your fluid level? Or is that optical illusions

View attachment 125268View attachment 125269
This is good info. I went through three different aftermarket diff covers, due to trackbar interference. I ultimately had to come back to the stock cover, mated with a Warn lower half diff skid. Adding this would give me a little more cover strength. (y)

Reactions: tworley and jjvw
Found these later year TJ seats for $100. Supposedly they only have 12k miles of butt time.
20191117_115411.jpg

Have new heating pads on the way for my existing seat heaters as well as 1.5" to raise them back up to the 97-02 level. My current drivers seat is crumbling apart after 22 years and 130k miles.

You've been having some nice finds - I may have to follow your lead on the diff cover - I wouldn't mind stouting up the front one.