Wizard Recovery Gear

mrblaine

Crew Member
Supporting Member
This is to help those that don't the why or what in order to understand the genesis and logic behind WRG. I have developed, figured out, and designed lots of recovery gear for several folks over the years. We won't go into or clarify who for or why they no longer offer some of those products. What I will do though is respond to all the requests over the past couple of years about the products and how to get them by putting as many as I can back into production.

I also have another goal and promise. I am going to put the prices out there as reasonable as possible. I'm not going to do any dealer set ups so that will knock at least 15% off of the price to the customer. I will only sell direct. We will also try to configure stuff to be as economical as we can get it.

An example will be soft shackles. I was the driving force behind several of the offerings but I'm doing it somewhat differently. There will be a very limited selection of colors. I'm not into bumper jewelry and ya'll getting stuff that matches your undies. Soft shackles need to be bright colors for visibility so they are easy to spot, keep track of and find when you are through flipping your buddy's rig back over. Final cost will depend on how they are shipped but tentatively, it is looking like the best way to go will be to toss a pair minimum in a small flat rate. That should get us to a price of 29 bucks for 2 of them delivered or very close to that. The reason for a pair other than you need at least 2 of them anyway is due to how much that lowers the cost per each by halving the shipping. We'll investigate other shipping methods to see if we can do better but right now that is what we think might work.

The standard fairleads, and the ST Fairleads are on the way out of anodizing. I'm fairly disgusted with that stuff so far. My cost to do the UV black on a ST fairlead right now is about 14 bucks. That is just the anodizing. It is 10 bucks for the standard fairlead. I don't have any idea yet where we are with them but they should be out of the anodizer soon and I can finalize the pricing then.

I also have a batch of the new soft shackle friendly Safety Thimbles on the way. We're working on it with enthusiasm so hang in there.

Last edited:
This is to help those that don't the why or what in order understand the genesis and logic behind WRG. I have developed, figured out, and designed lots of recovery gear for several folks over the years. We won't go into or clarify who for or why they no longer offer some of those products. What I will do though is respond to all the requests over the past couple of years about the products and how to get them by putting as many as I can back into production.

I also have another goal and promise. I am going to put the prices out there as reasonable as possible. I'm not going to do any dealer set ups so that will knock at least 15% off of the price to the customer. I will only sell direct. We will also try to configure stuff to be as economical as we can get it.

An example will be soft shackles. I was the driving force behind several of the offerings but I'm doing it somewhat differently. There will be a very limited selection of colors. I'm not into bumper jewelry and ya'll getting stuff that matches your undies. Soft shackles need to be bright colors for visibility so they are easy to spot, keep track of and find when you are through flipping your buddy's rig back over. Final cost will depend on how they are shipped but tentatively, it is looking like the best way to go will to toss a pair in a small flat rate. That should get us to a price of 29 bucks for 2 of them delivered or very close to that. The reason for a pair other than you need at least 2 of them anyway is due to how much that lowers the cost per each by halving the shipping. We'll investigate other shipping methods to see if we can do better but right now that is what we think might work.

The standard fairleads, and the ST Fairleads are on the way out of anodizing. I'm fairly disgusted with that stuff so far. My cost to do the UV black on a ST fairlead right now is about 14 bucks. That is just the anodizing. It is 10 bucks for the standard fairlead. I don't have any idea yet where we are with them but they should be out of the anodizer soon.

I also have a batch of the new soft shackle friendly Safety Thimbles on the way. We're working on it with enthusiasm so hang in there.

This is awesome. I'm glad you picked up the torch. I hope it works out for you and isn't too much of a burden...(i know you won't let it be).

Reactions: Fouledplugs
This is awesome. I'm glad you picked up the torch. I hope it works out for you and isn't too much of a burden...(i know you won't let it be).

We'll see how it goes. I suspect I will get more pushback than I want over recovery gear being tools that help you accomplish a task rather than a fashion statement.

Is the site up? If not when is it expected to be up?

It won't be a separate site, it will just be a section on the normal BMB website. No idea when it will be added as I still do not have a single part in hand to even take a picture of. I got notice last night that the shackles have shipped, anodizer finally got me a price which I immediately approved, machine shop has acknowledged the Safety Thimble order without giving an accurate delivery time other than we will start them very soon. In other words, I got nothing to work with.

It won't be a separate site, it will just be a section on the normal BMB website. No idea when it will be added as I still do not have a single part in hand to even take a picture of. I got notice last night that the shackles have shipped, anodizer finally got me a price which I immediately approved, machine shop has acknowledged the Safety Thimble order without giving an accurate delivery time other than we will start them very soon. In other words, I got nothing to work with.

Ok, I looked at BMB and searched the web. Wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything. Will watch for the launch.

Reactions: FJQue and SvtLdr
We'll see how it goes. I suspect I will get more pushback than I want over recovery gear being tools that help you accomplish a task rather than a fashion statement.

My heart totally agrees with you, but my head knows that fashion statements are a bigger market. Business is about giving people what they want.
Embrace it.

ShackleEarlobes.jpg.png

Those that know, know. Those that don't can go on amazon, Factor5, etc.

This is a real problem, in general, for our platform. Many folks just want cheap, because they either don't care, or don't want to take the time to learn what cheap means. I can't begin to count the number of times people have asked me for advice, do the opposite of what I told them, then come back complaining about the decision they made to buy junk.

This makes it very difficult for companies who make quality stuff to compete, often resulting in inventory that doesn't move, and the ultimate disappearance of product lines. I fear we're seeing the latter now with the good stuff for our TJs and LJs. :(

This is to help those that don't the why or what in order to understand the genesis and logic behind WRG. I have developed, figured out, and designed lots of recovery gear for several folks over the years. We won't go into or clarify who for or why they no longer offer some of those products. What I will do though is respond to all the requests over the past couple of years about the products and how to get them by putting as many as I can back into production.

An example will be soft shackles. I was the driving force behind several of the offerings but I'm doing it somewhat differently. There will be a very limited selection of colors. I'm not into bumper jewelry and ya'll getting stuff that matches your undies. Soft shackles need to be bright colors for visibility so they are easy to spot, keep track of and find when you are through flipping your buddy's rig back over. Final cost will depend on how they are shipped but tentatively, it is looking like the best way to go will be to toss a pair minimum in a small flat rate. That should get us to a price of 29 bucks for 2 of them delivered or very close to that. The reason for a pair other than you need at least 2 of them anyway is due to how much that lowers the cost per each by halving the shipping. We'll investigate other shipping methods to see if we can do better but right now that is what we think might work.

The standard fairleads, and the ST Fairleads are on the way out of anodizing. I'm fairly disgusted with that stuff so far. My cost to do the UV black on a ST fairlead right now is about 14 bucks. That is just the anodizing. It is 10 bucks for the standard fairlead. I don't have any idea yet where we are with them but they should be out of the anodizer soon and I can finalize the pricing then.

I'm encouraged to hear about your progress and looking forward to those shackles. Thanks for keeping us in the loop.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that prefers bright colored stuff. So much easier to see for safety and for cleanup. I'd rather not leave my stuff on the trail.

Yup. I have black trailer tie downs that I regret because they're difficult to see and difficult to audit. Everything I've bought since is bright and ugly. Only exception is my winch line because I can't stand daily driving with such an ugly winch line.

• Haha
Reactions: L J and Apparition