Your First / Old Jeep Thread

Yeah there is a lot of similarity. The AEV wheels are discontinued now though as they focus on the newer designs for newer models. They still do the Pintler wheel, but not the Pintler Beadlock, so your only hope of finding these now is second hand or if you're lucky some dealer somewhere with new old stock.

One big difference though is the Mammoth wheels are very concave looking, sorta deep dish but not, where as the AEV design is very flat in comparison. I'm not sure how the actual offsets and widths compare, but the Mammoth wheels certainly appear to be wider, but part of that might just be an optical illusion as the lug nuts on the AEV design are more recessed from what I can see.
I wish the Pintlers came in a 15"! I would be all over finding a set.

Reactions: Oman Jeep
I wish the Pintlers came in a 15"! I would be all over finding a set.
Yeah it would be nice... I'm actually okay with the 17" though... it does give me the option of running bigger brakes in there which would be the right thing to do for 37" and above for sure. Still undecided on how long I'll push my luck on the stock axle, or whether I'll be looking at JL donor axles or something fully aftermarket... need to see how the budget recovers.

Reactions: seabass
Yeah it would be nice... I'm actually okay with the 17" though... it does give me the option of running bigger brakes in there which would be the right thing to do for 37" and above for sure. Still undecided on how long I'll push my luck on the stock axle, or whether I'll be looking at JL donor axles or something fully aftermarket... need to see how the budget recovers.
Are you on the Dana 30/35 combo or do you have a 44 in the rear?

Are you on the Dana 30/35 combo or do you have a 44 in the rear?

Fortunately for export spec, or certainly GCC spec, they all got Dana 44's in the rear.

On top of that, sand is quite kind to the axles as the tires spin quite freely on them so we don't get the sudden stop you might get when a spinning tire finds traction hopping up a rock, or a torsional twisting of the half shafts if you accidentally steer on slick rock with a locker engaged, just don't need to worry about that. So in my experience sand has been very forgiving for larger tire sizes and we can to a certain degree get away with a lot more than what would be standard advice in the US. Plus the motor is stock and I have a more gentle giant with flotation driving style rather than beating on it. Biggest thing here is bending axles from jumps so a good truss helps, along with running lower pressures if you are gonna bounce around so you land on big soft balloons rather than hard heavy tires.

First Jeep was a present to myself for my 18th birthday; an 1989 YJ (i still have but will probably sell soon) It was a lot of fun and definitely got me hooked but was just one problem after another, so after 1 year I bought the TJ I still drive today!

driveway.JPG

IMG_1723.jpg

When I first got her, 18 years ago:

View attachment 214478

Over time it grew up to this stage:

View attachment 214471

Then... things got carried away...

View attachment 214479

And here's a more recent picture...

View attachment 214476

She's had to be on hold for a while... this year's not been great but... will get it finished soon. She's changed a lot over the years but she's still my first car, my first Jeep, and will keep it forever.

2 Years ago added this one to the collection - loving all the memories it's bringing back from the pre-Brute days. Looking forward to building it up bigger and better than the other one used to be.

View attachment 214480
Don't know if I've seen you on here...nice stuff.

Have you got any camels? I have 2 TJ's, and some CJ's, but I've never had a camel. I've always leaned toward the 2 hump 🐫 camel, I figure the towing capacity is better. I bet someone could make a great joke out of that . Camel Tow.

Keep posting your projects, really nice Brute and TJ.

• Haha
Reactions: TJ Starting
Don't know if I've seen you on here...nice stuff.

Have you got any camels? I have 2 TJ's, and some CJ's, but I've never had a camel. I've always leaned toward the 2 hump 🐫 camel, I figure the towing capacity is better. I bet someone could make a great joke out of that . Camel Tow.

Keep posting your projects, really nice Brute and TJ.

Haha - those camels can be worth more than both my TJ's combined. Interestingly the double-hump thing is geographic - they are native more to regions like Mongolia where the temperatures range from -55 to +30°C where as our temperatures can range from 0 to +55°C so... I fear the double hump model would overheat here. I've never seen one.

I have often given thought to owning a Ford F550 rollback with a Camel Tow logo on the door just to haul my toys to the desert. That might get me a one way ticket home. 🤣