Ultimate camping and towing rig

All this 19.5 tire talk, @toximus are you sure you shouldn't just order the F450 with 19.5's?

It's hard to say without knowing what I don't know. All of the actual weights I've been given are within spec for SRW. Technically within spec for 16s on the trailer too but I see so many bad stories about 16s. In fact, they say I could go up several model sizes and still be fine with the truck. Talking to other owners, people seem happy with SRW with their's too.

What I've learned is that since the early 2000s, the capability of trucks has doubled making DRW not always needed anymore.

It's hard to say without knowing what I don't know. All of the actual weights I've been given are within spec for SRW. Technically within spec for 16s on the trailer too but I see so many bad stories about 16s. In fact, they say I could go up several model sizes and still be fine with the truck. Talking to other owners, people seem happy with SRW with their's too.

What I've learned is that since the early 2000s, the capability of trucks has doubled making DRW not always needed anymore.
Just figured I'd ask, the tight turning radius of the F450 would be nice too. But it's all the same engine so if you don't need the payload and don't want to deal with the added width the SRW is a great choice and since it's like mine I know you're going to like it.

Reactions: reddvltj
Just figured I'd ask, the tight turning radius of the F450 would be nice too. But it's all the same engine so if you don't need the payload and don't want to deal with the added width the SRW is a great choice and since it's like mine I know you're going to like it.

I expect to be right at the limit for payload on the truck but still within spec. My understanding is that the tires on the truck are rated even higher than that, the axle is not. Trailer weight is well under spec.

Iirc my biggest worries about the F450 was performance on snow and ice which may not be an issue after seeing some of these tires. Other worry was how it'd be just using it as a vehicle to drive around in and do yard work with.

Maybe I should rethink about it. It's not too late to change my mind.

Such a deep rabbit hole. Lol!

Don't flame for linking a Lite Brite video, but tire issues? Just putting it out there.

Rewatching this now and it reminded me to check with you @toximus, did you add the electric heat option? When it's cold out this engine will not warm up at idle, not even at high idle. You have to be working it to get any heat into it. The electric heat is necessary where we live. Sit at a stop light too long and the engine cools off.

Rewatching this now and it reminded me to check with you @toximus, did you add the electric heat option? When it's cold out this engine will not warm up at idle, not even at high idle. You have to be working it to get any heat into it. The electric heat is necessary where we live. Sit at a stop light too long and the engine cools off.
Sounds just like a Cummins problem...

The 6.7 Cummins has this nice little feature for warming up. You turn on the exhaust brake and it force loads the engine until it warms up, then it will cycle on and off as needed to keep temp.

Yes sir!

@Apparition I can't remember if I ever asked you. What's the payload of your truck? I think your rear heated seats and my active steering are the only differences so it should be a pretty close match.

@Apparition I can't remember if I ever asked you. What's the payload of your truck? I think your rear heated seats and my active steering are the only differences so it should be a pretty close match.
I can’t recall and I’m just about to get on a plane. Remind me next week and I’ll take a look.

Anyone familiar with installing solar? I wanted 200 watts for running the fridge, laptops/phones, and topping up the batteries without having to turn on the gen, but Sundowner can only install (2) 100 watt kits (meaning completely independent systems with their own controllers not linked panels on one controller). That seems weird to me so I'm thinking I'll just do it myself instead.

Anyone familiar with installing solar? I wanted 200 watts for running the fridge, laptops/phones, and topping up the batteries without having to turn on the gen, but Sundowner can only install (2) 100 watt kits (meaning completely independent systems with their own controllers not linked panels on one controller). That seems weird to me so I'm thinking I'll just do it myself instead.
I have 200 Watts of solar. There are two panels connected in parallel with a single controller. I have 200 A-hr of lithium batteries too.

It's fairly easy to set up. Once you have your panels mounted, wire the 2 panels together in parallel as @TurboTJ suggested and figure out where you want to mount the controller.

Once you have the panels wired together you'll want to run a heavier gauge duplex style wire to the charge controller, and then to the batteries. I would suggest running wire and a charge controller capable of handling twice the output of the 2 panels you end up getting, in case you need/want to add more later.

Example of the wire I suggested...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000NUX7Y8/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Edit: Here's some good information to help you figure out the wire size you'll need as not all 100 watt panels are "equal"...

https://www.windynation.com/jzv/inf/choosing-right-wire-size

Reactions: toximus
I wish I could go lithium but everything I read says they aren't viable in freezing temps.
You can get Battle Born batteries that have heaters built in. They are rarely needed but pretty much solve the temperature problem. Lithium batteries can be discharged in temperatures down to around 0F but can only charge when above 32F. The built in heaters (which come on automatically below 35F when enabled) eliminate the 32F limitation. Even the unheated Battle Born batteries will not be damaged below 32F because they will refuse to charge but they will discharge.